“An upscale place with beautiful decor”

The Grand Daegu Hotel
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Daegu
Chicago, Illinois
“An upscale place with beautiful decor”
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Stone lions guarding the entrance, bellhop service to our room, large screen TV, beautiful, relaxing decor in tasteful neutrals. Close to the Beomeo subway stop, and not far from Dong Daegu station. Breakfast was extra at 18,000 won per person, so only indulged in it once, but the room is gorgeous with well-placed waterfalls outside the windows to block the city street. There was a wide variety of food including fresh fruit and made to order omelets. We got there about 15 minutes before closing at 10 am. thinking once we were inside we could stay until we were finished eating, but they started putting the food away about 10:05, and came to our table to tell us they are closing. Apparently, the breakfast area is closed on Mondays as well. That aside, we were able to use the internet in the business area for free, which was very much appreciated. There are three restaurants: Chinese, Western and Korean. We opted for the Chinese, and were given a private room, which was very nice.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 23, 2008

The facilities in the room were very new. Room was more spacious than the ones in Seoul. Very huge LCD TV. Warm ambient. Highly recommended. Internet access is chargeable.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
NYC
Reviewed June 8, 2008

I stayed at the Daegu Grand with a large group of people (total of 8 rooms) as we were all there for a wedding at the hotel. Although overall, it is a very nice hotel and I do not have many complaints, the room quality varied much between the 8 rooms we had, even though we all paid the same price per room. I found that some rooms had a new Plasma (LCD?) HD TVs and very large bathrooms, while others had neither. However, all the rooms were comfortable and nice enough and no one in our group complained about it (and we did have some primadonnas among us who liked to complain about anything and everything). The hotel itself is very nice and in a great location. The rooms and bathrooms very nice and clean and comfortable.

The hotel is in the downtown area, and was connected by subway, many bus lines, and a short taxi ride from everywhere else in the city.

The internet connection is fast and free (I had my laptop with me, and I do not know what the cost is for using the hotel business center). I did not eat any of the food in the hotel restaurants, but I did notice the breakfast buffet was 16,000 Won (approx US $16). I love Korean food and there was much cheaper options right outside the hotel which was very nice.

I have heard that there are only two hotels in Daegu that can be considered first rate (Grand and the Interborgo). I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Grand to anyone who is planning a trip to Daegu as I had a pleasant enough stay there.

One note: The hotel gym costs $22 per day, even for guests. I went to the gym one day and asked the person at the door how much it was. She didn't speak english very well and said "two thousand two hundred Won" and I thought not bad. Then she printed out the receipt and it said "22,000 Won" and I was outta there real quick.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable rooms. Great location. Free Internet.
  • Disliked — Inconsistancies among rooms, expensive to use the hotel gym.
  • Stayed May 2008
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed June 2, 2008

This hotel is simple the best one in town.. The location is just perfect, you can take a cab for about five minutes, and you've arrived at the Daegu's busy shopping district.. from the outside, this hotel might looks just okay, but the room is very satisfying! My room was only the standard one, as I was travelling with group tour, but my room was installed with LCD tv..thats just awesome! with great selection of channels! much more than the Reinassance at Seoul..the bathroom is clean! and the design is very modern, bright, just great! The room is very comfortable. Breakfast is not bad, quite good. Basically, if you are looking for hotel at Daegu, look no where else, this is the perfect-est choice!

• Liked — simply the best hotel in town
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed February 13, 2008

Rooms are very nice, well equipped.
Just-plug-in internet connection is very fast.

Bathroom is excellent, with a very nice design.

Stuff are friendly and very kind.

Breakfast is at a lovely place with a nice (even a bit artificial) view, with a great variety of choices.

Metro is very close and easy to get into the center.

In general, excellent value and a very nice place to stay, one of the nicest I have stayed so far.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business