“Great location, facilities and people”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostel the new day

and 1 more site!
Hostel the new day
Ranked #2 of 159 Specialty Lodging in Busan
Hong Kong, China
“Great location, facilities and people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was my first time staying at a hostel and I had a great experience. The staff are kind, fun and patient with questions. The atmosphere is very welcoming and they even have rooftop lounge. Location could not be better with the underground and the train station (e.g. to Seoul) close by. Do note that there are three showers in the same room with no curtains separating them (I'm a girl), but I never had to take a shower with anyone even though the hostel was quite full.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jessicang6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our experience with HTND was matched by the expectations set by their numerous 5 star reviews. It's all true. James is an excellent manager and his good English will be a godsend to less experienced travelers (he was suitably impressed with my kindergarten level Korean). The chic decor will be used as a peg for our condo back home, and it's as spotless as could be. If you want more gushing reviews feel free to scroll down, but to try to be helpful I'm going to list a few things that might deter someone from staying in HTND

1. The private rooms come with a typical East Asian combined shower/toilet, which essentially means if you're not sued to it you will get water everywhere. We don't particularly like this combo but it's something we happily overlooked.

2. The traditional tourist spots of Nampa, Jagalchi, etc. are a but of a subway ride away, perhaps 45 mins assuming you don't make a mistake (which we did) and get off at the wrong station. You might consider staying in a hostel along subway line 1 if this is the case. Since this was our second trip to Busan and we wanted to explore more of the Haeundae area this time it was perfect for us.

3. Our room was facing the sunrise, and I was woken quite early by the morning light. If you want to sleep in, make sure to bring an eyemask.

4. Their private rooms have twin beds instead of double beds. No biggie. My wife and I prefer sleeping next to each other of course, but once again we were willing to overlook this minor issue.

Those minor caveats aside, I see no reason why you would ever want to stay anywhere else in Busan. One very specific reason we stayed in HTND was because it was right next to the Haeundae subway station, which itself is next to the Haeundae train station. Since we were going to Gyeongju for the second part of our trip, the train from Haeundae to Gyeongju proved very convenient for us, and is the major reason we picked the hostel. If you're looking to do a Busan plus Gyeongju trip, HTND is the ONLY place to stay,

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the morning sun if you prefer to sleep in.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ryansumo
Daejeon, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hostel really is the best hostel in South Korea! If you are going to Busan, you MUST stay here. The staff are multi-lingual and the Manager James, is kind, polite and so friendly. They offer diffrent room sizes, from single, double, triple, 4,6,8,10+ so its perfect no matter how large or small your group. The location is EXCELLENT, only 5mins from the beach, 2mins from the subway, 2mins from the best irish bar in Korea, (Guinness and fish and chips!) there are lots of shops, bars, restaurants close by, and a train station also a large market!. The hostel is really clean, and you get lockers for your shoes near the entrance and a larger locker in the room for your bags all FREE of charge! there is free breakfast and juice, tea, coffee. the facilities are really modern and clean. and best of all.. there is a large roof garden with city view! you can chill out here, eat, drink and relax with your friends. there is gorgeous garden furniture and lovely flowers. I've been to this hostel many times and i will always return, if i'm going to Busan, i'm going to the new day hostel.

Room Tip: If you want a private bathroom select a room with one, otherwise the shared bathroom facilities are...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sophie D
Kasson, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I watched my kindergarten students graduate and an hour later see the academy they went to/I had worked at for 10 months close all in the same day. I didn't know where to stay a week later until a friend suggested I go to this hostel as her friend worked there and she knew the owners. I stayed there a week and had a terrific experience. All the staff went out of their way to keep everything clean. I had paperwork to submit to the States. They let me print everything out for free, fed me lunch and a few dinners for free, had cake to celebrate the owners birthday, and they were just so friendly. At the last minute I decided to go to China. I had one day to send 4 boxes of things back to the States, close my bank account, get Chinese yuan, and ship via DHL my computer home. I didn't want to use my cc with DHL since my cc company adds an extra charge when using it out of the U.S. So, one of the staff, Seung Hoon, used his personal cc to pay DHL, and I later paid him cash. It was things like that, having the privacy of being able to use the 7th floor and go onto the patio, Wifi, free use of the washing machine, and having soap and shampoo always available that really made a stressful time very relaxing. I can't thank the staff at the New Day enough. I will always remember their kindness.

Karen

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the reservation and kitchen area as the noise echoes.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Recently travelled to Busan , with my family of four ( 2 adults,2 Children aged 4 & 9)and another family with children of similar ages, what a wonderful and warm place , everthing was clean and well kept the staff were always willing to assist in every single way and a very special thank you to Mrs Cho for the generosity you extended to our children , the location is fantastic and easy to access from the Haeundae Metro Station ,which is also a stop for the Busan City Tour Bus - I look forward to visting again sometime

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Raddy_13
HKG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed in Hostel the New Day for 3 nights. It was the best of the best hostel I've ever stay. Staff were nice, helpful and friendly. Apart from the staff, the hostel itself is in a great and awesome location, just next to Haeundae Metro station and opposite to the Haeundae Train Station, a 5 mins walk to the famous Haeundae Beach. Furthermore, the entire hostel is spotless clean and with a equipped kitchen. I personally love their rooftop garden and commom area, that is perfect. However, the sound proof needs some improvement.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kendy M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Just checked out of Hostel The New Day, and stayed for a night there. Staff were great and friendly and allowed us to use the common showers after checkout. The room was sparkling clean. Everything was taken care of - from towels to shower gel, shampoo and hair dryer. :)

The location was awesome - just a few steps away from the metro's exit. However, the station 'haeundae' itself is far from the places on my itinerary and traveling on the metro took me some time.

Brekie was simple, but sufficient.

The security is good, with card access from the ground floor. Definitely ok for single lady traveller.

Would go back to the hostel again. Very value for money!

• Stayed March 2013