“comfortable”

Ranked #8 of 137 Hotels in Busan
Dallas, Texas
“comfortable”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Was very comfortable with great views and wonderful service. Was a bit taken aback at the "Government regulation no longer allows us to provide basic toiletries as an amenity..." funny how every other hotel in the area still provides shampoo, soap, etc... was half expecting them to charge by the sheet for toilet paper...

Room Tip: just avoid the 4th floor....
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The property was more dated than I expected, which was a disappointment. That being said, the location was very nice, and once I was able to explore the area, you could walk to shopping and food rather easily. It was also easy to get cabs to and from the hotel. There's a nice walking area nearby if you like to run or hike in the mornings for exercise, I thought it was quite pleasant and scenic.

The room was comfortable enough - I think if my company had given me an ocean view room it would have been much better, and I hear the executive suites are very nice. (My friend stayed in a suite prior to my stay and raved about it). That being said the park view rooms are nothing special.

The breakfast was good, but overpriced for what it was. My coworker and I ate there once and then decided to go out and find cafes instead.

The spa was really nice, though if you know Korean spas it's pretty standard. Hot tubs, cold tubs, showers, and saunas (dry and steam). There's a nice relaxation area with leather chairs where you can read or watch tv - there's only one massage chair and it was hard to get around the older ladies who were vying for it. It would be nice if they had more of them on hand.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, standard with Korean hospitality and service.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room on a higher floor if you can
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed August 19, 2012

In all of my travels, I have never experienced such limiting policies than at the Westin Chosun Busan. Having booked a club floor room because of the convenience of breakfast and soft drinks, we expected the usual club floor experience. Well, none of that here!

When I woke up one morning, I wanted to get a cup of coffee from the club room to bring back to my room, which was just a few yards away from the Club Room. Well, they don't have any cups to take out coffee and they have a policy of not having you take out the coffee. So, I went to my room and got a cup from the room and they still refused to let me fill the cup up and return to my room.

My wife went to the club room to get some fruits while I was working out. We then planned to have our breakfast together an hour later. When we returned for breakfast there, they informed us that they would be charging her for the second visit that morning! Like I said, we have never experienced that kind of policy in all of our travels.

When we called the Camellia restaurant for dinner reservations, the host quickly said 'no seats available.' Since we were hungry and tired and this was the only place, we patiently waited for two seats -- there were many due to the buffet turnover. The price was $125 USD for two which was quite overpriced for the value of the food and the service.

Room Tip: The hallways have a bad odor - smells like food, perhaps because we were on the Club Floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank hirohi
Shanghai, China
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We've stayted at several Starwood hotels and we've never been disappoineted, until now. The location of the hotel is excellent and the lobby is quite nice. The rooms were dated. There was mold all over the shower curtain and the airconditioner didn't function properly. We had an ocean view room and view was amazing.
The service at this hotel was surprisingly bad. We asked for beach towels and they wanted to charge us. The only other thing we asked for was a one hour late check out. We expected either a simple yes or no, but the answer was yes, but only for a price. English is fluently spoken thoughout Busan and the locals are extreamly friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, at the Westin, English was a huge barrier and the staff was unfriendly.
They mention that they offer vegetarian dishes, but when we went to the restaurants there were no vegetarian options available and they were unwilling to make any dish vegetarian. The room service menu had veg options, but the restaurants were unwilling to make anything vegetarian.
I spoke to the GM about some of the difficulties we were experiencing and he was extreamly apathetic, which says a lot about why the sevice at this property is so poor.
I have never written a Trip Advisor review before, because I have never been this unhappy with the service at a hotel or resort that I've visited. Although I love W's and Westin's, I will think hard about staying at a Starwood hotel in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Brobro77_12
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located right on the beach. Ask for the beach view room. Then at night, just open the window to hear the waves. It should put you to sleep like a baby. It did it on me. The rooms have recently been upgraded. Breakfast was good too.

• Stayed March 2012
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Westin Chosun Busan simply does not live up to the standard of service and hospitality set by the Westin hotel chain and the Starwood Hotel brand. To be honest I have yet to find a "high-end" hotel in South Korea where the staff truly seem to grasp what "hospitality" means which in-turn leads me to think that this is actually a cultural issue. I have traveled extensively to South Korea and feel that I have ample data-points in this area. Every time I pay for a high-end hotel I am disappointed. They hotels should receive "excellent" ratings and not just "average".

We arrived late from a snowboarding trip due to traffic but still arrived close to 7pm and in time to make the "executive happy hour" which is one of our favorite perks of staying in a Westin hotel. All of the "ocean view" rooms on the executive floors were booked, so I opted to stay on a floor that would still give us an ocean view even though it wasn't on an executive level as long as we still got the other perks.

Upon arriving at executive happy hour and grabbing a table one of the staff made a big stink and yelled across the room that we were not staying on the executive level and that we could not attend the happy hour. I kindly asked for her to check the records and explained why and she confirmed why I was choosing to stay on a different floor. I would have expected her to do this discretely and not in the open in front of all the guests around us.

There was still 30min left in the happy hour at this point and most of the food and hors d'oeuvres were gone. When we asked for the staff to refill the food and they refused even though it was obvious that other guests also expected the food trays to be refilled. We explained to the staff that we did not get to partake in anything as it was all gone when we arrived and they reluctantly refilled some of the food trays. The food was gone in a flash so it was obvious that other guests also expected more.

The executive happy hour lasts until 8pm at all Westin hotels around the world and is a great perk and worth the upgrade to an executive level if you have the option. At 7:45pm the staff at the Westin Chosun Busan started cleaning up and closing down. They didn't make "last call", and they didn't go around and ask guests if they would like anything else. They simply started taking down and setting up for breakfast in the morning. To me this is unacceptable and I have many other experiences from Westin hotels around the world to contrast this with. They can wait until the guests have finished their drinks before they start cleaning up and setting up for the morning. The service at the happy hour was absolutely horrendous!

The line for breakfast the next morning was really long with a very long wait like they might have over-sold the restaurant that morning, but we finally got a table and felt sorry for the larger parties and families that were having to wait longer (it was easier for us because we were just 2). The breakfast was good but nothing outstanding.

Upon checkout my hotel bill was wrong and they had charged me twice for breakfast (I paid with the room and they charged again) and had another charge that I had to question that was not supposed to be there. It took the staff entirely too long to correct this error and I feel lucky that I caught it before I left the hotel.

If you want to pay a lot of money to stay at a hotel on the beach and don't care so much about service, then this hotel might be for you, but when I pay this price-point for a hotel I expect a very high level of service because that is what I feel like I'm paying for. I am also paying for the "Westin" brand. The Westin Chosun Busan is far from that mark.

There are much cheaper options in the Haeundae area. I would not stay here again because I don't think the price warrants it. I will opt for a "love motel" in the future and have no service expectations that will make me feel bad about the high prices I paid for a hotel room!

Room Tip: If you stay here then you have to opt for a room with a view of the beach and the ocean otherwise yo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ReyShaunMadolora
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is beautifully located at the end of hyundae beach. Rooms are worn out and service is relatively poor in regards to Asian standards. I have been really disappointed by the breakfast, far from what the westin chosun Seoul does offer. However probably still a very good option in Busan!

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business