“Excellent Hotel with Excellent Service”

Fairfield Inn Albany University Area
Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is the second or third time I have stayed at this hotel. The reason this time was a funeral, so I reserved a block of rooms for people traveling from out of town. The staff was excellent, and they went out of their way to help with everything we needed - reservation changes, copies of prayers, etc. This was also true of the way they treated all the other guests whom I saw. Note: this is not Marriott level hotel, but Marriott's lower end offering. It's a good value and you get more than you pay for, especially from the staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff and for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to hear that we could be of some assistance during such a difficult time.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I do not ask for much when looking for a place for he night. There are so small things that make a stay worth it. 1 nice towels, this location failed, I could not tell if I had a hand towel or a bath towel. Then the texture was like a tissue paper. They also need to turn the lights on when vacuuming ! The corners have a build up. Over all the rest was tolerable.

The front desk was nice and accommodating.

Again I do not think customers ask for much but will over look lots if the linens are at least like you would have at your own home!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel.

I was sorry to hear that our housekeeping efforts failed to live up to expectations. I share in your disappointment over this important detail and will work with our team to do better in the future.

I am pleased to report that we will begin upgrading our towels next month as part of a new Marriott initiative. Hopefully this will help to clarify any size confusion while improving on texture.

Finally, thank you for your kind words regarding our front desk staff. I hope to have the opportunity to improve your opinion of our hotel on a subsequent visit.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The front desk staff are quite friendly and nice - but other than that this property is rather "blah". The rooms are nothing to write home about - mine on the 3rd floor smells really musty (as does a co-worker's on the 2nd floor). The hotel is near the university and not really within walking distance of anything - not even a Starbucks (unless you have quite a bit of time, then you could walk it).

I would say the free WiFi is the best draw of this location, though really, if you have to dig that deep to find a positive, might it be better to spend the extra $25 to stay in a nice, cleaner, better located property?

Not a great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel.

I was sorry to hear that you and your co-worker encountered an odor issue in your room. This is certainly something that we take very seriously and will address. In addition, I was disappointed to hear that our location was not convenient for your needs. While we ofter hear that our hotel provides convenient access to much of the Capital Region, I can understand that it might not be ideal if you are spending your visit on foot.

Thank you for your kind words about our staff friendliness and our WiFi. They are much appreciated.

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here in the way thru to Boston and was quite pleased with the entire experience. The location was great just right off the I90 by the university of Albany. Front desk staff was great and checkin was easy even without a reservation. The rooms were very nice with multiple pillow choices on the bed for each sleep style (6 on ours). Free breakfast was great with Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches,cerals,yogurts,breads,fruit as you choices. Great overall experience, would definitely recommend

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and for taking the time to write a review of your experience. It is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stay at the Fairfield Inn in Bangor a lot because of a company rate so have been using this chain when traveling . Fairfield Albany met our expectations . Clean ,comfortable room with helpful and fast front desk staff . Air con . kept us nice and cool on a very hot day The hot tub is still down but the indoor pool is nice plus you can use the outdoor pool next door at their sister property . Good location near the University ,malls and downtown Standard free breakfast was fine . The only negative was the fan in the bathroom in 131 was a bit loud and the ceiling looked liked it had water damage at some point and hadn't been fixed very professionally. We paid 109 thur their web site .

Room Tip: Got a good price on their web site but it is the type that you can't cancel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel and for calling our attention to the exhaust fan in room 131. Our maintenance team will take care of that today.

I did want to note that our hot tub is permanently closed and will be removed as part of upcoming renovations.

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay here. I booked through Priceline and got a great deal. The room was decent we had a double bed set up. Parking could be better expecially for vans and trucks, but not a big deal. They have an indoor pool which closes at midnight. The whirlpool is permanently closed FYI. In room amenities could have been better but it was a 1 night stay so I'm not complaining too much. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone coming in the area. They do not accept pets. Property is shared with next door suites.

• Stayed: June 2013

I appreciate your kind words regarding your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Thank you for recommending us to your fellow travelers!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I'm a frequent Marriott traveler and enjoy the consistency that the brand typically has to offer. This is an older building and the cleanliness was just not up to standards - the shower could use some bleach, there was a stray hand towel sitting unfolded on the bathroom counter, and I was just not happy about the quality of the stay. The front desk attendant was polite and efficient and the free breakfast was fine, but this hotel is in major need of an upgrade - and more attentive cleaning procedures.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to time to share your experience with our hotel.

I was disappointed to hear that it did not live up to your expectations, however, especially in regards to our housekeeping service. This is definitely an area that we will focus extra attention on going forward.

We are confident that our upcoming renovations will result in an upgraded product that exceeds your expectations for Fairfield Inn. We look forward to the opportunity to "wow" you in the future.