We stopped in Bentota for a couple of nights before flying out of Colombo.
Our first impression of the hotel was great. A lovely lobby and greeted with garlands and fresh juice. The room although clean was nothing special- ocean view room but you could only just see it if leaning over the balcony to the side. This is a big resort and feels that way when you are there. We have stayed in equally large resorts before but not felt it so impersonal. This is not something they can easily change but we felt we would have done better elsewhere at a smaller hotel perhaps.
The pool is lovely but could not see easy access to the beach (set more up on a hill than on the beach as such).
The buffet was very good quality and would recommend the Chinese restaurant. Although the setting is quite dark (basement level) the food is lovely!
Room service was very slow (40 minutes for drinks to arrive) and when it did arrive the order was wrong.
I was really disappointed that there were charges for wifi. This was the first hotel out of many in Sri Lanka where you had to pay for it as an additional. From small boutique hotels to large resorts this was always included and is necessary for my husband to have easy access to work emails. From an earlier post the response seemed as though this was now included so we chose this hotel and to find out it was an extra charge we wished we'd gone elsewhere, as there is plenty of choice along that road all with good reviews.
Sadly it was at check out we were let down even further. The gentleman checking us out was unfriendly and unhelpful. He did not ask us how our stay had been and then informed us we needed to pay for a night we had already settled the day before. (we extended by a night as we were flying in the early hours so was easier to stay than start moving hotels for the sake of a few hours). He apparently had no record of our payment but luckily I had my copy of the receipt. He did not applogise once and made us feel like we were in the wrong. When charging for the night we did owe he did this wrong and we had to make two payments, not the worst thing in the world, but again with no apology. Disappointing.
Our hotel car booked to take us to the airport was over 20 minutes late and no apology offered. We weren't told when it would be arriving and when I asked where the car was he simply said he didn't know, so I had to ask for him to call and check as we had a flight to catch.
A shame to end our stay in Sri Lanka this way. We would not stay there again and would suggest to others to look at other options available in the area- there are plenty!
As a side note Bentota is a nice place the highlight of our trip was taking a boat trip along the river and stoping off at the temple on the way. This was about 2,000 rupees each for 2 hours and well worth it! The mangroves are beautiful and we stopped off at a house on the way back to be shown a baby crocodile! The man running it met us at the temple and gave us a full tour which was fascinating and not something he had to do. Great guy and thank him for his time and explanations!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sri Lanka is referred to as a ‘small miracle,’ for despite the island’s relatively small size, its natural wonders and beauty are in abundance. Vivanta by Taj – Bentota is located on the south west coast of Sri Lanka. The hotel lies over a lush hill that overlooks the Indian Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Prestigia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Vivanta by Taj - Bentota reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vivanta By Taj - Bentota Hotel Bentota
- Taj Exotica Hotel Bentota
- Bentota Taj Exotica Hotel
- Taj Exotica Sri Lanka
- Taj Exotica Srilanka
- Taj Exotica Bentota