“Decent for the Value but Nothing Impressive”

Sunset Business Hotel
Ranked #34 of 156 Hotels in Busan
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This hotel is a block from Haeundae Beach which is quite convenient. It has quite a few positives about it but the negatives keep it from being a four star. We booked our room for 3 thinking it would have 3 twin beds, but apparently, "Ondol" means the Korean mats and no beds. Fortunately, the front desk was kind enough to give us a room with a double bed where one of us slept on a mat and we could upgrade to a room with 2 twins and a sofa the next day. The rooms are very clean with heated floors and Korean style to take your shoes off once inside. They offer large size shampoo and bath wash to use which is pretty nice. If you want conditioner you're screwed with the crappy quality minis they give. The twin deluxe is pretty roomy and very comfortable. The only thing that bothered me was the stench of the sewage permeating from the drain. It was pretty unavoidable every time I had to use the bathroom. Complimentary breakfast is offered here too which is nice, and I hate to blast it for the friendly, nice service. However, don't expect awesome. Everything is usually cold despite the attempt to keep it warm on a ceramic plate over hot water on a warmer. There isn't much variety either. The milk for the coffee was curdling one morning. It does the job. WiFi is reliable in the lobby, but not so much in the room even with a router tacked to the ceiling in the hallway. They have the A-team on during the day who speaks English and offers excellent service. After hours, you can expect some challenges if you can't speak Korean. They're nice enough. If you're checking out but still want to hang around, they will keep your bags behind the counter which is convenient. Overall, the important thing is a comfortable place to sleep which is of paramount importance.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chinesegirl2217

Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel is in the center of Haeundae Beach. If you turn right when walking out of the hotel entrance, you will be walking directly towards the beach and the aquarium entrance. None of the hotels are really right on the beach. There is a street that runs right in front of the beach and then the hotels run down several intersecting streets. To enter the hotel, go into the elevator and up to the lobbyl. We got a corner room suite and I thought it was very nice. It had wood (or wood looking) floors, nice bedding, and a large bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub overlooking the beach. There are some buildings in front of this hotel, but they aren't as tall so that you can still see the beach from this suite. The hotel room was clean, quiet, and had some toiletries offered. I thought things for purchase were clearly labeled. There is also a mini-fridge with some things for purchase. We went to one of the stores right across the street or at the corner for water and snacks. It was very convenient. At the base of the building is Burger and Pasta with a variety of food and good drinks. There was also a Dunkin Donuts across the street; great for coffee in the mornings; a traditional market is a few steps away from there walking away from the beach and is worth taking a look.

Room Tip: Try the corner suites for great views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lini04
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed in a standard double room on a Sunday and Monday evening. Our room itself, on the 13th floor, was nice. Great views and a decently comfy bed. However, the thumping base from whatever restaurant/club from wherever could be heard throughout the night. I read reviews about the noise, but was hoping that being on a higher floor would help. Not so much. It was better on Monday night, but only because the scene was much more subdued.

Strangely, when we came back to our hotel room on Monday from being out all day, cigarette smoke smell came wafting through the bathroom (we were in a non-smoking room.) We had to shut the door and turn on the bathroom fan to prevent the whole room from filling with cigarette smoke smell.

Finally, there was an issue with the free breakfast with room - I booked through asiarooms.com, and that showed that one breakfast per room was included. However, the front desk was hesitant to give us the free meal coupons, as the price we paid didn't include a breakfast according to their matrix ofpratts. I had to show my confirmation email that showed proof of breakfast. (By the way, paying the additional 10,000KRW for another person for breakfast isn't really worth it.)

I'm not sure I'd stay again, but the price was right, and the location was good for a trip in November.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jsquiggle
Reviewed November 18, 2012

When the cab dropped me off in front of the hotel, I got excited because it was in a nice area with such proximity to the beach. However upon entering the building I realized that the hotel was not the entire building but just the upper floors. The first few floors were restaurants, a tanning club, a bar and a Karaoke place.

I arrived a little past 3pm so check in was a breeze and my room was already ready.
Upon arriving in my room I was happy to see that it let a lot of light in, there were huge windows with a view of Haeundae beach which was a pleasure waking up to every morning.

The hotel is situated right beside a KFC, Baskin Robins, several Coffee shops, restaurants and a G25 convenience store, which is like a 7-eleven and a FamilyMart. (now called CVS, not to be confused with the US based Pharmacy)

The room was very spacious for a solo traveler like myself but it could comfortably fit a family of 3. The bathroom was spacious as well, and the room had 2 sinks, one in the main bathroom and another in the Budoir Area.

Everything in the room was great except for the air conditioner which was hard to figure out, there were 2 remote controls (both in Korean) So I gave them a call in the lobby and guess what? They can control the Air conditioner from there so that fixes that problem.

The TV had mostly Korean channels so I just didn’t watch that much of it.
The internet in the room was rather slow and glitchy, My unlimited data roaming on my mobile phone was faster. Although, there are several computers that you can use in the lobby to surf the net and to print boarding passes, tickets or maps.

The Breakfast was pretty basic. They served sausage, eggs, rice, bacon, bread, fruits, cereal, salad and yep you guessed it, Kimchi. Don’t feel bad if you wake up late and missed it.

Checking out was such a breeze just went to the lobby surrendered the key and that was that.

It was such a nice treat staying at this hotel, the area was nice, rooms were clean and big

pictures at www.francosaycon.com

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank francosaycon
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed in standard ondol room for 3 nights. 3-5 minutes away from Haeundae Beach, 5-10 minutes away from subway/bus station, a distance away from the main KTX station though via subway. Room is great, clean, spacious shower, good heating system. My only complaint is the noise during one of the nights, there's music ongoing for almost the entire night disrupting my sleep (not sure where it's coming from, the hotel shares the building with other shops, with its lobby on the 9th floor and rooms from 10th floor onwards). Otherwise, overall it's pretty good.

Room Tip: Higher floors should be quieter
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This hotel is reasonably priced option, if you want to combaine the stay at the beach with city sightseeing, cleanliness, huge bathroom with spa and they provide very nice breakfast buffet. And also the best location to subway station (5minut walking distance) Haeundae beach is 2minut away from hotel.

If you like a night life you won't be disappointed in that hotel area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

It's not often you travel in Korea in search for good, clean hotel with free wifi. That was what I wanted and I got it for free.
I did rate the cleanliness as just average not because the rooms were not clean...it was. But the lifts leading to the hotel floors were not. It gives the place a dodgy feel when you have cigarette butts and plastics strewn around. But to top it off, there were flies too! The hotel needs to do something about that since the lift itself gives the first impression.
Nonetheless, my deluxe room was clean and large at a very reasonable rate. It had a large flat screen tv and roomy space.
Service was so-so. I had called to book a taxi for my ride back to the airport and was assured during checkout that my taxi was waiting for me downstairs but unfortunately it wasn't (I was not late). But cabs around the area was abundant even at 430am.
Still I would definitely stay again on my next trip. All the positives surpass the negatives in my opinion.

• Stayed: August 2012