“Something different”

Jeju Mawon
Ranked #31 of 3,026 Restaurants in Seogwipo
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed January 29, 2017

This place serves black pork but we went for the horse dinner and what an experience. Beers flowed, and we were treated to horse meat in an unimaginable number of forms, from tartare, carpaccio, steak, stew, burger and sashimi. And of course kimchi. Many lettuce leaf sandwiches left and yet more beer.....a good night out. We didnt book though it was no more than half full (midweek) and were last to leave as the staff were eating their supper.....

Date of visit: October 2016

Reviewed August 14, 2016 via mobile

Like most people, I visited Mawon to try the exotic horse meat. As expected, the meat was very lean, but pleasantly was not tough. In fact, the meat was soft and tasteful, which made it perfect to be consumed raw. The grilled meat was also excellent, but the burger was rather disappointing. If you're like me and want to try every horse meat dish the restaurant has to offer, then go with the course meal. Highly recommended for adventurous foodies.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed July 12, 2016 via mobile

I was a little apprehensive about horse meat but I was really surprised to find myself enjoying almost all the dishes especially the raw dishes and the stewed horse. It feels like a tourist trap (which I think it is), but I would recommend this to anyone, it has certainly changed my view of horse meat and expanded my culinary tastes

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed June 7, 2016 via mobile

I wouldn't travel miles to get there, but we were staying at the Hyatt and didn't want to pay for the overpriced hotel restaurant. Jeju Mawon was within walking distance and provided a nice alternative.

The food wasn't as authentic as some of the hole in the wall places we went to in Korea. It clearly caters to tourists. But given that we were surrounded by vacation resorts, it was a good option.

The horse meat was excellent and the small bibimbop dishes were good too.

All in all, we spent 46,000 for the two of us, which was way less than we would have spent at the hotel, even if it was way more than the same food we had in hole in the wall restaurants.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed June 7, 2016

Fantastic food and service. A great experience with lovely food. Would go again. In easy walking distance from the Hyatt Jeju just down the road. Lovely surroundings.

Would go again.