“Memorable stay in Gyeongju”
Review of Polaris Pension

and 1 more site!
Polaris Pension
Ranked #2 of 99 Gyeongju B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Memorable stay in Gyeongju”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Gyeongju is a beautiful city with rich history. I am very happy with my decision to book Polaris Pension. We do not have much time to cover alot of places as we planned to stay only for 1 day 1 night. Therefore for convenience we had paid for one day renting of pension van with owner driving us (Note: renting depends on availability of the owner & van for that day ~ happened that no guests hiring him as a driver for the day). Owner knows that we want to cover as much as places as possible therefore planned itinerary for us. We find it worth the money & time (depends on individual budget, travelling preferences) as do not missed out any places we want to go or waste time looking for it. Owner even guided us up the Mountain hiking trail. I am grateful to his warm & thoughful acts as it is not within his responsibilities to be a hiking guide. It must be stressful for him as I am the only one who have hiking experience. He have to take care of the rest 5 members. Ensuring no one is left behind or lost or in danger.

The Pension have comfortable, clean big beds & homely feel, close to nature. All of the maintenence are carried by the owner himself. To manage the pension himself, preparing breakfast & handle guests requests are really not easy tasks. Thumbs up!

With his not bad command of English. He is able to chat & mingle with my friends (whom most of them do not know Korean Language). Thanks to the owner, all my friends felt very comfortable & happy staying there. Left Gyeongju with beautiful memories. We will be back soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ningluvea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This was my second visit to Korea. I had fallen in love with this country since my first visit ^^
This time beside Seoul, I had the chance to explore Gyeongju! It was really an awesome place to visit. Another thing which made this trip perfect during our stay in Gyeongju was the Polaris Pension. It was so nice and comfortable to stay in, I felt like living in a wonderland! Everything was so well arranged. We received a warmth welcome from the pension owner, Mr Matthew Noh himself. He was such a friendly and helpful person. He lead us to climb Mount Namsan and other places too. I would highly recommend this place to all. It really made my stay in Korea the most memorable.
Missed you Polaris Pension, missed you Gyeongju! See you next time! ^^v

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank RoseLSG
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Great place, and our host was extremely kind and easy to work with. We also had a lovely view of the mountains and it was warm and cozy. There is also a superb restaurant just steps away from the pension. Bus station is close so sight seeing is easy. A convenience store and cafe is just nearby as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank A K
Chino Hills, California
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My family stayed there for 3 days in June 2013. The room was very clean with excellent service.
Good location to go around famous places, even with a bus. The owner was kind enough to take me to a big super market that took 10 minutes by drive. My two girls say the room was homey and cozy. Another good thing is there was very good restaurant near the pension which the owner recomended. My family enjoyed staying at Polaris Pension very much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank kelvinjwl
Arnhem, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Location of the pension was not that convenient as we thought it would be. We stayed 2 days in Gyeong-ju city and moved to this area with a lot of trouble (typhoon rain, bus ride with non english speaking driver, not to mention the steep hill you have to walk on to the pension with luggage, passing tunnels etc), to visit Bulgukska temple and Seokgram grutto because it would be just a drop away.

We endend up walking to the temple and grutto 3 times up and down the route from Polaris. (if you missed the bus and want to keep moving you have to walk, did not expect that because the owner is advertising that everything is so easy at Polaris)

Reality is that the guesthouse is located near a autoway and that your have to walk beside this to get to busstop to get to attractions, when you want to national park mount Namsam it turns out that you have to get back on a bus ( 50 min ) to get to Gyeongju station and then get a bus to (30 min) to the park. But that is where we came from! so we should have stayed in Gyeongju city and do excursions from there. Its better because Geyongju city is so much nicer than the area around pension Polaris.

For the guesthouse itself, you like it when you like Disneyworld, its all a bit superficial and feels like a cardboard house. Slept very well and everything worked fine. Missed fresh coffee at breakfast. Could have appreciated cleaning of the room and fresh dry towels especially when your have a rainy day and things are not really getting dry. Looking over at the balcony having breakfast is great way to start the day. The garden looks a little bit run down and sight of an empty swimming pool is not nice at all.
The owner comes across very friendly and helpful at first but when it comes to really helpful things its all with restrictions. Like changing our tickets for ktx train we had to get in the bus again to get to Gyeongju city ( while the evening before saying we could have a ride in his car to station ) Although he made a reservation for dinner nearby promptly at arrival that same evening it al comes across a bit demanding. Offering laundry service is great, but ending up with wet laundry hanging drying in your bedroom is the consequence..... and that is the strange thing here, its all not comfortably as the owner is presenting it. You keep getting on the wrong track. I really enjoyed bulguksa temple and seokgram grutto but would never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank August P
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Booking was quick and easy. Matthew had offered to pick us up from the bus stop...however, we ended up getting off at the wrong stop. Luckily had a cell, called him up, and Matthew came immediately to pick us up. After we got to Polaris, he was really helpful in helping us plan our short 2 days in Gyeongju. He had maps, listed all our transportation options to get back, and then dropped us off at Bulguksa after we got lunch.

After seeing the temple, we had been explained how to take the bus to the grotto. I then stupidly convinced my friends to instead do the ridiculous hike up the grotto, thinking it would be a fun experience, We then got separated. Some of us made it to the grotto..some of us didn't. After searching for them for a good while...it was pitch black outside and we could not find a bus anywhere. Finally found a taxi to take us back to the pension only to find our other friends were still not back! We had went to ask Matthew if he had seen them, which he had not. He then spent the next hour driving us around the area trying to help us find our friends. Eventually, we got the call from his wife that they had arrived home. We felt super bad to trouble him so late at night, but he then drove us to the supermarket to buy groceries and then even helped us order some food for dinner.

We also had booked train tickets to get us to Busan, but when he found out he told us there was a much easier train route. On our last day, he drove us to the station and then helped us change out tickets. It was SO MUCH easier than our original plan.

As for the place itself, we stayed in the duplex house which was more than enough space for 4 people. Full kitchen, standard bathroom/shower, two beds (but in the winter, I preferred sleeping on the heated floor so some people got their own beds). Matthew personally washed our laundry for us and also brought us breakfast every morning. A very simple breakfast, but got the job done. The property itself is compact and I would say...cute? For the price we paid, it was MORE than enough.

While the place is colorful and fun, what really took the stay above and beyond was the service. Now, I will say that when we were there, we were pretty much the only ones there, so we may have gotten more attention than usual. But, I felt Matthew was happy to do as much as he could to make our experience of Gyeongju the best it could be.

P.S. Had the chance to interact with some of the locals around the pension as well...they were all super accommodating. Have to bus it out to the attractions, but it was a great area to stay, felt very homey.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I loved staying at Polaris. It was beautiful, clean, and peaceful. Not to mention Matthew Noh is so friendly and welcoming! If you need any help finding things to do in Gyeongju, he will help you out!

Also, I realized I left my cosmetic bag in the room after I returned home. He promptly mailed it back to me.

It was a great stay! I recommend this place!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends