“Beautiful”

Paradise Road The Villa Bentota
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Bentota
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We have just had two beautiful nights at this small hotel and loved our stay. The hotel is stunning with a lovely pool and large garden area full of tall frangipani trees and slender coconut trees. Service was fantastic with even special attention by the chef who took the time to not only talk with us about what we would like to have for dinner but also arranged for a special shopping trip for the food we selected.
We were at the hotel at the end of December and the water at the beach by the hotel was dangerous however if you walk to your right and go around the point there is a beach that was safe on the day we were there. There were life guards at this beach so we asked for advice on where it was safe to swim.
This is a relaxed, quiet and luxury hotel.... Go and enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2011

Reviewed December 27, 2011

A wonderfully peaceful, quiet and relaxing hotel. We stayed in late November (warm and sunny, although regular rain showers) in suite one, which is wonderful - spacious, comfortable and with a refreshing plunge pool. The main area of the hotel is beautiful, with a large pool and lush green gardens. I read before I went reviews complaining about the beach being dirty (this is not true) and the railway being loud (this I don't know, as it was closed for maintenance work). The hotel is great value, and wonderfully relaxing. The two things that really elevate this hotel in my opinion are the food, which was unstintingly excellent (it helps if you like fish/seafood as that is the majority of the menu) and the service, which was the friendliest I think I have ever experienced. Highly recommended.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

All in all this is a great Boutique Hotel, but I am a "Details" person and to be great you need to get the DETAILS right. We stayed in Paradise Road early this month (Dec 2011). The location I found beautiful, a lovely house with a big garden, a train track and a lovely lovely beach. Certainly, the water is a little rough, but again the beach is beautiful and we spent many hours with our one year old daughter playing by the beach and the sea!! .. The train was out of service due to maintenenace so I cannot judge how loud it was, we found the track charming though. The food was delicious, i couldnt fault it, great chefs in work there. The communal areas were nicely decorated but empty and this was the general feel of the hotel. If you are looking for seclusion and silence then this is the place to be. I found that the hotel was a bit run down, many corners need to be renovated, especially I thought the SUITE 4 was nothing special at all, except the size and the view. I stayed in many Suites, also in Sri Lanka but this was not anywhere near that level. The room definitely needed some TLC on every corner and a touch of added luxury. The bathroom especially needs to be tiled up or something, not for me!! For me this was not a Suite Experience. What lacked in the room was quickly made up by the Service and Management, good service and a better management! I would recommend this hotel for Honeymooners or (similar) who are looking for seclusion, lovely food, a pool and a bar. A TIP for the owners, some low music in the garden would bring some atmosphere, a red rose or some flowers in the garden would bring some colour, and a treat at the turn down service would bring a smile to everyones face. To go from good to great little things are being missed in this Hotel.

Room Tip: Suite 4 is on the second floor overlooking the garden and the pool. It has a very big terrace.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mehtap-ak
Reviewed December 17, 2011

The moment you enter The Villa, you know you've entered a private space of a mad and quirky genius. There's a simple and understated elegance that translates into everything in The Villa.

Let me quickly jump into the pros and cons of The Villa:

1) After booking the hotel via agoda, we sent a mail requesting an early check-in (if you are flying in from Bombay, you're flight will land at 4 AM). We got a very rude response saying that the hotel staff will have to play it by the ear for an early check-in, in case it is not possible we should book for the previous night as well. Bad first impression.

2) Good thing is that anything and everything that was unpleasant about The Villa ended with that mail conversation. We ended up reaching the hotel at 8 AM (normal check-in time is 2 PM), we not only got the room but an upgrade free of charge.

3) There are fewer rooms. The hotel is clearly for the discerning traveler. The pool, architecture and the decor- everything is beautiful.

4) The food was really good and very well plated. Do note that if you want Sri Lankan breakfast, you'll have to put in a request the night before. But do try the hot/cold chocolate with fresh cream at the restaurant. It was insane!

5) I did read some reviews complaining about the railway track. In my opinion it really wasn't a nuisance.

6) There's no beach right outside The Villa. You either need to walk left towards Saman Villa or right towards Taj for the beach. There are some locals who'll try to strike up a conversation with you and tell you to buy cheap booze from their beach shack, if I were you I'd avoid that. The beach was good though, not crowded at all.

7) Mosquitoes were a problem though. You'll also spot an occasional lizard in the open bath- but that's the price you pay for a tropical trip.

8) The room resonated with the theme of The Villa but were far less 'tame' if you know what I mean. Decor wise, I think the room was a downer. But the bed was supremely comfortable. There's also an open bath in the ground floor room, for those who like it.

9) We rented a bike and drove to the nearby turtle hatchery. It was one of those touristy things to do and was a rather pleasant experience.

To sum up, The Villa has the potential to blow you away and you wouldn't even realize it how.

1  Thank Happyfeet_A
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Epic location, lovely building, beautifully decor, comfortable well decorated rooms. The food was good if a bit overpriced. My main issue with the hotel was the atmosphere, to be fair it was early season but a lot of the communal rooms while beautiful to look at were not welcoming to spend time in, they felt like a showroom/photo shoot for Paradise road furniture. I would have the bar more central to the hotel to give the beautiful rooms more purpose and focus the atmosphere. On several nights we went to the bar for pre drinks and not only was it empty of guests there was no barman. I am not sure people even knew there was a bar. The service was excellent if a little too excellent, I am sure some people want to be served on hand and foot but it makes me feel like an invalid/uncomfortable if I am already pouring a beer/wine I don't want someone to come and take it from me and continue pouring it just let me finish. I don't want to make it sound like this is a bad hotel it is not it is very good and in a stunning location it just needs that little something extra.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank d_parvin
Reviewed December 4, 2011

First of all: we would definitly recommend this place - especially to couples! The pool and the garden are wonderful, the place is so quiet and peaceful. We stayed here for 5 nights and really loved it!

Room: we got an upgrade to a Suite: very spacious, A/C and fan, comfortable bed, morning and evening room service, mosquito net, nice terrace, coffee/tea in room. Big bathroom with two washing sinks. TV has only 10 channels - maybe a DVD player in room would be a nice idea.

Restaurant: Great food! Try the homemade ginger beer and the Villa hot chocolate, a dream! The cocktails are also nice, but way to small also considering the price of over 900 Rs. Also you can eat where ever you like! The restaurant has nice background music as well.

Hotel: wonderful pool and garden, you get a lovely service, with pool towels and still water being served.The whole hotel is in the colours black and white, very nice design. They have several lounge areas where you can use the free Wifi (not working in the room). They don't have a library but you can get some books at reception. Also you can get a notebook at reception as they don't have an internet station. The connection is not so good though (coming and going...). The beach is only about 30 Meters away, crossing over the railways. Great! Only negative point at the end: it took them over 25 Minutes to do our check-out because the system was down (still they managed to check out a couple coming after us..).

Room Tip: Suite 2 is on the ground floor with a nice terrace and direct garden access. If you choose another s...
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Stayed here with my husband and then 5 month old daughter during a weekend getaway in September 2011. The staff are really friendly and helpful - they showed us available rooms so we could decide which one we'd like. We selected one with the plunge pool as we thought it'll be nice to use it with the baby was it was FREEZING; regardless, we wouldn't have used it much ourselves let alone put the baby in it as it looked a bit unclean. But the main pool on the lawn was really nice and warm. The interiors are tasteful in keeping with true Paradise Road style but we felt the rooms can be better maintained - ours had a bit of paint peeling off the walls .... not a big deal but just degrades it considerably.

The lounge area by the pool and the lawn is really nice and relaxing. It's a shame you have to walk out of the property and cross the railway track to get to the beach. As result the 'sea view' rooms on the ground floor doesn't really have a view of the sea! :)

They have a spa - but it's just one masseuse and it's pricey. Not that great.

Food was great. Panna cotta was excellent. All in all - it was a good break.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family