“not for the handicapped”
Review of Seokguram

Seokguram
Book In Advance
$159.99*
Gyeongju UNESCO World Heritage Sites and History Full-Day Tour with Lunch
$120.00*
and up
Private Korean Cultural Heritage Tour Including Seokguram Grotto, Bulguksa...
$160.00*
and up
Gyeongju Day Trip from Busan Including Seokguram Grotto, Bulguksa Temple and...
Ranked #7 of 65 things to do in Gyeongju
More attraction details
Owner description: The eighth-century cave temple with a statue of Buddha looking at the sea.
Reviewed October 13, 2013

While my son and his wife loved the grotto, I couldn't do the steps. They took lovely pictures for me. After a 25 minute walk down a shaded mountain road I was really disappointed--even more so with the tour driver for not warning me. I no sooner got to the grotto area when I had to start back up because we only had an hour.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We waited for a bus as it was too hot to climb up the mountain path. It is a tranquil spot but filled with tourists - most of them Korean on the day we were there (a National holiday) - so you cannot linger too long at the shrine. Be sure to give a donation for the chance to ring the huge bell (using a log on chains).

1  Thank Ann Maureen O
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Date of Visit: 2013-09-23
We walked up the hill to visit the Buddha. Respecting the request not to photograph, all I can say that it is well worth the walk.
The view over the valley below is very nice, as it was a clear day.

1  Thank ChrisGWarp
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We choose to walk up hill looking for a meditation walk to the 1500 years old Buddha, well conserve for the time. Well! they keep him behind a protected window, they said to allowed people to see Him.
But for the photographers, forget it, not allowed...Disappointment do.
The climb is a 2.2km to the parking ( where bus number 12 can bring you from the main street in front of the tourist office) plus a 1.6km to the Grotto. Sadly we choose the wrong hour (mid-morning) for our meditation walk. More than 1000 noisy students were going up and down to.
The last 1.6km will cost you 4000 won and if you want to "dong" the bell, another 1000 won. Compare to the beautiful Buddha and surrounding on Jeju Island (1000 won) it is to much
So, for all those reasons we give an "average" note

1  Thank Road20years
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Loved this site even though it poured with rain and we got absolutely soaked to the skin. The grotto is very special and atmospheric. Its a bit of a walk up to it but the views must be spectacular on a clear day (we only saw cloud) This was my favorite site in Gyeongju despite the weather.

1  Thank wheretogonext44