The Villa Bentota is a stunning Bawa boutique hotel with impeccable service from all the staff, from the Manager to the Gardener and everyone in between. I came to relax for 2 days and the hotel delivered everything I was after. Highlights include the great new pool, a really comfortable bed, the beautifully packaged gifts from the shop, and great food. The following comments are simply to try to help this new hotel (opened in December last year) to move from a 4/5 to a 5/5 in my eyes.
(1) I stayed in Room 4 which is beautifully done up but on the ground floor and, if the doors and curtains are open, anyone can see it. It would be great to have some net curtains on the doors and windows so that you can be in the room and enjoy the great Sri Lankan sunshine but not be viewable to everyone. The outside bathroom is nice in theory but in practise, at night, it's a mosquito and moth heaven. it would be good to have some sort of net that could be shut at night. Please also don't leave the door open to the bedroom when you service the room at night. As and when you come round to refurbishing rooms, it would be great if you can think about the electrics and how to have a master switch at the door and bed side that controls the lamps rather than the rather ugly overhead light.
(2) A hotel of this standard should provide toweling dressing gowns and slippers - I was told they're on order but you've been open for 10 months. Things aren't that slow in Sri Lanka.
(3) The food was delicious but overpriced vs. other boutique and high end hotels in Sri Lanka. For example, a diet coke is Rs 120 in the shops, Rs 220 at the Light house and Rs 345 at Villa Bentota. The Lighthouse have probably got the pricing about right for your market.
(4) The hotel doesn't have a liscense currently and this wasn't made clear until I got to the hotel. It would be great if this could be presented more overtly on the website and/or in communication when confirming the booking. It actually can be a positive as you're not charging the corkage.
All of the above are simply aimed at helping the hotel move from an already excellent to an "out of this world". Thank you to everyone for such a wonderful stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Villa Bentota is a unique and private beach-side hotel; Paradise Road's newest property located 2 hours south of Colombo. Offering 15 individually designed rooms and suites with all modern amenities and services, The Villa Bentota is located in the Mohotti Walauwa which was Geoffrey Bawa's first boutique hotel in Sri Lanka. Refurbished and extended with incredible sensitivity to the original design, Shanth Fernando has created yet another masterpiece to give those who stay in the city at Tintagel a new special resort option in true Paradise Road style. With sprawling coconut palm-dressed lawns opening to the sea, two swimming pools, a restaurant, The Villa Café open to all passers-by and a Paradise Road gift store, The Villa Shop and an art gallery, The Villa Gallery, The Villa Bentota is a must-stop for all those traveling down the southern coast of Sri Lanka. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, MrandMrsSmith, Orbitz, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Paradise Road The Villa Bentota reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradise Road The Villa Bentota Hotel Bentota