“Back to the Basics”
Review of Sun Beach Hotel

Sun Beach Hotel
Ranked #63 of 94 Hotels in Seogwipo
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I recently stayed at the Sun Beach Hotel with my fiance in May during the long weekend. I read reviews about the hotel ahead of time so I didn't expect much except a great location.

To start off on a positive note, the hotel is in an excellent location and that would be the only thing ever to bring me back (if all other hotels in the area were sold out). It is a 10 minute walk to the local bus terminal. About a 10 minute walk to Cheonjiyeon and Jeonbang waterfalls. The limo bus 600 stop is basically in front of the hotel. Next hotel over you can catch the bus so a minute walk.

But, the hotel is in horrible, horrible condition. I am unsure what previous guests have done in the rooms and why staff haven't cleaned it up properly. The bathroom was dingy and I felt like I was going to fall through the bath tub. The furniture was broken and very old looking with pieces missing or shattered off.

What bothered me the most was the fan above our bed. It was caked with dust and probably mold too. We didn't want to even turn the fan on at all. It was absolutely gross.I have stayed at cheap motels before and never have I experienced a room like that. Also the bed sheets were clean but stained.

The motel and the rooms are in bad condition and it's unfortunate because the motel is in a beautiful location. Hopefully in the future they can spruce the place up to more decent and acceptable standards.

Oh, and the doors.... well didn't lock properly really. You had to force it shut and then had a chain lock and a bolt. Didn't always feel the safest. Not sure why the doors are in such horrible condition too.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher grade room..
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 10, 2011

The hotel is on a cliff above Cheonjiyeon Falls but you cant see it for all the trees. If you go down the harbour below the tourist info office is there and the falls. There is also a footbridge to take you to a large rock island. If you follow the road south from the hotel it will curve and lead you to Jeongbang Falls about 15 mins away next to a Chinese Exhibition Hall.

The airport limousine stops outside the hotel. About a 10 min walk is the local bus station from where you can get to all parts of jeju island.

Best sea view is 6th floor room 22 or any of the 20s, but there is often mist over the harbour so you might not always have the view. If you book on agoda they dont send your special requests so email the hotel again and ask for a seaview.

I stayed here for two nites and would recommend and stay again. As far as the negative comments go, if they leave your door open when they clean you have to realize koreans are very honest and it wouldnt occur to them to go in someones room and take stuff.

Also the guy at the front desk didnt speak much english but the manager Mr Im Dae-Soon was always around and spoke good english. Its not as dated and worn out as people are making it out to be. You'll get three english movie channels but no CNN. Free internet in the lobby but the browsers were set to asian options

I really enjoyed my stay and its a good base to explore seogwipo, jungmun, and the southern coast. I might suggest renting a car next time instead of local buses

Room Tip: after booking email the hotel and ask for seaview
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Located opposite the aiport limosuine bus stop with a pleasant view over the harbour below. Make sure you ask for a seaview and on the top floor with bay windows. Try to negociate the price. Rooms and fittings are in desperate need of decent repairs and updating. Water fountain only available on ground floor. Resturant only open in very restricted hours.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2010

The only reason I picked this hotel was location. It has a superb location - the airport limousine bus stops right in front of it. It's a 10 minute walk from the Jeongbang waterfall and a few other touristy areas. And it was cheap. I've stayed in cheap, dingy hotels before, but I've never regretted it as much as in this case.

The hotel seems to have been built for the 2002 World Cup event and then subsequently is living off its location. It's very run down, there was dirt everywhere. The receptionists didn't even seem to be interested in our existence. Often, the hotel will host tour groups staying overnight (like school trips, etc) - in our case, there was a tour group staying for 2 nights; their leader was given a microphone to make announcements to the kids/teachers. The announcements could be heard very clearly across all rooms because each room has speakers in it! So as a result, we were unable to read, sleep or rest at all until 1 AM each night and we were woken up at 4 or 5 AM each day because of the annoying speaker system being used for announcements, alarms, etc. (it was very loud).

But that's not the worst bit.

Twice, TWICE, we came back after a day out and our hotel room had been left OPEN. When I asked the hotel staff/reception about it, all I got was a blank look. That's the language barrier mixed with apathy, the language barrier serving as a convenient excuse to not respond of course.

So to summarize: insecure and dirty. You can very easily find another hotel nearby, there are a lot.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank iamapizza
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Overall, this is a nice hotel. Our room was very clean, and the staff was very helpful. Even though the language barrier was difficult, they were still willing to try to help us. The internet was working. There is a restaurant, where we had a decent breakfast. The location is great- right next to the Seogwipo harbor and to Cheonjiyeon Falls. We had a view overlooking the harbor- absolutely beautiful!

Although there aren't a lot of frills, this hotel is a good hotel for your money.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank K0reantraveler
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I travelled with a tour company during my visit to Jeju Island, and my mom and I were housed at Sun Beach Hotel. We were told at the desk that we had been placed in a room that was so impressive it would blow our minds. That wasn't exactly the case, but from what we learned from other travelers in our group, Sun Beach seemed par for the course.

Our room was a large suite on the top floor of the hotel, and it had a partially obstructed view of the harbor (but the view was nice nonetheless). It was so packed with random pieces of furniture, I was left feeling that it was a room that was mainly used to store unused furniture. The bedding was clean, but the room itself smelled musty and didn't appear to have been attended to with any care. The courtesy hotpot was still filled with water from a previous guest, and the bedside lampshade as well as an area of the bathroom wall had old blood stain smeared on it. Because of the dim lighting, ancient look of the room and the blood stains, I was kind of creeped out during my stay.

The pros: convenient location (easy walk to waterfall and harborside sashimi restaurants), gift shop in lobby, on-site restaurant with Korean breakfast buffet, free internet access at computers located in hotel lobby, friendly service, free filtered water in lobby. Across the street from park. Excellent views from hotel (since it's situated at top of hill). TV in room.

The cons: bring your own shampoo as the hotel provides none for you (or buy single use packets at hotel shop), poorly maintained and very bare-boned hotel, questionable cleanliness, weak water pressure. The weather was chilly outside, and our room didn't seem to get warm.

As far as recommending, there doesn't seem to be much else to choose from. My understanding is that the price is cheap. If you are looking for a place to shower and sleep and nothing much else, this is perfect.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank JKnSF
Reviewed August 6, 2008

The Sun Beach Hotel is situated with a view of the Seogwipo (pronounced Sog-eepo) harbour and a 10 minute walk from both the bus terminal and the lovely Cheonjiyeon Pokpo waterfalls. It has clearly had it's heyday, but is all the more charming because of it. The staff are very friendly, helpful and the majority speak good English. Our room was a good size with a double, a single, a desk with TV, and a standard sized bathroom with bath-shower. We had a great sea view (room 1305 if you're interested but most on the front side should have good views, especially those with balconies) and the air con was great which was vital on the tropical island.

The amenities mentioned on other websites are a little stretched, we could see no sign of a noreabang (karaoke room) and the games room was now a store room. We tried to use the bar downstairs but we were ushered out politely by the bar staff, who gave us reasons which we unfortunately couldn't understand.

The buses from Seogwipo go everywhere on the island, so travel from here is cheap and easy, and the airport limousine (no. 600) conveniently stops right outside the door.

Our stay was very comfortable, the breakfast was standard korean fare (rice, kimchi, eggs, toast, ham, coffee, Jeju juice etc) and the staff were outstanding.

Cost: A double with breakfast; 60,000 won (about $60)

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)