“It is Chosun's traditional village” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 61 things to do in Gyeongju
South Korea
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“It is Chosun's traditional village”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

This village is little far from Gyeongju downtown. I drove my car about 3-~40 minutes from Gyeongju downtown. There are some bus. Pohang is also very near from this village so It is better to visit this place when you go to pohang.

Actully I imagine some ancient silla's history(because every historic place in gyeongju is from silla...) but it is wrong. This place is Chosun's village and family village which 'Son family' from Walsung and 'Lee family' from Yugang live. Both of family are yangban, nobleman. I can feel that yangban's atmosphere in this village with several blue roof tile house.

There are museum in front of entrance. In musuem, diorama of house show the architecture of that traditional house. It is very important place because in village, it is not easy to enter the house. Most of house has owner. That is private place. There are real villagers in traditional house.

It is just village. So I recommend just enjoy the atmosphere. If you are interested in Korea's traditional house, you can enjoy more better time. There are several recommended course. Each course take 1~2hr. Although I'm Korean, It is not easy to see the real historic traditional village that people living. maybe here.. and Andong city..?

and other things.. Several lutus pond is very good place to see. There are some Korean restaurant also. I'm sorry that there is no traditional cafe yet. I mean some place with teaism. Some cafe serving the coffee, green tea, plum tea.. etc(several tea korean usually drink) in plastic cup and straw.

I recommend if you feel the Korea's traditional atmosphere. It is the best place to feel that. It is the real one. not just in traditional center or museum.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Useha

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Like the shire in Lord of the Rings.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was a great find. We thoroughly enjoyed walking around the village looking at the gardens and homes and felt that were in a scene from Lord of the Rings. Would recommend Yangdong over HaHoe.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Ksmittyc
Rochester, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“a bit hard to get to”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

We found getting to Yangdong by bus from Gyeongju a little complicated because of the general infrequency of buses to the village. We definitely checked with the visitor's center about when return buses arrived, so we weren't stranded! The village itself is very serene. In good weather, it was very nice to stroll through the fairly large area. You will really feel transported back in time if you ignore the cars and other modern appliances. Someone from the visitor's center gave us a brief explanation of the village's history that was quite interesting. The map we received was difficult to follow, but if you follow the signs throughout the village instead, you should be able to make your way to the different important buildings. This was a very peaceful trip (besides catching the bus) and, on the whole, a unique experience.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank kzmzm
Daegu, South Korea
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Old rural village.
English translator interpreted as do not know of all the questions in English not answer I'm gonna. I'm sorry.

Visited August 2012
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Wonderful place for a heritage visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Quite a fair bit of walking as you seek out the historical houses or sites shown in the map. However as the villages are still staying there, some places are out of bounds. Happened to me on one important site and is rather disappointing. The place is popular with young school children doing field trips and I've seen at least 2 or 3 groups there. I do wonder how will the village cope when more people seek out this place and start trampling into their houses. When I checked with the tourist info center on the return bus timing, she noted that I am a tourist and volunteered to explain the history of the village to me as I waited for the bus. In all, I'm glad I made this trip.