“hotel is ok, staff is a mixed bag and housekeeping is bad”

ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre
Ranked #9 of 156 Hotels in Busan
Reviewed October 5, 2013

At check in there was at beginning a lot of confusion about the room type, the room rates and the Accor vouchers that I intended to use for paying my bill. Most staff was nice but obviously a bit inexperienced. Hotel itself is relatively new and the location ist not bad, very close to the city center (but at same time very far from the beaches) and very near to the subway (take exit 9, through the underground shopping mall).

Room was of the typical good ibis standard, but housekeeping was a desaster: a lot of long black hairs everywhere, especially in the bathroom. Generally I found that the room was not so clean. The windows are not soundproof which is annoying given a lot of noise coming from the busy streets surrounding the hotel.

Breakfast was very very good, far better than in most ibis hotels I have been so far (it's more like what you can expect in Accor's Novotel or Mercure), but: at same time breakfast is very very pricey too, much more expensive than usually in ibis hotels (you also pay the Novotel or Mercure rate for breakfast). At the entrance of the hotels is a Starbucks and a convenience store, I would recommend to have breakfast there (but: Starbucks opens only at 7.30 am).

Coming back to staff: would describe them as a "mixed bag" - professional but not that much friendly. One evening (close to midnight!) I went to the reception asking the lady whether I could take one of the used english newspapers that are on display at the reception area with me to my room. She refused. Considering that it was close to midnight (in less than one hour it would have been yesterday's newspaper!) and that there were no other guest at the reception area this was an unfriendly, unprofessional and ridiculous behaviour.

Generally: hotel's in Busan a very expensive and the ibis is relatively "cheap" - but still too expensive for what it offers.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
ibis_Busan, 제너럴 매니저 at ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Greetings from ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre.
However, I sincerely apologize your inconvenience during your stay, Concerning condition of room. I immediately raise issue to concerned department and staffs.
We will more focus on, Good status of room for our customers.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The hotel is located very close to major city center attractions, like Lotte department. It was very clean. Yes, the rooms are very small, but seriously you don't need much when you are out all day long. We have tried the breakfast in the restaurant that is located on the same floor where the front desk is, the breakfast was pretty good, of course if you go to the town you can find cheaper options but if you are very hungry its there for you.
The staff does speak a good english and is quite friendly. My stupid credit card did not work at the check in, probably, because of the international transaction it got denied (I called the back later on and yelled at them for denying it) but the guy that was checking us in didnt make it a big deal just asked for another one and thank God another card worked just fine, and even though it was embarassing I was thankful for the front desk staff tactful behavior.
I love Busan and if we ever come back there and still can't afford fancy hotel (like Lotte) the Ibis hotel would be our def choice

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
ibis_Busan, 제너럴 매니저 at ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre!
We very much appreciate your good comments regarding hotel lnformation and staff english service, our room status at the Ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Especially, I deeply appreciate your compliment of our hotel good location and staffs. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Have a nice day!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Excellent location within the city center and right on top of the Bujeon market (line 1) subway station. Easy access using the metro subway station to all the sites we wanted to visit (Beomosa Temple, BIFF square, Jagalchi market, Taejongdae park area, Haedong Yonggungsa Temple, Haeundae beach, Centum city, Nampo-dong shopping, Yongsusan Park, Gamcheon Culture village etc. We got to the sites by subway and either walk or catch a taxi to the site. Rather convenient. English maps are readily available. With all the travelling by subway, it was advantageous to purchase a subway day pass (KRW 4,000) instead of paying on a per trip basis (KRW 1,100 to 1,400 one-way). It also connects to the Gimhae airport via the Light Rail system and Sasang subway station on line 2. The total fare is KRW 1,200 subway plus KRW 1,600 Light rail.

The concierge (of door man) at the hotel speaks fairly understandable English and is very helpful. Hotel is very clean, well maintained, staff is efficient and attentive. We were given a room on the 12th floor and the room is nice and quiet. No street noise. Immediate vicinity of the hotel is not much to shout about although a visit to the Bujeon wet market located just behind the hotel is interesting.

Room Tip: The junior suite was spacious and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre!

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Especially, I deeply appreciate your compliment of our hotel location and information desk staffs.
We will more focus on good buffet service for our customers.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was very pleased with my stay at the Ibis Ambassador. You essentially have two choices when staying in Busan, at the beach area, or the downtown city area. The beach area is really only active during July and August. When we were there in September, the beach umbrellas were down and there was hardly anyone on the beach even though it was beautiful weather. So our decision to stay in the downtown area was wise and I would suggested it to you also. The Ibis is right at the Bujeon subway stop. To reach it from the airport, after entering the departure hall of the airport, go to the area marked 2 outside. There are 3 different bus routes. Look for the bus that is going to Lotte department store. This is the closest you are going to get to Ibis. Bus is 6000 won. When getting off at Lotte, you can walk in a forward direction and then to your left as the road curves that way. Or you can go downstairs to the subway stop, and walk the shopping arcade. Remember walk in a forward direction away From Lotte. You may have to ask for directions, but if you say Ibis Ambassador they will know where you want to go. Great for hot or cold and snowy days. You can exit from number 1. There is an elevator if you have lots of luggage. But you will be across the street from the Ibis and will need to walk half way up the block to cross the street and then back down the other side. Or the better way is exit 9. It brings you right to the front door of the Ibis. But be warned this exit closes around the same time as the mall closes about 9 pm. There is a desk at the first floor of the hotel which is manned at all times. The lobby is on the 17th floor and the hotel rooms are on floors 10-16. The lower floors house a hospital. Off the lobby is the bar and restaurant and sitting area, all very cozy and comfortable. ,The guest rooms are very compact, but not overly so for one person. I had a queen size bed, a long sitting cushioned bench. All along the front wall with window was a long desk like counter. It had a built in port for computer, mobile and other device so you could easily use an IPad or computer without having to look for a plug for charging. Great idea. There was a rack with hangers and a tall narrow structure with 6 shelves. One of which was for the safe, and another for hot pot, cups and accessories. The remaining shelves I used for clothes. The toilet area was small but manageable. The shower was made into a triangle shape, so part was not usable as it was too skinny to stand in at least for my frame. But again this was not a major problem. The heated Japanese style toilet was a nice touch. The room was immaculate with plenty of lighting and a flat screen TV built into the wall. On the ground floor is a 7-11 type convenience store as well as a Starbucks. Behind the hotel is a huge market place with fresh fruits, vegetables and meats and fish. Out front along the busy street on both sides is many small shops as well as a huge number of vendors from one end to the other selling food and goods. If you want to walk to Lotte just walk down the subway stairs in front of the hotel and walk the shopping arcade toward the Seomyeon station. Also the Bujeon line beneath the hotel is a popular stop and connecting point to other lines. Hotel offers free wifi. Key cards used for elevators and rooms. The breakfast package was expensive, so we only ate there one morning. A good selection of western and Asian wishes with waffles, pancakes, juices and salads. All staff including first floor bellman spoke good english, were very helpful in directions and getting a taxi to Busan station. I was very satisfied with the Ibis
Ambassador in Busan for its cleanliness, location, staff, room and price. I would recommend it and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank bob2bkk
ibis_Busan, 제너럴 매니저 at ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Greetings from ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre!

Especially, I deeply appreciate your compliment of our hotel detailed location and information.
However, I sincerely apologize your inconvenience during your stay, Concerning bathroom size.
I immediately raise issue to concerned department and staffs.
We will more focus on, Good service mind for our customers.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Nice location right by a metro station.

Just a good business hotel, that offers all you need, but nothing more. Free Wi-fi is included and the the employees speak good English.

Very proper housekeeping. Clean room, which is not that common in Korea.

I would go again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
ibis_Busan, 제너럴 매니저 at ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with ibis Ambassador busan city centre!

Have a nice day!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend conference in Busan. It was a good choice. The location was great for being in the heart of the city and close to restaurants and shopping. The area was walkable and had access to public transportation. There is even a Starbucks and 24 hour convenience store on the ground floor of the hotel. The staff were very friendly and helped us with recommendations for great Korean restaurants and sightseeing as well as getting taxis.
The rooms were very small with few amenities. But it was modern and clean and quiet. There was free WiFi and water dispensers and generally you could ask for things like a plug in adapter. We felt comfortable and enjoyed our stay.
The only minuses would be that this is a basic business hotel on the Accor chain of hotels, so some services were limited. Like when I requested an extra pillow; I had to go to the front desk at reception to get it, because the didn't have housekeeping available at that time in the evening.
Overall, the front desk staff were the ones that made the difference. If they could help out, they made every effort to do so and I appreciated that a lot. So I would consider returning to this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013
ibis_Busan, 제너럴 매니저 at ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Greetings from ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre!

Especially, I deeply appreciate your compliment of our hotel location and staffs.
However, I sincerely apologize your inconvenience during your stay, Concerning service mind of the customers.
I immediately raise issue to concerned department and staffs.
We will more focus on, Good service mind for our customers.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for only 1 night. It is located right above Bujeon station and has a underground shopping street that link between Bujeon station and Seomyeon station. As we only spend a night there, it is very convenience just shopping around there. Shops nearer to Soemyeon station are selling more youngster stuffs. Lotte department store are right above Soemyeon station.
We arrived the hotel at 11am and we are not allowed to check in early. However, concierge on ground floor are helpful enough to keep our luggages and show us the direction arounds. They also helped us to book a taxi to airport on the following day where the taxi showed up promptly on 7am in the morning.
Check in and check out was fast, but it is quite inconvenience as the lobby located on 17th floor. You have to bring your luggages up and down few times.
Rooms is clean and tidy with sufficient tv channel.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SereneW
ibis_Busan, 제너럴 매니저 at ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Greetings from ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre!

We will more focus on good buffet service for our customers.