“New, good price, 15 min walk to city center”

ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre
Ranked #9 of 136 Hotels in Busan
Philippines
“New, good price, 15 min walk to city center”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

Hotel kind of feels like it was designed and furnished by IKEA. Not a bad thing, but it has a very Euro feel to it. Bright lights, bright colors, and lots of plastic. The check in is on the 17th floor, as the first 10 floors of the building are a hospital. Yes weird, but besides running into patients in hospital gowns walking around with IV stands in the convenience store at the ground level, you would never know.

My first problem was finding the place. The map that Agoda has online is 2 subway stops short. I walked around that area for an hour with my luggage like an idiot before I finally found and begged a pharmacist to help me find where the heck it was. So after 6 more flights of stairs and 2 subway stops, I found it. (dont even try getting into a cab without directions written in Korean) The hotel is right at BUJEON-DONG subway stop. One north of Seomyeon. NOT one south of Seoymeon.

As I walked in they had the prices posted, and it was $72 per night as opposed to the $81 that I just paid at Agoda. Both prices didn't include tax. Oh well. Live and learn.

The counter staff just barely spoke enough English, but this is par for the course in Korea. When I asked about the wireless, she said "bad signal" and offered a LAN cable. Too bad my Mac Air doesn't accept it. The wireless was hit and miss in the lobby though.

The room and toilet was tiny, again typical for Korea. Only a shower crammed into a corner. It had a nice flat screen, a tiny fridge with no freezer, a safe and of course the toilet bidet machine. The TV had 2 channels with shows in English, as well as BBC, CNN, and Asia News, but that was about it. The bed was soft. This is my 5th hotel in Busan, and the only that had a decent bed and pillows. It wasn't amazing or anything for US standards, but considering the last 5 hotels, it was heaven.

I went to lunch, and was told that as a single diner, I had to sit at the window bar with a tiny stool and a narrow bar to eat at. (I'm a big guy) My legs didn't even fit under the bar, no less my butt on the seat. Normally I walk out of places lie that, but there is nothing nearby to eat, and I was starving. All that, and there were about 20 empty tables. I could have been the "rude American" we are so often accused of being, but I just dealt with it. I asked the manager how much as he walked me to my stool. He said 12,000 won three times. $10 US. It wasn't until I left when I saw it was 22,000 $20 US. Again severe problems with speaking English. I didnt complain, I just paid it. This happens all the time in Korea and you just have to roll with it. It's their country. The buffet was pretty good, mostly all asian foods. I wasnt offered a drink, but they did bring water.

There is a grocery store directly across the street from the entrance (hard to see), and the hotel sites next to a giant public market with all sorts of local foods and goods. It's kind of a mini International Market. There wasn't much else close nearby.

If you walk out the hospital entrance past the convenience store and turn right, you can take bus 43 or 83 the 10 blocks south to Seomyeon where there are lots of restaurants and the Lotte department store. It costs 1200 Won. Or take the subway 1 stop if you like walking 6 flights of stairs.

I would definitely stay here again, as rarely do you find such a new clean hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank sailpac2002
ibis_Busan, General Manager at ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear Guest,

Warm Greetings from ibis ambassador Busan!

We very much appreciate your information and comment regarding your stay at the Ibis Ambassador busan.

It is always a pleasure to receive your feedback. However, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience during your stay.

Concerning location information, I immediately raised issue to travel agent to fix map of hotel location. also we will check and fix our location map of relative internet site. additionaly, Concerning restauant, I raised issue to concerned department and all of staff, It's proper training settled not to repeat same problem in the future.

also, your comment regarding room size and bath size, I carefully noted for future planning.

Richard Chung
Ibis Ambassador Busan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

As the hotel is newly opened, it's very clean. Staff are kind and attentive with good language proficiency. Free wi-fi was available in the hotel; so that was convenient. I had a bed & breakfast package of krw90,000 with the opening promotion. The room-only price was 80,000. The breakfast at the restaurant on the 17th fl was a good deal, compared to other hotels. The hotel shared the building with a hospital. Overall, it was a good value in downtown area of Busan. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank JLee023
ibis_Busan, PR 매니저 at ibis Ambassador Busan City Centre, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of ibis Busan. We are delighted you had a good experience at ibis Busan. We look forward to having you again soon.

We thank you again and wish you all the best!

Kind Regards,