“So pretty a place”

Bellus Rose Pension
Ranked #4 of 107 Gyeongju B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I knew I was going to enjoy the stay the moment I saw the place. Altho' the weather wasn't helping with rain and freezing temperature, it was all comfort & warmth the moment we stepped inside the door. Mrs Park welcomed us & showed us to our room on the 1st floor immediately. Room was spacious with functional kitchen (stove, kettle, pots/pans, crockery, cutlery, dishwashing liquid, etc) & medium-size fridge. Kitchen counter extended to dining table plus 2 high chairs (like bar stools). A balcony for morning breakfast, afternoon tea or bbq. However, all that was dashed due to the rain and cold. Flat-screen TV with big enough screen. Bathroom a tad small (no hooks to hang clothes), plenty of little towels in the wallmounted cabinet, water pressure a bit weak but came into effect after some patient coaxing.
Mrs Park proceeded to brief us on transportation details (bus numbers & timetables to/fro downtown). As it's about a 10min walk to the main road, husband & wife provide a dropoff/pickup service to/fro the main road. Just a call away. Restaurants (this octopus place is a must-go - excellent sundubu stew - I don't know the name, see the attached pic) - traffic wardens guide the heavy traffic flowing into this small place. Make sure you get the KRW1000 discount voucher from the hotel. 8k stew less 1k is worth every won. Even the banchan is sufficient as a meal on its own. Plenty of dining places along the road walking into the Pension area. Altho' we didn't take Bellus's breakfast (KRW10k per guest), Mrs Park served us freshly brewed coffee right to our room.
We took full advantage of the complimentary bicycles for guests. Had an unfortunate spill cycling around Bomun Lake (caused by cherry blossom petals on the wet paths) - Mrs Park was ready with her 1st aid kit. Beautiful place run by a beautiful couple.
I gave Location an average 'cos it wasn't exactly easily accessible. Closest is a bus stop requiring a 10-15min walk. Ok with empty hands, not with luggage or bad weather.

Room Tip: There aren't many rooms - perhaps 5 or 6 max. One with a balcony would be excellent for alfresco...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Gr00vyTraveller
There are newer reviews for Bellus Rose Pension

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Our favorite part of our stay in Gyeongju was our accomodation. The owners go above and beyond expectations to make you feel at home. They are so nice that it's almost like family. The local restaurants are very good and getting to Bulguksa and Seokguram is very easy by bus. Breakfast was great and good value too!

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Pat_271828
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We booked Bellus Rose Pension in March/April 2013 for our accommodation in Gyeongju after reading numerous positive and glowing online reviews. And true enough we had a most wonderful and memorable 1-week stay.

Bellus Rose is homely and comfortable. The room is spacious, bright, colourful, clean and cosy. In particular, we liked the kitchenette. It enabled us to whip up simple home-cooked meals – when we felt like we had an overdose of kimchi. The equipment is not brand new but they are functional and adequate for simple cooking.

What makes Bellus Rose truly special is Mr and Mrs Park – a husband and wife team who owns and runs the place. They are really warm, kind and big-hearted folks. Such a remarkable couple.

Mrs Park speaks simple English. We – not a word of Korean. Aided by a “Speak Korean apps” loaded into our smart phone – we gestured often, laughed a lot and had heaps of fun. Despite this immense language barrier, not only did we manage to communicate – we forged a friendship.
Always cheerful and helpful, Mr and Mrs Park let us tag along when they made a trip to the city supermarket. They let us have free use of the bicycle, anytime of the day. They gave us good advice on our travel itinerary. They drove us all the way to Anapji Pond.

And on one exceptionally bright sunny afternoon, Mr Park and I even went jogging together – our own version of the cherry blossom marathon.

A few has commented (in past reviews) that Bellus Rose is not a hotel. Yes, it is not. There is no grand entrance, huge lobby and posh furnishings and fittings. Bellus Rose is a “bed and breakfast” place (if you opt for the breakfast package) or self-catering accommodation. But in our opinion, the service level at Bellus Rose surpasses that of a deluxe hotel. Their warmth, hospitality and care come genuinely from the heart – and to us - that matters most of all.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Richard C
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I just stayed here for 3 nights, Highly recommended. I try not to repeat what others have said. If you don't mind the 15 minutes' brisk walk from bus stop (7Eleven and restaurants) to the premise, this is the place for you. Spacious room, everything is neat and tidy. I like the kitchenette. Very quiet under normal circumstances. For 2 nights out of 3, a group of noisy young people had a party next door and they were shouting and laughing past midnight--very inconsiderate! At home, I would have reported to the police! Luckily, I always bring ear plugs with me when I travel and they worked magic for me.

Mrs Park and Mr Park are a very nice couple. Mr Park does not speak English but Mrs Park speaks adequate English. Mrs Park gave very clear and accurate directions to major sights, just ask and clarify if in doubt. She was very helpful. All my requests were attended to.

Tip for taking buses to the Pension, either 1) show the driver the Korean address of the pension (esp. important for Bus 700, I didn't see any bell there. I suppose the driver expects you to shout if you want to get off!) 2) There seems to be a big greenhouse under construction not too far from the bus stop. Whichever direction you are from, it is the time to get off when you see the greenhouse structure, ie., a huge glass structure in white lighting even in the evening.

I highly recommend this pension for the home-like experience. Why pay 4 times more for a Hilton room?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Roundfaced
Reviewed March 7, 2013

In Aug 2012 my husband, son, and I had the good fortune to stay at Bellus Rose Pension. Before we arrived the gracious hostess, Mrs. Park,answered all email enquiries immediately and completely. After we arrived the hospitality and attention continued. Mrs.Park gave us suggestions of activities, called taxis, and then asked for our opinions to confirm that her advice had been correct. The included breakfast was outstanding, including coffee, fresh juice, fruit, yogurt, eggs, and toast. Perhaps the greatest treat was dining "at home" by the pools edge enjoying delicious and authentic Korean cuisine prepared by Mrs. Park. The lovely dinner was hibachi grilled pork, mushrooms and onions, served with lettuce and sesame leaves and accompanied by rice with red beans and dozens of homemade types of kimchi. Believe me, if you think kimchi is merely pickled cabbage try Mrs. Park's! You will become a lover of kimchi!

The rooms were comfortable and the air conditioning was very effective. The baths were also comfortable. The place was spotless!

One other thing we particularly enjoyed was that many of the other guests were Korean extended families. It was fun talking to them and we felt our stay afforded us a chance for a more authentic glimpse into Korean lifestyle and family. Although there were children there, we didn't hear a peep out of them except in the afternoons when they were playing in the pool. Then their happy voices and laughter added to the sense of well being.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank travelerAlamo_CA
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I suudenly feel like to visit kyeongJu so I booked train ticket and went to Kyeogju. I made a call to the hostess she kindly answer the phone and pick me up from the bus stop. Everything was good until that time.
when I try to make a payment she didnt accept credit card, but i havent had enough cash so she accept to use remaining costs. she took my card for 15 mins and come back said the machine is not working. so I had to promise her to give rest of the money tmw.
I checked in at 9PM and the room was not warm enough. I asked her to make it warmer and she said she turned on the gas system (korean type) so i waited till 10:30 but it was still cold. I worried if it wont get warmer I csnnot get a good sleep. . .because i had long walking today and felt very tired especially today was quite cold outside. The room doesnt get any warmer till now (its 2AM almost in Korea. So i boiled some water and put it in a bottle and holding it now. . . .sigh

I wouldnt recommend for staying here for winter. itworth as its price. . .

• Stayed: February 2013
bellusrose, 매니저 at Bellus Rose Pension, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Sorry for any inconvenience. The card machine(process) was not working at that time because of internet trouble. Sorry fot that. The payment was made finally next day with extra discount by credit card. Most of visitors who visit our pension are paying credit card without trouble. Please do not worry about that.
She suddenly booked and appeared with unclear message for the reservation. Therefore, we did not warm room timely until her appearance. But, we gave electrical stove and bedclothes additionally. The room soon got warm.
She seems to have something different object to visit our pension hotel because she disappeared suddenly next day without tour or relax.
We hope to visit pension hotel with prior reservation and clear check-in time

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We have 5 persons and booked 1 room for Standard Double + 1 room for Korean style family foom.

Since we took train to Gyeongju Train Station and arrived in the afteroon. We asked Mrs. Park (the pension owner) to wait for us at station. Mrs. Park can speak English and she is a nice person. Initially, we asked Mrs. Park to drive us to her pension for settle down before starting our sightseeing. She suggested us to have sightseeing nearby the train station first coz the following places are nearby the train station :

Cheonmachong Tomb, Cheomseongdae Observatory, Daerungwon, Anapji Pond, National Museum

Mrs. Park took our luggages to her pension.

After travel, we took bus nearby National Museum to Bomun Lake area and asked the bus driver to notify us when the bus-stop is reached. It is difficult to say any special identification at the bus-stop we got off. There is some restaurants and 7-11 shop located in the opposite of the bus stop. Then, we crossed the road and started to walk from 7-11 to pension. Torch or lighting from mobile phone is very important coz the walkway is very dark and silent. It needs 20 mins walk to pension. Anyway, Mrs. Park was willing to drive us from 7-11 to pension if need.

The rooms are spacious no matter is double room or family room. The floor is ondol. You can cook meal at room coz of kitchen-ware is provided. But a bit disappointed that the room decoration is so-so, not same as the photos I saw from hotel webs.

The rooms are clean but an unpleasant smell from quilt.

If you don't wanna eat at the pension (need to pay), you can go to 7-11 and there are some restaurants for Korean food.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends