“Great western food and awesome bar staff”
Review of Sharky's Bar and Grill 1 - CLOSED

Sharky's Bar and Grill 1
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Steakhouse, Pub, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sharky's Bar and Grill Haeundae Beach (S1) located in the Pale De Cz building, next to the paradise hotel in Haeundae. On the 2nd floor (towards the back). Can be hard to find but worth it! Sharky's Bar and Grill, Not just bar food but Fresh Quality food you can taste! This San Diego-inspired bar has become a fixture of the Haeundae Beach renowned for its Big Boy Burgers, Authentic Mexican and Killer Steaks. It's a comfortable and unpretentious atmosphere that is family friendly but still caters to business travelers and locals.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great western food and awesome bar staff”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I’ve been going to Sharkys to get my western and Mexican food fix for the past year. This is truly a great American style bar to go to. Favorite night of the week is Friday nights at the Haeundae location. Great live music and wonderful bar staff. It’s great to have bar staff that loves football as much as I do. He was great to talk to and joke around with. But food wise I would recommend their Gwangan location. It is just more consistent and faster. The food at that location is always hot and excellent.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Y C
MichaelHaps, Manager at Sharky's Bar and Grill 1, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Thanks for the review, we appreciate it. Catch you soon.

-Sharky's

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Santa Barbara, California
“Please Please Please: DO NOT GO THERE”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I went to Sharky's just once, with my friends, and I swear they're not gonna see us again. Overpriced & low quality food that completely defeats the purpose of going out for American food. We were seated at the bar. Terrible lighting. We ordered spinach artichoke dip and chips first. The chips were stale and not crispy, the dip was very bland and had no spinach/artichoke in it. Also, they had overpriced drinks compared to other local bars. Absolutely awful and disappointing.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank KiraS1980
MichaelHaps, Manager at Sharky's Bar and Grill 1, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
First off, we are very sorry that you had a bad experience at Sharky's. It's never our intention to server food or drinks that make the customer as unhappy as you were and have them leave feeling the way you did. But I do have to respond a bit to your remarks as they seem a bit extreme especially with the title; Please, please, please; do not go there (in all caps by the way).

First lets address your lighting issues, it is a bar after all, i am not sure what kind of lighting you expect to find at a bar but normally people can see just fine in Sharkys, were very sorry that you found the bar dark and without the proper lighting.

Second, you mention the pricing of Sharky's drinks being "overpriced drinks compared to other local bars." Our domestic drafts start at 3,500 won (about $3), Our mixed drinks are 6,000 won ($5.5) for a single and 8,000 ($7.5) won for a double. I am not sure what other bars you are referring too but this seems to be in line with our competitors. Please keep in mind that includes, VAT (tax) as well. We don't feel these prices are "outrageous" as you point out so boldly in your review. I am not sure where you find much lower drink prices compared to Sharkys but i think you would be hard pressed to find a bar or restaurant on the strand, near the beach, that would be much lower or would fall in your expectation of "fairly priced," which we do feel Sharky's is.

Third, you mention, "Overpriced & low quality food that completely defeats the purpose of going out for American food." We are again very sorry that your dip and chips didn't come out tasting the way you expected but to generalize stating Sharkys has low quality food after admitting in your review that you have visited just one time, tried only one item of our 60+ menu items, and saying it defeats the purpose of going out for American food seems a bit harsh especially for a first time visitor. I would think you might want to try more than one item in order to generalize as you seem to have done about the food. It would give you a better test sample to be able to make that kind of call. There is no excuse for your dip and chips to have come out poorly and for that we take full responsibility. Please allow us to try again for you or please stop in and speak to a manger and we will make sure to refund your money for the dip you paid for.

Next, lets address the overpriced food comment. Currently we have a 2 for $20 special (runs 7 days a week, open to close, at all locations) that gets you an entree and an appetizer, 2 entrees, or 2 appetizers, choosing from 14+ menu items. That comes out to about $10 per person (im sorry but again, this seems in line with most restaurants in our area.) Most of our appetizers/entrees as stated on this site range from $10-$30. We have many items in the $9.99 range and Steaks, Ribs, ect. at the higher end range. I think this would be considered fairly normal at most bar and grills.

Lastly, I'd like to address your reviews title,“Please Please Please: DO NOT GO THERE” . As a restaurant/bar customer living here in Korea for quite some time, I have been to a lot of food places in Busan. I have seem some pretty dingy bars, unclean restaurants, low quality ingredients used, nasty looking kitchens and horrible tasting food. Sharky's is NOT one of those places. In addition, to put out there a title for a review as you so boldly did. I think you might take a look around at where you do go out to eat next time your out and if you think Sharky's is that bad, i might think twice about eating out at all.

I do want to say that normally when responding to a review we are positive but in this case I thought as harshly as you judged us, it only seemed fair to point out a few things in your review that seems a bit unjust, unfairly critical and judgmental. (I know that doesn't solve the problem but it helps to clarify a one sided story, that was clearly lacking pertinent information in your review.)

We are truly sorry about your bad experience at Sharky's bar and grill, and I really do hope you stop in to get a refund on your dip and chips. It's not fair of us to charge you for something that is clearly something you did not eat nor enjoy.

Thanks again for the feedback and please know that we have message all Sharky's lead cooks and let them know so that in the future we don't have the same issues with our very popular artichoke spinach chips and dip.
Guangzhou, China
“Best Western Food in Busan, Hands down.”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Sharky's Bar and Grill is one of the best places to enjoy Western Food in Busan without overpaying as in many nearby hotels. It almost tastes like home made...! The great beer selection compliments the varied menu, from salad to burger, burritos to steaks everything exceeds your expectations. Live music on the weekends makes it a good place to hangout after dinner. Keep it up, guys. I'll be back.

• Visited November 2013
MichaelHaps, Owner at Sharky's Bar and Grill 1, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thanks for the review. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience at Sharky's. It's really nice at Sharky's Gwagan with the 15 draft beers on tap, it's nice to have choices of premium craft beers.

As you mentioned we do take pride in our food, from the Big Boy Burgers to the authentic Cali Mexican like our mom used to make for us growing up is what makes us unique. Being able to bring that taste and freshness to Busan is something we take great satisfaction in.

Thanks again for the review and hope you visit again soon. Next time your in town, check out our newest location on the Haeundae Strip, Sharkys 3, it's pretty cool.

Mike
“Fresh Ingredients”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have known the owner, Mike, since 2009, and have known him since he owned Sunset Grill on Haeundae Beach, near the current Sharky's location, and watched the growth of Sharky's since they opened in 2010 not only as a business but in food quality. While their food has always been good, I noticed a big change when they gradually began using all fresh ingredients for all of their sauces, and make everything from scratch. In my conversations with Mike, I would say this is what he prides his kitchen on the most. And they are constantly experimenting with new menu items. Also, as a Texan, I found their Mexican food choices to be just about as close as you can get away from home.

• Visited August 2013
Thank you Anthony for the review. It really is amazing how far Sharky's has come. As you mentioned doing everything fresh, from veggies, to sauces, to dressings, all home made has made a huge difference in the taste and quality of our food.

We are opening up Sharky's 3 on the Haeundae Strip this weekend. We are very excited about it, the 2nd and 3rd floor, near Thursday Party. Pretty cool place bro.

Thanks again for the awesome review.

Mike
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“Great friendly vibe and good food/locations”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have eaten here too many times to count over the two years I lived in Busan within a short walk of Sharky's Gwangan. Rick is always great and very accomodating to people's needs but the kitchen hours have changed since opening . They always have great deals on food if you can get there early enough, but they started ending them earlier in the evening which makes it hard for Academy teachers! These guys have great food and are always open when you need some great western food in Busan! Not as much of a bar vibe as it once was, but certainly cool and features some great music and events! You can easily slip into the crowd of being a regular at this place on the beach!

• Visited June 2013
MichaelHaps, Owner at Sharky's Bar and Grill 1, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Tyler,

First off, thanks so much for taking the time to give us a review. It's also nice that you had a chance to visit both locations, in a few weeks we hope to be able to have you visit our 3rd location on Haeundae beach (on the main street). We hope the keep the great food vibe going on there as well.

Our 2 for $20 meal deal is on 7 days a week from open to close so no reason to rush for a good deal on dinner. We also featured new items on special often so please ask your server about them. Our normal operating hours at Sharkys Gwangan are Mon-Thurs 6-12 and Friday 6-2. On Saturday and Sunday we open early for breakfast at 11am. Sharky's Haeundae is open everyday from 6pm and closes around 11pm on weekdays and 2am on weekends.

Thanks again for the response and hope to see you soon.

Michael