SEAES Hotel & Resort
$100
$309
$236
Agoda.com
All reviewsabalone porridgethe cottagesolle trailblack pork bbqking size bedsea viewshillaluxuryjejulottebus
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I booked 4 nights in HOTEL.com. When i got there I was totally disappointed. Room is very small, bathroom is badly maintained. There is no ventilation fan, no window in the small bathroom and when you pull up the window curtain which is next to the bathtub, somebody can see you taking a bath/shower!!!
I paid around $360 for one night to stay in this kind of room. Water is leaking out onto the floor when you take a shower. The wooden floor near the bathroom is obviously being soaked for a long time that means the humidity in this room is quite high. It is not healthy to sleep in this kind of humid room.

Room Tip: If you want to stay in a better room, you have to pay around $550/night at least.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AgnesLTY
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had asked my travel agent to recommend a traditional Jeju style accommodation and was recommended SEAES Hotel & Resort, which I stayed through my visit from 8 to 12 June 2013. I had the ocean suite and unlike what the name implies, you do not actually get a view of the ocean. From the balcony, I actually had a view of the garden. There is also a wooden tub outside for me to use but unfortunately, the weather didn't provide me an opportunity to try it and although it's within my villa, the rock walls are not very high and anyone passing through would be able to see anyone using the tub. But having said all that, everything else there was perfect. The areas is peacefully quiet and it was nice to come back to after each day to relax. There are not many guests as it's limited based on the number of rooms/villas that they have. The villas are close to one another so when you sit at the balcony, you can see your neighbours if they are out on the balcony too. The room is very comfortable and spacious, with a nice big bed and sitting area for me to watch telly. The wifi is FANTASTIC and I was happily on skype and on the internet a lot in the evenings.

Breakfast is included and there's a choice of three korean dishes (the last option was American breakfast). I was thrilled to have the korean dishes and for the first three days, tried each one and on my last day, picked my favourite which was the abalone porridge.

Yes the rooms can be a little pricey but it was perfect for me as I was travelling alone and wanted some quiet time. I would highly recommend this place. And for those who are familiar with kdramas, it was fun looking out for the sites where filming had taken place. And yes, Olle Trail 8 passes by SEAES and it's great to have morning walks after breakfast around the hotel. And I was fortunate that I came across some Hanyeo women divers while I was on one of my morning walks.

Thank you to the staff of SEAES Hotel for making my stay there a memorable one! I am looking forward to returning some day!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here two nights during our tour of Seogwipo. We were happy to find that the staff spoke English fairly well and with a little persistence we were able to communicate efficiently. We stayed in the Ocean suite with the impression we had an ocean view...not so. Apparently that's only for the Royal suite. For non-Koreans considering this hotel, understand that while this is a "romantic" hotel, it is frequented by couples with children. As such, it may not be as quiet and secluded as you would like. There were many nice elements of this hotel (look at their pictures) that we enjoyed, the pinnacle being the tub outside built out of volcanic rock. The only reservation we had about the tub was that it was not as private as advertised and could be easily viewed by those passing by. Most rooms are in a duplex layout so if your neighbors stay up late, you will too. The resort does a good job of making the property feel secluded, but room proximity and ambient noise reminds you're in a small city. The staff accomodated our requests for softer sleeping arrangements by providing us a "blanket" which was actually a mattress topper. The pillows were thin and included a buckwheat pillow that we found a bit strange and completely uncomfortable. The staff swapped the buckwheat pillows for thin pillows so we could stack them to make soft pillows. The included breakfast was one of four choices, but three of the four were Korean dishes. The American breakfast was a simple toast, eggs and one strip of bacon. Not much, but it was sufficient. We opted for a massage from the on-site massage service and was pleased with the service and price, $90 per person for 70 minutes. We were going to eat at the hotel restaurant but based on the basic breakfast we opted to drive to Gecko's for something more Western. Overall we had a nice stay here but it was definitely pricey at $500 a night.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I noticed most guests at SEAES Resort are mostly Koreans, and I can understand why. Unlike nearby Lotte, Shilla, SEAES is quieter and more traditional. Although it is one of the pricier hotels (the stay per night is close to Lotte or Shilla), it does not have the big hotel chain feel to it. By that I mean no large swimming pools crowded with screaming children. The place is very serene, very quiet.
The individual rooms were very nicely designed -- each looked on the outside like a traditional Jeju tatched hut. But the interior is modern. However, the interior design could be improved. For one thing, I feel that the furniture in the rooms kind of jar with each other. On one hand, you have a tasselled Victorianish looking lounge which contrasts with a modern bed post and an even more modern (think glass and metal) looking bathroom. Then added to this, the outdoor jacuzzi looks very Korean/Japanese and really out of place.
That aside, the room is spacious. But much of the space is taken up by the huge bed and huge settee.
Breakfast provided was good. We had abalone porridge and soup for the 2 days we ate there. There were 4 choices -- abalone porridge, abalone soup with rice, beef stew with rice and American breakfast. The breakfast set was enough for both of us. The restaurant do allow u to have free flow of salad and some simple bread/eggs at its side table.
A second peeve about the resort is probably that most facilities tend to be closed (or were closed when visited in the morning and late evening). The only souvenir shop doesn't seem to be opened. For spa services, you will have to pay separate (by that I mean you can't charge to the room). The spa service (I tried the massage for 70 mins) was good. It is done by a Korean middle-aged couple and massage was a mix of Japanese Shiatsu, Chinese tui na and Thai stretches. If you are into relaxing Swedish massages, don't try. I also booked the 90mins private baths (hot baths -- in and outdoor) with sauna. Not very fantastic if your group is small (there was only me and my husband). But I'd think it will be a lovely idea for relaxation if you are with a group of girlfriends.
Receptionists were very friendly, but sadly, only a few were competent in English (again reinforcing the idea that this Resort catered mainly to locals).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2013

For the price they are charging you can get stay at other 5 star hotels. Hotel room was small. Design flaw in the bathroom which cause water to flow to the floor if using shower in the bathtub. Signs of water seepage can be seen on the floor and wall in the room. Hotel may want to consider to do overhaul in some of the rooms to maintain it. Staff service is good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends