“Good place”

Ranked #11 of 159 Specialty Lodging in Busan
Houston, Texas
“Good place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

I stayed here back in June 2013. I came here on a long weekend from Seoul and wanted to see the sandcastle festival they had going on at Haeundae Beach. The hostel was very easy to get to with their directions. It is walking distance to the beach, which was great. The hostel was clean and had two different floors. I stayed on the floor with the lobby, which served a simple breakfast in the morning. Also had plenty of tables and a big TV for anyone to use. There was free WIFI in the lobby as well as the rooms. There was also a little rooftop terrace for anyone to use. The room itself was fine, a little small and got kinda of warm in the summer, but not uncomfortable. There was only one shower/bathroom to the room, so with 8 girls in a room that could make for a bit of waiting, but nothing too bad. The staff was very helpful and extremely friendly. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lelaelizabeth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Popcorn Hostel Haeundae Original has all the makings of a great experience in Busan: location (close to the subway station, Haeundae Beach, Busan Aquarium, restaurants, bars, and convenience stores) and the facility itself (big common room, small kitchen, and spacious rooms). The staff was friendly enough but lacked some passion that would bring us back no questions asked.

The Room: We stayed three nights in the "Superior Double or Twin Room," which says on the website a max of two people; however, the room had a bunk bed, plus a two-person bed (queen?). So plenty of space for three or four people. Our room smelled a bit "moldy" when we first got there (we think a dirty mop was used to clean prior to our arrival) but otherwise the room was pretty spotless. The bathroom was huge in Korean terms with an almost-separate shower (divided by a pane of glass -- classy!). Towels, shampoo, hand soap, toilet paper, toothpaste, and a hair dryer were all included. With no deadbolt or outer lock, our door did have the habit of coming open if we didn't consciously pull it tight. It was annoying but we dealt with it and obviously felt safe. Big spacious room, cable TV, a vanity, and windows that opened (be careful not to fall out; no screen or bars!), we were terrified at the prospect but appreciated the emergency escape rope kit just in case we'd have to scale down the side of the building haha.

The Free Breakfast: The basic eggs, white toast, and coffee hit the spot for us. Outfitted with a small working kitchen, we also made PANCAKES. Bring your own mix. Unrelated to breakfast, I also noticed self-serve beer coolers if you felt like staying in.

The Facility Itself: Located on the tenth and eleventh floors of a building (stair and elevator access), the Popcorn Hostel website gives good directions from Exit 3 of Haeundae Station. You'll pass Popcorn Hostel Blue along the way. The rooftop was available for smoking, taking pictures, and BBQ's in the summer. Popcorn has a nice urban, concrete style, complete with water coolers on each floor.

Popcorn Hostel Haeundae Original has all the pieces. I was overall happy with our stay and would go back if I didn't want to risk it with a new place. It simply lacked some of the charm I've found at other hostels in Korea that becomes part of the trip rather than just a place to crash every night.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank AH N
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed in this Hotel for 2 nights. It was an awesome experience for a Busan first timers like us. The location, room, and services are great. The manager and staffs are super accommodating and helpfull. The idea of cook your own breakfast is fun.

We would definitely go back to this Hotel in the near future. I hope they could expand and put up a branch in Seoul :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

The hostel is only 5 mins walk to haeundae beach and 500m to a halal eatery Star kebab. it is also walking distance to Busan Aquarium. we had a good morning walk from the hostel to Dongbaek where you can see a magnificent view of the Diamond bridge. The staff was very helpful especially Jay. he gave us very specific directions such that we didn't get lost when we went to Gamcheon village and made our stay in busan an enjoyable one.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Farhati A
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have very few good things to say about this hostel.

First of all, it was not easy to find at all. The map given on their business card was very little help and the signage on the outside was not obvious (obscured by other signs).

The staff were originally very helpful and friendly to us, but less so to other guests that were phoning for directions time and time again until the staff got frustrated and told them to go elsewhere.

The common room was taken up by the staff watching dramas on TV in Korean. It was not a friendly atmosphere, barely anyone was in the room, despite the large hostel being "fully booked".

My iPad was stolen, despite my room being locked and the only people staying in there were staff. The management apologised and said they had checked cctv and said nobody had gone in or out with it, or even a bag. They also initally claimed that there had never been any thefts there at all. After talking to another member of staff they told me that they used to have lockers, but after they were all broken into by one american guest they got rid of them.

The nights were very noisy as there was a club below that played music very loud until 4am every night. The heating in the room was too much, and the heated floor was so hot at one point I burnt my leg!

The breakfast was a bit basic, toast and coffee... More of a snack than a hearty breakfast.

Room Tip: don't go to this hostel, go to the "story" hostel a few floors below.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank supra11000
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

i had fun while staying there . clean room and private bathroom and quite... stuff speak English and they are helpful. you feel comfortable there. its near the beach like 5 to 10 mints wallk. the only thing i can consider is the price. i found hotels around the area big room less price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in popcorn from 10-13 Nov. Well, first impression of popcorn itself is good - suitable location, nearby haeundae beach, convenient since there's many restaurants and shops around, clean environment, staffs with good command of english, free breakfast (eggs, toast, coffee and tea), nice big room and private toilet, and super fast wifi connection. A clear 'hello' with no enthusiasm did make me felt a teeny wee bit welcome.

However, the staffs were a disappointment - no enthusiasm at all. I asked for direction from the staff (believe me, the staff rolled his eyes while answering me and I felt he was annoyed but that was my first time asking question in popcorn) to a tourist spot and the direction given was unspecific and unsure. Many times when on the way out from our room or on the way in to our room (we stayed on 11th floor so we have to pass through the reception desk every time we went in and out from our room), we wanted to ask for direction but most of the time, the staff on duty was either on the phone or sleeping on the couch in front of the tv (and we felt sorry to wake the staff up). Therefore, I got to ask direction for once only throughout my stay. Aha, talking about 'friendly staffs' I read from the review, there were no greetings at all from them after our check in (Not to be fussy! Before going to busan, we went to jeju and seoul. The staffs in jeju and seoul were so welcoming and helpful! that I couldn't stop myself from comparing.)

The funny part was while doing research before my trip, popcorn hostel was listed as one of the top in busan but the taxi driver took half and hour driving around, finding for this hostel.

If I were to go back to Busan, I will definitely......not going to stay in popcorn again because I really need helpful and friendly staffs in helping me with my travel especially in a country when language is a barrier.

Popcorn hostel is, however, recommended to travellers who love cozy rooms with scenic ocean view and clean environment!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Geraldine Y
PopcornHostel, Owner at Popcorn Hostel Haeundae, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Hello I am Roy the owner of the Popcorn Hosel

I read your review well and I am truly sorry for your inconvenience.

I went on holiday, it is my first holiday since Sep. 2010, while you are staying hostel. After I left, my manager started to feel sick on his back coincidentally . He went to hospital and the doctor said he has got spinal disk on 5, 6th back born. However, he could not have treatment well course he was on duty.
I guess he was suffering his pain for a couple of day. As you read our other reviews, friendly staffs are our pride and my most priority.
He has got schedule for surgery for his back even if after the surgery it will takes long time to get better however he apologies to you.
Please you to understand the situations it was now our meaning.
Sorry again.