“Bang for your buck”
Review of Gudeok Guesthouse

Gudeok Guesthouse
Ranked #11 of 316 Specialty Lodging in Seogwipo
Reviewed December 29, 2012

It's very seldom to see a private bedroom in a backpacker that comes with its own TV and fridge. ! Almost all reviewers here commented that the room here is tiny and I have to disagree. The room that I am in now, Room 202 is FAR larger than the private room that I had at Backpackers in Jeju, which was given a maximum 5 stars in Tripadvisor. Not only can Wi-fi be accessed from the room, it also has a hardwire too! There's also an underfloor heating which is more pleasant that the radiator heater that's been provided at my previous accommodation. Yes, it's true that this backpacker needs TLC done to it but for the amount that I paid for the room (10 times cheaper than Little France a stone throw away), I ought to be thankful. Jeju Hiking Inn is also walking distance away from a few attractions such as the waterfalls, Saesongyeong (the longest pedestrian bridge in South Korea). It's also very handy to prominent eateries such as Saesom Galbi (for his black pork BBQ) & to Limousine Bus (connecting to the airport) & to meeting points for YEHA tours. I was checked in by the kindly grandmother & despite limited English, we got along just fine. Being winter, I don't have the misfortune of being mobbed by mosquitoes (which I'm sure is a valid point as the mosquito nets are truly filled with holes). As for me, I'm quite happy with this place & commendable stay. It may not be hip but a good sound sleep is what that matters to me.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hostel is run down and not well kept. The kitchen was constantly dirty, even after just being cleaned by staff. The room was TINY, and in need of redecoration. It was full of mosquitoes because the mosquito net was full of holes. The manager was good. He spoke great English and was very helpful. But, it's not worth the money. If you can avoid this place, I would.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The island is wonderful, fascinating, & very very very clean air. A lot of activities, sight seeings, and outings. Many bars, and shops open late in the night. I've been there during the winter & one of things you may want to try is climbing Mountain Hala. A lot of fantastic seafood, no other meat than Pork, so if you don't eat Pork like me you'll have no other option except the Rice balls & fish.

The Guy at the Hotel speaks English well, which is very rare to find in South Korea, and specially in Jeju.

I enjoyed a lot the free oranges offered at the reception. enjoyed the min-kitchen at the Hotel, although i didn't use, but visited it once, and was nice & clean.

Overall, the people there at the Hotel & in Korea in general are very helpful, you may have the perception that the people are not very friendly, but that's just a perception as they rarely smile & wrong stereotyping.

to make a long story short, this is a very great choice for business, couples visiting Jeju for sights seeing, relaxing, having fun with respect to the money you pay. so best value for reasonable money.

Room Tip: During my stay all the rooms seems V.good, as the South Koreans are not loudly by nature. The rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2012

It was second treep to South Korea.Stayed from 20 july 2012 to 24 july 2012. Rooms are tiny and pretty old. No refrigerator in room. Air conditioner is VERY old with TERRIBLE noise (were forced to shut down for the night (and sleep in staffy) because we could not sleep with this noise). All would be nothing,but the owner of this hotel is NOT honest. He was kind enough with as,until he found out that we're leaving at 5 days earlier than our reservation (the whole family was a strong sunburn). After that his kindness has evaporated. He promised to return the money for 3 days, but finally returned just 100,000 won, even though we paid 40,500 won room cost per day (121,500 won per 3 days). Not recommend this hostel, there many other places there. Look at Little France hotel, it just at 100 meters walk.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I booked this inn and paid for the down payment. At first, i got a good impression from the owner that give me discount for extra person. He told us that we can make international call for free. But at the night, when we can't make the call and asked the owner,, he get upset on us! Really scary person,,what kind of owner that will get mad on his customer!
The inn was very old, lousy.. but since i booked the ondol type room, it was okay. I can't imagine what other room look like..
the only good aspect from this inn was the location. So if you want to stay in Seogwipo with a good price, you can stay on this guesthouse. But just spend your whole day outside, then go back for sleep only!

Room Tip: Just choose ondol room type
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank siska_sheila
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I didt even get to stay in Jeju Hiking Inn. The staff, who can speak English, told us my stay was cancelled and there was no room that night. There must be some confusion when i changed my room from double to twin bed using hostel world website but the owner said that someone called him to cancelled it.. He also mentioned that he don't want customers who stay only one night, which refer to me. My guess is he is either lazy to change the bedsheets or another group which is staying for several days book a room.Then he just bring me to another old motel nearby. I want my 10% deposit and admin charges back from hostel world...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank linoo
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Lousy guesthouse & lousy owner. His not very friendly at all to us. When I asked him if he can increase the temperature of the room because we were cold, he asked why since now is April & May is coming. I told him I am Malaysian and I am not use to cold weather. He simply said other Malaysian has no problem with the room temperature. I told him straight away, I don't drink liquor to heat up my body temperature. So pls increase the room temperature for us.

He mixed up our booking. When we checked in he gave us 02 rooms. I told him that I made and amendment to 01 tpl sharing room. He said no, you booked 02 rooms. We discussed about this for a while and finally I gave in. Took 02 rooms. Several hours later, he come to us and said he make a mistake and asked us to surrender the other extra room next day. Before this during our conversation via email, he mixed up our booking too and I have to correct him several times. Up to the time we chk in, mistake still happen.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Junelistiani
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seogwipo
SlowCiti Guesthouse
#2 of 94 in Seogwipo
Hyatt Regency Jeju
Hyatt Regency Jeju
#9 of 94 in Seogwipo

Been to Gudeok Guesthouse? Share your experiences!