“A real beach hotel”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Bentota
UK
“A real beach hotel”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed for just three nights Feb 2014. Very comfortable hotel that is situated right on the beach - literally.
Very helpful and friendly staff - all of them.
Rooms are very well appointed and comfortable.
Nice pool facilities.
Watched a young couple get married on the first day I arrived - all from the comfort of my balcony.
Great place for relaxing and doing a beach holiday but be careful with the sea currents as they can be strong. Good if you want to surf a little too.
Only thing that I thought could do with a slight upgrade was the restaurants - food was okay, but wouldn't absolutely rave about it, but that having been said it was perfectly edible and satisfying, just not quite at the top end of cuisine
Would recommend it for couples

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank UkDubai
MathewVM, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Bentota, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for sharing your views about your recent stay at Vivanta by Taj Bentota.

We are delighted to note that you had a memorable stay with us. As you rightly mentioned, the location of the hotel is unique and is it is one of the finest beach resorts in Sri Lanka. We do have guests who keep returning to stay with us because of this very reason. The newly renovated rooms and restaurants have made the destination complete.
We have noted your comments regarding the food and assure you that our Executive Chef is taking a closer look at the offerings. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 20, 2014

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we had nothing but first class service , after a long transfer which we were expecting we were greeted with the most warmest of welcomes which quiet frankly was wonderful and continued throughout our stay beautiful clean immaculate rooms to whom we can thank lalith for making us laugh every day for his extraordinary towel art , for fantastic cocktails to fab poolside service to all the restaurant's within the hotel a special thank you to sunny and all of his staff we will definitely 're visit this little bit of paradise again

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank cardlff
Thank you for taking the trouble of sending you feedback through the TripAdvisor about your recent stay at Vivanta by Taj Bentota.

We are delighted to note that you had a memorable stay with us. Our team of Managers, Chefs and associates are always striving to ensure that we provide the highest standards of service and products at all times. Chef Sunny is encouraged by your compliments and thanks you for the same.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014

First visit to Taj. Bentota and to Sri Lanka.Beautiful location with easy access to a lovely quiet beach.Wonderful Taj. service in every department, excellent swimming pool,good food and comfortable recently renovated bright rooms.We will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank shivchouksey
MathewVM, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Bentota, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the trouble of sharing your feedback about your recent stay at Vivanta by Taj Bentota.

We are delighted to note that you had a memorable stay with us. As you rightly pointed out, the stunning location of the hotel with has a long coastline is indeed appreciated by our guests. We are happy to note that you have enjoyed staying in our newly renovated rooms.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 13, 2014

The location of Vivanta by Taj Bentota is really its best asset. Beautiful views and a lovely beach. The rooms are comfortable, recently renovated which was nice. The pool area is lovely and very relaxing. The main area which I think makes the hotel fall short of its 5 star to a 3/4 star ranking is the food and the levels of hygiene demonstrated by restaurant staff. I did not feel comfortable eating the food which on several occasions appeared to be undercooked and this was highlighted to the chef. Further, no standard of hygiene was demonstrated when setting the table for breakfast/lunch. I watched staff take the table settings from a dirty table and lay them on a new table ready for arriving guests. The tables were never cleaned in preparation for new guests. The crumbs of the placemats were just shaken off and relaid on the new table. I had no peace that anything I was eating from was clean and it appeared that good management of the staff at the Palm restaurant was clearly lacking. The fruit and salad didnt look like they were cleaned properly so we avoided them as well. Thankfully, none of my family members were sick but overall the dining experience was really very disappointing. You shouldnt have to worry about hygiene levels at a 5star hotel. It is a pity as the hotel grounds are really beautiful and it was a comfortable stay (although my husband didnt particulary like the bed or pillows). I think if you avoid eating at the hotel, you should be fine but hopefully the management will tackle this porblem soon enough to make any future stay much more comfortable and convenient.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Lauren W
MathewVM, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Bentota, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the trouble of sharing your views about your recent stay at Vivanta by Taj Bentota.

We are happy to note that you have enjoyed the hotel, its location, the recent renovation of the rooms and public areas and the swimming pool. We are encouraged by the excellent reviews that we are getting about the hotel and its services post renovations.

We have noted with concern your impressions about the restaurant during breakfast and lunch services in our All Day Diner. The Food & Beverage Manger and our Learning and Development Managers have assured me that this matter will be taken up on priority so that our guests are reassured about the hygiene standards that are being maintained in this hotel. This is a OHSAS 18001 certified hotel and we frequently invite our guests to see the back of the house areas including our kitchens and food production areas, as we are very proud of the standards of hygiene maintained by this hotel. You have my personal assurance that we do not compromise on these standards more so when it comes to food safety and hygiene. However our Chefs have been briefed to be careful when displaying the fruits and salads. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. There are over 300 guests from all over the world every day for breakfast who enjoy our hospitality and we assure you that there has never been a cause for concern while dining at our food & beverage outlets.

I regret once again the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us at Vivanta by Taj Bentota and urge you to treat this experience as a one off aberration

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us as sincere feedback of a well-wisher such as yours is vital for us to improve upon our existing standards.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to the Emerald Isle
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed February 11, 2014

when you are staying in a five star.. your expectations are very high from the hotel...

Taj being Taj, it manages to surprise me every single time.. this time the surprise was an anniversary cake which not just looked fabulous but even tasted delicious..

Loved the location.. the easy beach access, great sea views form the balcony, amazing breakfast (they had almost everything under the sun).. the dinner was special with the live music.. the piano man was superbb...

On the downside.. i think the bathrooms need an upgrade.. also, the TV in our room was not working properly.. the maintenance guy tried solving the problem but it dint help.. not expected from a hotel of this kind..

overall.. a great stay but could have been better...

Room Tip: almost all rooms have a sea view.. but choose a room on a higher floor..
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shr_Mod

We are happy and honored to note that you and your wife could celebrate your anniversary with us. The Chef was delighted to note that you enjoyed the cake and thanks you for your compliments. The 4 Food and beverage options is ideal especially for those guest who stay for more than a week. We are glad that you like the entertainment provided in the evenings.

We have noted with concern regarding your comments regarding the TV and the bathroom and we do apologize for the same. Please be assured that the concerned departmental heads will be looking into the matter. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed February 9, 2014

It has been my first experience of staying with a TAJ hotel. Well, I'm not disappointed-))
First of all, I was really impressed by the hotel's lobby which is not, frankly speaking, a common thing. Usually, I'm just ok (or not) with it but this time I did enjoy spending some time in the lobby zone in the evenings, perhaps due to its combination of luxury and cosiness.. Same is applicable for the Shack outdoors restaurant which always offered fresh fish&seafood cooked in line with our wishes. All 4 restaurants were great and I was never upset about meals variety and options however the Shack was my favourite. At the same time I have to mention that cocktails were of middling quality and I found nothing special about them though I tried not only mojito (preferred one but.. was there any rum?!) but some others with same result. Complimentary fruit sticks (watermelon, pineapple, papaya pieces) at the pool area were much appreciated by our family.
The pool is 1.2m deep though I read in the hotel info book about 2.5m. Taking into account that the hotel had been renovated recently I believe someone forgot to make the same with this very page..
The room was really big and there was enough space for jogging if anyone wanted to. It was made up (if not sterilised) daily and the cleanness was amazing. On top of that, every day we saw a new sculpture made of towels and every member of our family, especially the little one, was admiring of the sculptor's creativity and we all were trying to guess what we would see the next day.. Hence, I'd like to express my gratitude to Priyanga, our room boy for his commitment and artist skills. The negative about the room (and not ours only I suspect) was the following: there were two doors connecting our room with the neighbour ones the noise isolation of which was very poor. When a family on the right was watching TV my head was full of ideas about a tiny local nuclear attack. I was really happy when they checked out and the followers seemed not to be in favour of watching TV (just like a nice couple on the left). The other noise factor is the railway which is just few steps away. Trains are not often but regular. I guess rooms of the left wing should be better as far as railway noise is concerned. The final room note is that I did miss a robe (probably, available with more expensive accomodation) and cotton buds.
The staff was extremely welcome and everybody spoke English. They even learned key words in Russian (there were lots of Russians that days together with Ukrainians and Kazakhs who speak Russian widely) and I was impressed by the willingness of some people to move further..
The only fly in the ointment was the WiFi price. There were several plans and the 24hr cost ~$17.5 which I must name as a pure rip-off. Oh yeah, it's just great that this only plan allows you to connect a second device for free..
The beach line is fantastic with its golden sand, warm waters and strong waves of the Indian ocean and the brightest sun in blue sky! There are several guarded gates to the beach closing at 7.30pm. Guards will check your room number every time you go in&out. You'll find lots of water sports and entertainment centres there as well as touts and scams. The latter is very easy to be just ignored. However, do not miss a chance to purchase some wonderful ripe pineapples or mangos at bargain price..
The last thing I have to say is that it took us almost 4 hours to get here from Colombo (we departed at 6pm on a weekday) and less than 2 hours on our way back (Sunday). The Southern expressway is the best solution for those who need to go to/from the airport directly.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as far from the railway as possible
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
MathewVM, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Bentota, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experiences through the TripAdvisor about your recent stay at Vivanta by Taj Bentota.

We are delighted to note that you had a memorable stay with us. Our Chefs and the Food & beverage team are encouraged by your comments and thank you for your compliments. The Shack Seafood Restaurant has a stunning location and as your rightly pointed out serves the best seafood in the region. Our Housekeeping Team is also delighted by your compliments especially our associate Priyanga. We thank you for recognizing his sincere efforts.

We have noted with concern about your comments regarding the Bar offerings and assure you that our Food & Beverage Manager is looking in to the matter. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
We have also noted your comments regarding the inter-connecting doors in the rooms and the WiFi and assure you that these issues will be resolved very soon.

You will be happy to note that the work on the Expressway is going on in full swing and very soon our guests will be able to reach the hotel directly from the Airport within 2 hours, if not earlier.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I was there at Taj Bentota for 3 days. The room facilities, food, pub and other facilities were excellent. The frontdesk helped me with planning my tour and cab facilities. The rooms were excellent and they placed an exotic wine in our room. Overall a great experience

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We thank you for sharing your experiences about you recent stay with us.

We are delighted to note that you had a memorable stay with and and my team is encouraged by your compliments and thank you for the same.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bentota
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka
The Blue Water
#3 of 10 in Wadduwa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,361 reviews
Paradise Road The Villa Bentota

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Bentota? Share your experiences!