All reviewsboutique hotelshanth fernandorailway linegallery cafehomemade ginger beerexecutive suitegeoffrey bawasri lankabaked crabplunge poolspa ceylonadds to the charmbeautiful hotelpassing trainshuge balconypool attendantstayed for nights
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We were six adults staying for 2 nights in Paradise Road The Villa. I had booked two standard rooms and 1 executive suite (suite 3 - this was supposed to overlook the sea, but it didn't coz of the trees). First of all, the bald manager has too much attitude (about what I do not know!). Don't think he has had any lessons in customer service. All the 3 rooms had a musty smell even though it wasn't raining when we stayed there. The first night, I got bitten by 2 bed bugs in about 20 places all over my body. And this was in the executive suite!!!! Called the bald manager at about 2 am. Thankfully he came immediately. Firstly he refused to believe that the red flared up marks all over my body were due to bed bugs. Then when we insisted that he check the bed, he did find two BIG BED BUGS!!!! And you know what his response was upon seeing them - the last guest in this room must have brought these bed bugs with him!!!!!! So does this mean that the room wasn't cleaned after the last guest left??? When I asked him that he was visibly embarrassed and showed us another executive suite. This was smelling badly and the walls were damp. But since it was the middle of the night and I was with a baby, we took that room and tried to sleep. The next morning, he showed us a 3rd suite which was on the ground floor but had a smell of fresh paint as it was painted recently. We told him that we don't mind our original room as long as he cleans the bed properly. He refused saying that the whole room will be thoroughly cleaned, the bed will be removed and replaced etc etc and this will take a lot of time and didn't give us the same room back. So we had to do with the smelly room. During all this, the manager never once offered anything at all as compensation for the bad experience I had. On the last night, we had a late check out and they charged us USD 100 for that. This was already agreed upon but the least they could have done would have been to waive off this charge. Now for the best part - 2 hours after they told us that our bed bug ridden room will be closed and cleaned very thoroughly, they gave that same room to another family!!!!! We were sitting for lunch and we saw another family standing in the balcony and then emerging out of the same villa. So in conclusion, horrible stay, no warmth or consideration from the manager. They are just there to make as much money as possible without providing any real service. And I paid top dollar for this place. The food is good though. Though the waiters seemed to be all in a daze and had difficulty understanding simple requests. The level of English is also poor. Oh yes, one more thing, they treated my driver badly as well and did not provide any place for him to stay.
I went for dinner to The Club Villa on the last night and it was good. How is it as a resort - I don't know. The look and feel of both places is very similar. But one thing I do know is that I have never ever seen a boutique hotel with boutique prices where the management and the staff behave this way. I'll never return.

Room Tip: None of the rooms! And avoid suite 3!!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank Travellator10
Reviewed February 26, 2012

When first entering the hotel we were surprised by the lay-out and design. It is a low, converted colonial bungalow. It was designed by Geoffrey Bawa a world famous architect in Sri Lanka.
The design is rigorously maintained. This means that comfort and practicality do sometimes suffer. Nice looking chaires on the balcony, not comfortable. Toilet in full site of other room-users. Lighting in the dininghall so low that you don't see what is on your plate. Lack of other colours than white, grey and black.
The location is fantastic, if you don't mind the railroadtrack 3 meters next to the garden.
The track was under reconstruction, so there was no bother. However I am told that it going to be fasttraintrack between Colombo and Galle. I fear that it will be a different story then.

I agree with ''Brasur'' that for the price one could expect something different, howvere the suites are adequate for that climate.
Lovely, helpful staff, from the receptionist to the poolboy. Excellent and surprising kitchen !

An experience to be had !

Room Tip: If you are not disturbed by the tracks ; suites 1,5 or 6
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We're speaking of a 5 stars boutique hotel, were we paid $310,00, per night , so we hope to receive a really 5 stars suite, and it wasn't. We have given a mold suite at ground floor, we asked for a another one, but was the same. I do not consider a 5 star suite, were i find a concrete white painted floor, old and consumed sheets,, dirty tiles on the terrace, old windows not really weel maintened.
If we had paid up to $ 200 was fine, but at $ 310 night we expected much more, as we find in other boutique hotels in Sri Lanka.
By other side, the decoration and the location is very nice, the outdoor shared area are really well maintened and with high maintenance, the train was a some funny not absolutely disturbing, we saw it just 3 times on our two nights stay.
The restaurant was really really expensive, large part of the guest use to get to the neighborn' Restaurant Club Villa, same quality and half price!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We stayed here for six nights just after New Year and had a great time. If all you want to do is sit around, potter about and generally relax then this hotel is perfect. The railway line at the bottom of the garden (you have to cross it to get to the beach) was unfortunately being repaired and upgraded so we did not see any trains (other than an engineering train one morning). The beach is beautiful and quiet. It's possible to swim in the sea up to waist level (or deeper if you don't mind the gamble) but the currents were strong generally and the undertow very strong even at thigh level.

The hotel is beautiful and very well maintained. Our suite was a great size with a huge balcony and nice furniture. The bathrooms are great and rather like a Clerkenwell bar from 1998 with exposed cement finish and so on. Geoffrey Bawa designed the hotel in the 1970s (I think).

Our only suggestions for improvements would be to have an iron and ironing boad permanently available in the room (hidden away, as there is plenty of space) and for better lighting in the bathroom for use when shaving or applying make-up (or both).

The staff were very friendly (but not in a prying way) and helpful. They could be a little slow and forgetful but not to any level of annoyance and apologised when they got it wrong.

The hotel is expensive and there are not many deals to be had but it is worth the experience. We booked directly with the hotel and had no difficulties with the booking.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TerryMinuit
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Stunning place with amazing stylish rooms with the comfiest beds in Sri Lanka; beautiful grounds; great lap pool; right by the beach; and quite literally the best breakfast ever!!

Robert & Sophie