“Tranquil and Peace”

Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Bentota
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Tranquil and Peace”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have visited in a long time. Since the renovation the hotel is beautifully maintained. The rooms are large and airy with lots of space for you to move around ( I opted for premium indulgence, and it was worth its value). The staff are quite courteous and very friendly. The Palm restaurant staff were very attentive and really good service. But the food menu I agree, could be better... It was tiring the second day to have the same food... and you kind of loose your appetite. And I found out about the pillow menu only later so my sleep also bit affected due to the hard pillows but the bed was extra comfy and sooooooo good, it didnt really matter and i slept without the pillows :P. I even had my own Jacuzzi outside my room balcony facing the ocean which was awesome. Anyways all in all I had the most needed break and I am so glad I chose this hotel for my holiday.
As in terms of activity you can do plenty around the area, you can take a long boat ride in madu ganga for a very reasonable price. While on the boat trip you can bird watch, go for a Fish foot massage at the river itself or even visit some cinnamon peelers. For More, you can easily travel to other happening cities like Hikkaduwa and Galle quite easily.
Will def planning on going there again!. Cant wait.

Room Tip: Opt for Premium Indulgence rooms. Its a bit pricey but its totally worth it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
MathewVM, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Bentota, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the trouble of sending us your feedback about your recent stay with us at Vivanta by Taj Bentota.

We are delighted to note that you had relaxing holiday. We have taken note about your comments regarding the buffet menus and the pillows and taken necessary steps. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed in January 2013. I am definitely late in reviewing , but since it was such a pleasant stay, i feel i must. The hotel has great location with a great view of the beack.we had a view of the beach as well as the swimming pool. it has vast area, lots of things to keep children occupied and exceptional food. my compliments to the Chef and his team. It is also a very hospitable hotal, with care to detail, and to minor things that are essential for a comfortable stay. we were travelling with a toddler, and we had all the help from the staff that one could hope for. Its a resort i would go again and again to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the trouble of sending your feedback about your experiences in our hotel.

We are delighted to note that you and your family had a memorable stay with us. You will be happy to note that the hotel renovations are now complete and we are getting excellent reviews from guests.

Scarborough, yorkshire
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 21st - 31st Oct'13 10 nights Dinner, B&B, room 609 situated above the Palms Restaurant overlooking the pool, sea and sunset view. Lovely decor, everything is exceptionally clean, tastefully furnished, comfy queen size bed. Nice quality wooden furniture on balcony.

The journey from home in UK long and extremely tiring, 22 hours from leaving our house, 2 flights and a 2-3 hour drive from the airport which was the icing on the cake, we were exhausted. The driver greeted us and told us we could take the local roads which would be a 5 hour journey through rush hour traffic or we could pay the 250 rupee toll fee to go on the new highway which he assured us would only take 2-3 hours. I had already paid for my transfer from airport in advance and consider the "new road" toll should be unquestionably part of the price. You are then faced with the bumpy local roads (part under construction). Weary, falling asleep we agreed and paid the driver 1000 rupees on arrival at the hotel.....stupidly. I wonder if he was an opportunist and recognised we have "just landed", just obtained currency on arrival in airport we wouldn't have much in lower denominations. You cannot get Sri Lankan rupees in the UK.

The hotel a welcoming sight, gated and guarded by security the railway runs behind which is an interesting sight! The station platform is seconds walk away. Greeted by the doorman, who opened the car doors, welcomed us and reception were waiting for us with floral garlands placed around our necks which was nice! (Wards off those long haul airplane smells!)

The lobby is beautiful with vaulted wooden ceiling, part fret work panelled and plenty of comfy seats with views of the ocean.

Dual aspect beaches which are long and safe enough to walk, the surf rough and red flags flying. You can learn to surf on this beach. Wildlife disappointingly not in abundance - sand crabs and approx. only 4 chipmunks which are so amusing playing around the pool. There are at least 2 Salamanders which frequent the sea view sunbeds which come out for a nosey or a morsel or two! We did spot a beautiful kingfisher on the beach.

The half board option is only in the Palms Restaurant which has air conditioned inside seating and outdoor seating. Many nights a pianist played which was ambient and on other nights dancing took place outside. Not the best location for entertainment as many diners missed out, whilst others blocked the entrance preventing seated guests from viewing and waiters carrying out their jobs due to obstruction. The staff are lovely, so helpful and friendly - the female maitre-d's were welcoming and remembered your preferences in terms of table, drinks choice and room no. which made you feel special. The food served buffet style - I'm not a fan, I prefer to be waited upon as you do not tend to end up eating with you partner at the same time! You end up rushing your food and not talking to one another. However, the food was good with plenty of variety, one criticism - too much salt added to dishes. Loved the fresh soups and the naan breads made in a clay oven in seconds before you!

We ate in the oriental restaurant one evening and the food, whilst different from what I expected was very good and portions plentiful. Nice to be waited upon. The prawn starter is amazing, huge succulently sweet prawns. The yung chow rice lovely and light although sausage does not go with it! Bizarre.

Cheapest bottle of red wine was 4600 rupees which we took back to our room to enjoy another evening. 2 starters, 1 mains with rice and the wine came to £50 in sterling.............
....now! Our local representative from Diahelm(?) travel Bradley told us we would only pay a supplement as we had already paid our half board ........NO! We paid the full amount which I consider appalling. I have never stayed in a 5* hotel on this board basis or all inclusive and NOT received a supplement to eat a-la carte. Good job we didn't try the sea view restaurant and Shack! I can see why the sea view restaurant was empty.

Drinks were expensive, soft drinks as expensive as alcohol and UK prices, as was the food.

The lunch time menu offered something for all tastes, recommend the satay chicken which was better than that I have eaten in Malaysia. The calamari was slightly over cooked.

Breakfast was same buffet style offering all the usual fare however, bit of waiter service other than coffee would be nice. I have seen a better selection at Jetwing Beach in Negombo and breakfast there was waiter served as was evening meal.

Nice hotel, bathrobes and slippers in the room, towels changed twice daily. We returned to our room to find various amusing towel creations on the bed.

Bentota town a short walk from the hotel, over the bridge. Didn't enjoy the experience on foot, we were badgered by locals and followed down the street. The shops were dirty and traffic verging on mad.

The Tease Bar in hotel had live music each night, very ambient, morrocan lighting, consider the dance entertainment woukd be better facilitated here as opposed to the Palms restaurant.

The spa was lovely, had a body massage with my husband which was fabulous, 7500 rupees each. Very professional, discreet and nice experience. Approx £71 UK sterling for both and very worthwhile.

Finally, after breakfast the day before departure, one of the chaps who cleaned the room wrote on the bed "goodbye" - nice touch however I was not leaving until 2.30 pm the following day! A little premature I felt, we then met with questions the entire day - "your last day?" "You go home?" - completely spoilt the enjoyment of our full day, made it unwelcoming, constant reminder and almost wished I was going that day. To me I had 45% of the following day left in the hotel and that was my last day!

Bit confusing who to leave a tip to for cleaning the room, faces appeared I'd never seen before and it was obvious the new interest shown in us or loitering outside in the corridor outside the room- a tip was awaited. Gave a substantial tip in the evening to the gent delivering a small gift from the hotel (gift that he waited for his tip!) then the following day another chap was asking us if we liked the words on the bed the day before written in petals - never seen him before, gave him a small tip to which he appeared ungrateful fingering the amount in his hand to see how much I had given before I walked away!!!!!! How very rude!
Perhaps he should liaise with his colleague to share the large tip given to him.

Better still, the hotel should discourage this and offer envelopes for guests to place their tips within to be handed in at the close of the holiday - all staff work hard so the tips should be shared equally to ensure "behind the scenes" staff are rewarded.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Sri Lanka just bear in mind you are 3-5 hours drive away from any sights and attractions. Overall, I feel Jetwing Beach was a more memorable stay for us in 2010.

• Stayed October 2013
London
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We visited Vivanta by Taj in October and had a lovely stay. To begin with the rooms were exceptional and views were superb especially from 5th floor which is where we stayed. Upon arrival they upgraded our rooms with no added charge or fuss and the welcome on arrival was fantastic. The beach was clean and really was “the Golden Mile” as it seemed to span for miles and miles. The pool area was excellent and very well catered – especially the fruit served on cocktail sticks every day!!!!. The Jiva Spa was exceptional, by means of treatments provided and the staff service. One piece of advice, it would be nice to have the spa menu in every room to peruse the treatments available at your own leisure.
We would like to thank and show appreciation to certain members of the team at Vivanta beginning with Avanthi, who was the first staff member we met and who arranged our rooms for us, she helped us in every way and made our stay at Vivanta very comfortable and exceptional. We would also like to thank Mr Matthews for always coming to talk to us, he accommodated us in every way possible, and this was much appreciated. He is a superb general manager. In terms of The Palms restaurant: Sunny the Head Chef was friendly and always encouraged us to try new recipes. Manjula the Chef was fantastic, cooking us an array of Sri Lankan curries one of the nights and even giving us a printed copy of the recipes on request. Samantha was very helpful and from the first night he asked us if there was anything specific we wanted to eat each night and would then ensure this was done every evening, asking the Chefs to cook to our whim!!!  Sesil was very entertaining and always had a smile on his face and a joke to make, a joy to see at The Palms. Sampath at the pool area was superb with his service. Every day he would arrange our sun loungers without any questions, as he knew we would be there after breakfast. Mrs Vaishali Chatterjee was a ray of sunshine, so bubbly and lovely to talk to; we would take up her time in the evening talking about anything and everything. Her attention to detail with her staff was fantastic and thank you very much for the teas you gave us! The housekeeping boys who cleaned our room daily would make us different towel animals and even decorate our bed with palm tree leaves with messages. The saxophone player (sorry we didn’t catch his name) who played every Tuesday evening was outstanding and played music upon request.
The spa we all visited frequently, myself, my wife and my two daughters had a variety of treatments. I had the Sammardhana daily and Suranga was superb. The spa is kept very clean and tidy and the therapists behave in a very professional manner. Heika was very friendly and helpful.
In terms of the surrounding areas we visited Kande Vihara Temple, which was a beautiful Buddhist Temple and we also visited a turtle hatchery. One word of advice beware of taxi drivers working on commission.
Overall our experience and stay at this hotel was completely above par, as expected from the Taj Group of Hotels and we enjoyed every minute of our stay here. Not only was the service from everyone we encountered superb but they all went that extra mile to ensure we enjoyed ourselves; we were well and truly pampered. In all honesty the surrounding beach areas and Sri Lanka speaks for itself, but the quality of staff and service provided speaks volumes for this hotel. So we want to say a huge thank you to everyone and to anyone we may have forgotten above. There is no comparison, Vivanta by Taj Bentota should be number one on trip advisor for the Bentota area and we highly recommend this hotel. We will definitely be making a visit to Vivanta by Taj Bentota again.

Narendra and Asmita Pandya

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have lovely views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank np86London
Dear Mr & Mrs Pandya,

We than you for taking the trouble of sending your feedback through the TripAdvisor, about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are delighted to note that you had a memorable stay with us. We enjoyed looking after both of you as much as you enjoyed our services.

As you rightly pointed out, our team members are our greatest assets and they take great pride in ensuring that they provide in providing the best of service at all times. I have passed on your individual compliments to Avanti, Chef Sunny, Samantha, Sisil, Sampath and Vaishali and they are delighted and encouraged by the same.

It is patrons like you who inspire the Taj hotels to continue to grow and provide the highest level of service at all times.

Thank you once again for your generous compliments. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 8, 2013

After a rough road trip, we were delighted to reach tis beautiful hotel and immediately immersed oursleves into the Taj at Bentota. Five star on their extraordinary service! We were staying in their "Deluxe Delight" room and on request, without any hassle and, promptly we were shifted to the "Premium Temptation Suite"- this was remarkable for us as the cricket Legend, Sachin Tendulkar had stayed in this suite recently (a package offering scenery and filling my cricket fever)!
We enjoyed the tranquility of the beach whilst our stay in the hotel along with a couple of treatments at the friendly spa - true indulgence!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MathewVM, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Bentota, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the trouble of sending us your feedback about the recent stay at Vivanta by Taj Bentota.

We are delighted to note that you had a memorable stay with us.

The location of this hotel is unique and we do get patrons like you who come back to this hotel year after year.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel was quite simply the best we have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. It’s as clean, well designed as classy as expected of a well established five star hotel but the staff were amazing.
Our journey there took over 24 hours with the run from Colombo airport taking nearly 4 hours (awful traffic and a poor road in from the expressway) but the welcome we received lifted our tired spirits. We were signed in by "Maduscar", a wonderfully friendly and professional member of the reception staff, who showed us to a beautiful room better I’m sure than the one we had booked. We got to know the reception staff from the many times they went so far out of their way to help us, thank you all.
The location is idyllic, palm trees and mangroves line a soft and clean sandy beach but the wonderful warm seas were quite rough while we were there. The flora and fauna of Sri Lanka are stunning but we loved this beach for the rare sea turtles that also enjoy it here and the lightening fast beach crabs constantly patrolling to catch some. The seas give up a generous and diverse harvest almost daily and we loved visiting the local fish market to watch it laid out as much as tasting it cooked in local syle, a first for me.
The hotel guests were predominantly a diverse mix of European and Arabic families and couples with Russian guests most numerous.
The food was diverse mix to suit all tastes but we found ourselves enjoying the excellent local and Indian cuisine almost every meal. My wife gave numerous compliments to the chef and we were taken aback when the restaurant manager "Sunny" organised cookery demonstrations by the highly qualified chefs, thank you all for that and we will think of you whenever we try to cook as well here.
We could write a much longer article praising everything we loved about our Honeymoon here but the main thing we remember will be the friendly and helpful staff in this highly organised and well run Hotel.

Warm regards and fond memories
Mr & Mrs Reynolds

Room Tip: All great but we loved our sea view balcony room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr & Mrs Reynold,

Delighted to hear from you about your recent stay at Vivanta by Taj Bentota! We are glad to note that you had a memorable stay with us.

Our Team of Managers, Chefs and associates are our greatest assets and they take great pride in ensuring that all our guests have a great experience. Madhusha and Chef Sunny were delighted and encouraged by your compliments.

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed November 4, 2013

A great place to go if you want to unwind, relax and practically do nothing. The beaches are practically deserted and you can have as much 'me' time as you want (unless of course there is a stray trio like ours that will shatter the silence and shout above the waves)... but the beach is long and large enough to move away.
The food at the sea food shack is very good... and apt for sea food lovers. Those who are not hardcore sea food eaters - may want to prepare for something else!
Service is good and prompt too.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at Vivanta by Taj Bentota.

We are happy to note that you and your friends had a memorable stay with us. The beaches in front of our hotel is serene and scenic.

We are happy to note that you enjoyed your meal experience at The SHACK - our seafood restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bentota
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka
#1 of 2 in Ahungalla
The Surf Hotel
The Surf Hotel
#6 of 24 in Bentota

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Bentota? Share your experiences!