“Excellent experience than just watch, stay is better.”
Review of Hyatt Regency Jeju

Hyatt Regency Jeju
Ranked #9 of 93 Hotels in Seogwipo
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have chosen here for my honeymoon. I was hesitating to stay there based on my experiences to visit Jeju because its a little far from Main Street and overview of the building seems too old. I had got a good deal through the Hyatt booking site, much better price than other tour agency, and just joined CATH membership that offers a discount for using restaurants.

Overall, inside the hotel looks great enough and unique interior. The standard room is huge and have a extra blanket, therefore, we could sleep on the bed and down either. But the mattress was too hard for me that I asked to front desk but got answered all room has a same condition.

The essential is the ocean part which is back side of the hotel. The most beautiful walk way of the Jeju is there. I had fully satisfy with it!
I have heard they just opened a new outdoor pool. Can't wait to swim there!
Absolutely will visit again every time when I visit Jeju.

Thanks for giving me a wonderful honeymoon.
BTW, I met my husband at Jeju^.~

From, Joanna

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The location of this hotel is really lovely, and a main selling point to us. It's set on the very edge of the ocean and the headland of the coast so from most of the hotel you get lovely views of the sea.

The hotel itself is somewhat dated and looks like it needs renovation and general modernisation in places. Whilst it's still a fairly luxurious design it does feel like you're stepping back in time in parts, especially the lobby/bar area, so 80s!!

The pool is great here but check whether it's open, when we stayed it was only open in the summer months, June/July/August. We visited in May and even though it was over 20degrees and some days up to almost 30 they were only just preparing it to be opened.

We've also stayed at the Shilla Jeju, which has a lovely outdoor pool that's open year round, it's heated and also has a fabulous jacuzzi area and sauna both outside too.

In comparison we found the drinks and food to be much better in the Hyatt than the Shilla though. The cocktails here are particularly good versus pretty terrible and more expensive in the Shilla.

Overall this is a nice hotel but, as with so many hotels in Jeju, it's just not up to world class standards. The service itself was not always consistent and we needed to speak Korean sometimes for the staff to understand us since their English wasn't great, not really what you expect in an international hotel chain. The resort needs some money pumping into it to be truly worth the price but if your staying in Jeju then here or the Shilla are your nicest options. I'd avoid Lotte unless you favour a tacky (poor vegas-immitation) style resort!

Room Tip: Ocean view room is the draw of this hotel! Get one.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Jeju was an extended piece of our family trip to Seoul. Wonderful contrast to the hustle and bustle of the larger city and gave the kids a chance to simply play.

Liked Hotel Surroundings
-View from room balcony spectacular (mountain and ocean)
- Grounds were lovely
- Proximity to beach terrific, though hotel is closer to non-swimming portion of beach. We weren't there to swim really just to play in the sand and surf. Lifeguards and police always checking on us to make sure we didn't venture out into the waves. Big waves and huge rocks. Fun for shell gathering and sandcastle construction.
-Could watch the Haenyeo (women) divers.
-Felt very private
-Lovely pool area (construction completed day we arrived) but pool was cold. Perhaps would heat up more by mid-summer.

Liked Hotel Interior
-Great lobby - kids loved the pond with fish and ducks.
-Great elevator - atrium style with "time machine" elevators were a thrill for kids every ride.
-NIce indoor pool - warmer water, kids played around for almost 1.5 hours each time.
-Room size was fine - king bed and roll-away. Just had to keep moving luggage around.
-Balcony was the perfect extension to the room.
-Main terrace restaurant was a nice surprise - originally we thought we might be limited with selection for kids and prices are on the higher side. But "evening" menu had quite a few options (food type and price) and a good kids menu. We had our own breakfast items in our room and lunch was always eaten off site.

Liked Museums
-Ripleys. We've been to Niagara Falls Ripley but it seems that boys are always game for a room full of odditites.

-Teddy Bear - Much to our surprise our 11 year old son asked if we could go - we thought our boys might be too "cool" for this one and it turned out to be quite fun.

Alive Museum - new to the area and not well promoted. I stumbled on it in my hours of online exploring. Lots of fun and great for unusual pictures to take home. Koreans seemed more interested in taking pictures of others (including our family) interacting with the art than of themselves.

Didn't Like
-long hike uphill to museums, shops and other restaurants. We're not opposed to walking, but long hikes uphill in the humidity were not our favourite way to start the day. Easily remedied with constant access to taxis at the front door - 3000 won to the top of the resort area. We always walked back to the hotel.

Suggestion
- Worth a bus ride across the island to Hallim Park and adjacent Hyeopjae Beach. We took a cab up to the bus stop and, to the cab driver's chagrin, took a city bus (50 minute ride to the north west side of the island. Hallim Park is a lovely. large botanical garden with neat caves to wander through (about 1.5 hours). We had lunch there - barbecue pork and other delectables. Then we walked across the street to the beach and spent the afternoon in the very warm shallow waters. If you are from Southern Ontario the difference is like shallow, warm Lake Huron (Hyeopjae Beach) to colder, rockier Georgian Bay (Jungmun Beach). The bus ride was cheap, the ride was interesting (country side and villages). A great day trip. Just know that the bus stop is just past the entrance to the park you have to walk back about 100 feet.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RKGKitchener
Reviewed July 18, 2013

i went there last year during summer vacay, and i stayed in a room for 7 days. i see some other reviews saying "not worth the price" or "a little old", but believe me it's so amusing. i've also seen lotte and shilla, which are huge and really grand, but hyatt regency is the best getaway ever. it's really, really calm and peaceful there, and the open design of the hotel is the best. the lobby is basically a lovely "mini forest" with paths leading to the lounge. there are literally tons of real fish swimming in the water surrounding the trees and the paths. the hotel is excellent.

the staff told me that the wifi was only in the lobby, but in the room it's crazy strong (yep, very very quick) and it's a lot stronger than the one in the lobby. the staff is always helpful,and they are very warm and welcoming. their gym and indoor swimming pool are relatively smaller than the ones in other nice big hotels, but they are all so peaceful. quite often, I can have an exclusive gym and swimming pool. and yes, the swimming pool is really small, but it's a very comfortable relaxing pool for me to swim in. the gym is a glass room overlooking the indoor pool, and at night it is such a relaxing enjoyment to be in the gym working out and looking at the environment around.

and the lifts are drop-dead gorgeous. they give a perfect view of the entire interior. the "forest", the lobby, the reception and the hotel floors. in case you don't know, the hotel floors are all open, that means when you leave your room and walk onto the corridors, there are only walls that cover up halfway, like a balcony. and the floors surround the lobby. forgive me being soilly, but it's kinda like a donut. it draws you closer to everything near it. the rooms are huge. the balcony is huge too. the rooms have nice color combos and the beds are nice. i have to stress on the washroom. it's really amazing i promise. full of glass furniture, elegant and clean. i got a bigger room because i was traveling with my parents and we added a bed.

and the food there ain't exactly the best. they have some mini buffets and i highly you save money by not going there. instead, check out shilla's buffet. it is amazing. it's the best i've eaten in ages. (plus they have wifi open there, super good!). but they do have decent breakfast and lunch though.

And as a conclusion, I'd say the hotel is mainly for those people who want to get away from business and noise, but for me (i consider myself as a cosmopolitain girl, i love huge places which are futuristic and fun and i love the city) I would love to get away for a few days and enjoy the peace here. and for those who would like to relax more, there's a little path and a huge seaside green for you to walk on. it's really cool in summer and the sound of the waves are really nice. the hotel is reachable by bus no. 600 from the airport, so no worries about the location :) and if you're perfectly fine with business and you want to feel like you're in shopping paradise/big city, this unfortunately may not be for you. it's a little old but very very comfy and clean.

Room Tip: go there by airport bus 600, don't take taxi. and do make sure when you ask the staff unless you...
Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank itsladypigeon
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I liked every thing about Hyatt Jeju! The location, the wonderful view , spacious room, very clean, very helpful staff, excellent service, the breakfast buffet, the dinner. EVERY THING was excellent.

I absolutely recommend this hotel, we enjoyed every minute there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2013

It's been around since the 80s, one of the earliest resorts in the Jungnam district in Jeju and the choice backdrop for many a familiar drama serial or movie. So the rooms are feeling their age a little. The room is clean but clearly dated.

Still, I love the space, the huge balcony, the drama clifftop views spreading over the Pacific and yes, the beds are still comfy enough. I obviously forgive a lot when I can fall asleep to the rhythmic sound of waves crashing on the rocks nearby.

I give the Hyatt Regency points also for bucking the toothbrush-less trends in hotels all over Korea. Unlike other top notch chain hotels in the country who do not provide toothbrushes - a basic travel amenity - I was grateful to note that the Hyatt does.

Having said that, the hotel does need to refurbish its rooms - and quickly too. It is way overdue for an overhaul in the looks department if it wants to maintain prime spot in the luxury resort arena on Jeju island. The grounds are immaculately kept and the hotel has recently overhauled its pool to enlarge it and to include swish details such as cabanas but truth be told, if you're paying this much for a stay at the Hyatt, travelers do expect more bang for their buck these days.

The breakfast buffet is also disappointingly thin for a resort of this scale and for a brand of this repute. I stayed two nights and had expected some variety in the spread on the second day but it was exactly the same, a repeat of day one. Understanding that this is a pricey resort where most people stay at least 2 to 3 nights, one would have expected a bigger range and better variety or at least some changes in the breakfast offerings daily. It shows a disappointing lack of effort to go that extra mile.

Location-wise, the hotel is perched on a cliff with immediate beach access. The island's stunning Ollegil walking paths also border the property, making it easy for guests to hike a bit before coming to breathtaking cliff views of the pounding Pacific surf on black lava rocks far below.

Overall, stunning location, pity about the tired rooms and the thin breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Location is great. On the edge of the coastline. Our room was tired and worn down, furniture looked a bit roughed up.

Hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful with most of them willing to bend over backwards to support me and my family.
For the money, I would say the Shilla or Lotte looked like better values in that they offer full resort amenities and overall better for kids.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Hyatt Regency J... S, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Jeju, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for taking your valuable time to extend your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We have well noted your comments pertaining to maintenance and please trust that some room maintenance programs have been implemented and renovation projects are scheduled to ensure that we can continue improving our product.

We would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our employee friendliness and the hotel location.

Looking forward to welcome you back at Hyatt Regency Jeju and please contact me personally should you require any assistance.

With warm regards

Julien Gonzalvez

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seogwipo
Lotte Hotel Jeju
Maison Glad Jeju
Maison Glad Jeju
#1 of 157 in Jeju
Ramada Plaza Jeju Hotel

Been to Hyatt Regency Jeju? Share your experiences!