“Good location, Cheap, good room, speaks English, helpful”
Review of Elysee Motel

Elysee Motel
Ranked #3 of 561 Busan B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This small hotel or guesthouse offers reasonable rates, a good location, good room, and especially useful for western tourist -- an english speaking host. We took a cab ride from the airport which costs less than $20 US and entered through the garage into small hotel. Its just above the more well known Tower Hotel. The room was fine, a bit old, but maintained well. The heating comes from the floor and we chose to sleep on the tatami on the floor. Koreans must be pretty tough because the floor is hard tile and the tatami is pretty thin so keep that in mind if you go for that type of bedding. Everything was clean and in good order. The floor has hot spots so you have to be careful where you walk as it can get really hot to your feet or body during sleeping. Place had a great shower with jets shooting water from above and the side (if you chose) and included a great steam vent. This was all welcome after many hours of touring in the cold Busan winter. The host gave a map and a basic review of the local area and recommendations for local restaurants, all of which were very useful and accurate. We liked the location which was in a quiet corner of the tourist district with plenty of local restaurants and mini marts etc. within 2 minutes walk and the main shopping and tourist district about 10 minutes walk away. There is a Tom and Tom's Coffee shop if you must have Western style (i.e. chairs and expensive food and drink). We spent 3 quiet and restful nights at Elysee and did not encounter anything negative, except maybe the hotspots on the floor. Based on our last conversation with the host the place is now being renovated (as of Jan 10 2014 or so) so that may affect booking in the short term. While this place is practically invisible from the street, its rooms are tidy and inexpensive. We would return there.

Room Tip: Sleeping on mats on the floor offers warmth but pretty darn hard.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Richard K

Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I were planning a free and easy trip to Busan in winter and we would like to visit Muju Deogyusan Ski Resort. However, I was not able to book for any transport and ski package myself as I sent emails to the ski tour operators/agencies but all of them are not responding or not following up with me(maybe because there are only 2 of us or I wrote the email in English).

So I tried to contact Elysee Motel owner by email. The hotel owner, Mr SON, is very helpful and informative. After I made the booking with him, he sent a lot of information about getting there(by bus/by taxi) and information of bus stops/subway exits around the hotel. He even provided the detail of how to walk from each bus stop/subway exit to the hotel(with pictures for reference).

Most importantly, the owner was so kind that he helped us to book the ski package and brought us to the bus stop where the ski agency bus picked us up at 4:50am in the morning. Eventually we have a nice and smooth trip to ski resort and enjoy skiing and snowing there. Many thanks to Mr SON.

During our stay in Busan, he recommended a few restaurants around the hotel. Good recommendations. And he also provided the detail of how to get to those restaurants from his hotel. I will defnitely stay at Elysee Motel when I visit Busan again.

By the way, his hotel is undergoing renovation now and will be done in mid of April 2014. If you are interested to stay there, contact Mr SON first to confirm whether you are able to stay at his hotel if you are travelling around that period of time.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tansusa3
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Mr Son is extremely helpful in all respects , where to eat, how to get places etc. over and above anything else in Korea. Lovely and kitsch rooms with great hot showers. Great location for going around Busan. Good value for the money and makes a difference to your busan experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rollersons
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Room: Spacious, but old decorated. Or rather the room is quite old.. Sauna installed in each room

Location: Walking distance to Nampo-dong shopping district which its good. Local eateries nearby

Staff: friendly

I'm not too sure if this room is suitable for family. Because you know this is a motel, all my kids accident clicked into adult channel. Else it's still recommended

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Able to check in early (around 11:30am) with no problems. Even though my friend was aware that they only had a double room, they promised to try (but not guarantee) and give us a single foldaway, as my friend and I didn't want to sleep on one bed together. They delivered.

Son, the hotel owner? Was super helpful with a introduction to the main areas of Busan near the motel. Also offered full-coloured print outs on the following:
- BBQ restaurant
- Korean restaurant
- Ginseng Chicken soup restaurant
- Bibimbop
- Coin laundry

The effectiveness is second to none, through a combination of showing a picture of the location (google map street view) + A, B, C instructions PLUS a birds eye image of the map, we could easily navigate to all the places he recommended.

As per other reviews you'll read, the rooms are spacious and has everything, even hair spray and gel. The only thing which I wanted/needed was an iron, but couldn't find it. I'm sure one would be available if needs be.

Son also offered to help us buy KTX (Bullet Train) tickets to Seoul, with a discount too! Great seats chosen as we held bulky baggage.

Would definitely recommend this to all travelers to Busan. Cannot 'like' enough.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChrisL2288
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights. Booked 3 standard rooms directly with Mr.Son through their email. Motel is very central location to the main shopping area and also to Busan Tower. Taxi from airport to here cost about 19,000 Won. Takes about 30 mins. Mr.Son booked for us a van for 35,000 Won when we returned to airport which can take all 6 of us and our baggage. He can also arrange for a day ski trip to Muju ski without any commission. Room is clean and the best part is that my room also has a steam room. Really good on a cold winter day. Has CNN which my mum loves. Free fast wifi in the room. Has water dispenser in the room. Toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, hair cream, etc is also provided in the room. Refrigerator and big screen wide flat TV. It is really value for money. Has many 24 hrs convenience shop where you can buy your stuff from. Would definitely recommend this motel. To find this place, it is just behind Tower Hotel where most taxi drivers will know.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank David_TanPuchong
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed here for 8D7N after reading the reviews online. For me, the most important thing is clean room and great service. Once hotel is booked, Mr. Son will send all details on how to get to his hotel, by train, by bus, or by taxi. He speaks English and that is really a plus point! You can message him on whatsapp or other chat apps on your mobile. He will respond to your query.

Upon arrival, he gives you a map of Busan and shows you how to get to the main attractions. Very, very helpful. He even give us a rough amount on how much should the taxi fare cost from a place to another. There is 2 convenience store nearby, lotsa money changer nearby. Subway station and Lotte Dept Store is about 5 mins walk down the slope. The shopping street is about 10 mins away. Basically, most attractions are nearby. The Busan Tower is right beside the hotel. If you are lost somewhere, give him a call or message, he will guide you there.

My partner's skin was too dry and itchy which he scratch till he bleeds. Mr. Son fetch him with his scooter to the hospital, and came back and fetch me there after that. He came with us to the hospital to see the doctor just incase the language barrier. On another day, we wanted to go to a pottery shop, I got the address and went by taxi. Unfortunately the shop has shifted and we have a tough time communicating with the driver. So, I called up Son, he helped me to search and made a call to the pottery place to get their new address and opening hours n he texted me the new address in Hangul to show to the taxi driver. Seriously, where do you find such great service?!

Oh, before I forget. The deluxe room has jacuzzi, and steam room too. We didn't use the jacuzzi coz it looks a bit old too us, but I use the steam room. Imagine a cold day out and tiring legs, you can just sit there and enjoy the hot steam. You'll have a good nights sleep. Any issues or problem, just notify Son, he will get it fix ASAP!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple