“Colourful Village!!”

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Colourful Village!!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I am running man Fan!! and definitely I want to visit this place!! This place is so colourful and peaceful~ There are some arts can be found on the way of exploring the village. You can buy a map to collect postcard but as we ran out of time so we only spend 20 minutes here.T.T

You can take bus to get here. If I am not mistaken, Bus no.2,2-2 can go there but if you are going with 2,3 friends, you can get a taxi as the fare from tokcheon subway station to there is only 5,000won and it takes around 10 minutes to go there.

Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Manila
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Urban Renewal at its Finest”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Gamcheon was essentially a slum are that reformed itself, with some government assistance, into a model for urban renewal. Instead of razing the decades old homes and organic connections that the residents have made, the government decided to turn it into a "cultural village" and set loose artists to help transform the area and turn it into a tourist destination. The colorful and sometimes unique houses are delightful, and I could spend hours just looking at them.

They have some sort of stamp hunting mission that they give to tourists in order to facilitate your wanderings around the area, unfortunately we didn't find it very helpful and eventually got lost while wandering about.

From Taesong station most blogs suggest you take a bus, but we found that taking a taxi was much more convenient, and only slightly more expensive than taking a bus if you have 2 or more people in your group (actually with 3 people it then because cheaper than taking the bus).

Visited May 2013
4 Thank ryansumo
Hong Kong, China
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Worth going through the village at a leisure pace”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

After reading the background of the village, this was the must-go place of my trip. But you really need to spend time going through the small alleys, follow the arrows like a treasure hunt, stop and appreciate the view. Because if you don't know the background or the idea of the project, it's probably not very special but just a bunch of colourful houses with weird (?) sculptures on the house ceiling, etc.

Buy the map from the information center (which is not accessed from the entrance of the village) or the art shop. Collect the stamps to get a prize (I think it's 2 postcards). I bought the map at the end of the trip so I missed the stamping game. But it doesn't hurt the fun - I created my own exploring route.

Cherry blossoms was also in full bloom so we felt lucky to see this seasonal sight.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank akaneantares
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Put this into your itinerary! :)”
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

This place is awesome! Really surprised that there are only two reviews for this place thus far.

I like the 'treasure hunt game' style of exploring this place. Spent a whole afternoon strolling through the narrow lines of houses that looked like Lego from afar. I'm not an artistic person so I experienced the place from a layman's point of view. Loads of photo opportunities and i regretted not bringing my instax along with me.. Souvenirs there are not expensive and worth buying if you are looking for something unique.

To reach there, take the metro to Toesong, exit 6. Walk straight from the exit until you reach a bus stop with bus 2 or 2-2.

6 Thank Junexh
Hong Kong, China
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Feel like going to favela in South America”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I hope my title will not be misleading. Why I feel it's like favela is because of the houses are very very close to each other in the mountain. Of course, the area is very safe. The community centre there created a treasure hunt game. You will be asked to go to certain buildings in the village and you can get a stamp there. When you collect enough stamps, you can get a postcard. You can see a lot in the place.
The way to go there is taking metro to Toseong-dong station (line 1). Then, you can take the taxi to the cultural village. It only cost 2800 won to take taxi there!

Visited March 2013