“fishes and octopus and crabs and...”
Review of Busan Port

Busan Port
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
3-Day KORAIL Tour of Busan and Gyeongju from Seoul
Ranked #33 of 233 things to do in Busan
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I came here a Sunday afternoon looking for a fish restaurant (that I did not find - but read on :) ), and it was... overwhelming. Fishes and creatures of the sea of all kind, dried and salted and dead and living, the booths competing with each other to show that theirs where better and more alive than each others. The market is crowded, but it is so worth a visit! Many of the booths sell fish in the front and serve food in the back.

Once I was done with the open air area I went to the market hall, and the spectacle continued. More fresh seafood - and the best... the fish is sold on the ground floor and served on the first floor, so I got some food in the end anyway :). They had pictures in the menu, of course, and I got the best fish soup EVER, with all the good korean side dishes :)

1  Thank Maritian
in 5 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 6 reviews

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I reached Busan on a Sunday and there is cultural performance at the ground floor of Jaglachi Market Building, just on front of the sea. I heard Jaglachi host it's own festival in October every year. There was a 15 min firework at the seaport earlier in October but too bad I've missed it.

To have a good view of the port. You can visit the top floor of Jagalchi market. take the lift to 7th floor and walk up the stars to the top. It is opened to visitor from 9am to 6pm and is free of charge. There is 2 binoculars for viewing (no need to insert coin). it is very interesting to have a close up view of the fishing ships. I saw seagulls resting on the anchor rope, looks like they are queuing in a straight line. Too bad my camera can't zoom in that far to capture that moment.

2  Thank Guesswhat229
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went with a aim to see this famous fish market that is near the port. Busan is well known for its shipping industry and ports. We see containers lined along the holding areas as well as fish trawlers along another side of the Busan. The Jalgalchi fish market is overwhelming. The moment I got off the train, I can smell the fishy smell in the train station.

We spent time walking along the different streets leading the the fish market. Observing the live sea produce, the live squids, sea urchin, yellow fish, abalone, puffer fish, octopus etc. It is a refreshing experience for us especially we love " wet market" selling live sea produce. More importantly, for a fees, they cook it fresh for your consumption at their restaurants. We have our feasts of abalones and squids , all Korean cooking style with local beer. Yummy. Took pictures of the market and trawlers.
I told my hubby, the seagulls here look cleaner than those in SF. At least you can see it is 2 tones wings and no broken wings and feathers, they must be well fed by the fishermen. Korea. Is blessed with such rich produce and self sustaining for its locals.

3  Thank PamelaCheong
Reviewed March 20, 2013

had a little picnic with the friends at the bridge near the port. beautiful place.great sunset views.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 24, 2013

There's a nice view at the port, but the real winner is the fish market! Not only is there a huge selection of different sea creatures to gawk at (or buy), but there are little restaurants set up upstairs. We just pointed to pictures to order-- and everything tasted great! I had this dish with white rice and fresh, raw fresh. We also ordered the live octopus- it's a must-do! It's a little weird at first, but it tastes good. They don't kill the octopus right in front of you, they just bring the tentacles to you- which are still moving! Crazy. And they serve it with a really tasty dipping sauce. Of course, they serve everything with all the banchan (side dishes).

If you're in the port area, you definitely have to stop by the fish market and check out all the fish and eat here for lunch!

3  Thank Leia A