“Not up to usual standards”

Fairfield Inn Albany University Area
Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Albany
New York City, New York
“Not up to usual standards”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I'm a frequent Marriott traveler and enjoy the consistency that the brand typically has to offer. This is an older building and the cleanliness was just not up to standards - the shower could use some bleach, there was a stray hand towel sitting unfolded on the bathroom counter, and I was just not happy about the quality of the stay. The front desk attendant was polite and efficient and the free breakfast was fine, but this hotel is in major need of an upgrade - and more attentive cleaning procedures.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to time to share your experience with our hotel.

I was disappointed to hear that it did not live up to your expectations, however, especially in regards to our housekeeping service. This is definitely an area that we will focus extra attention on going forward.

We are confident that our upcoming renovations will result in an upgraded product that exceeds your expectations for Fairfield Inn. We look forward to the opportunity to "wow" you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed here a few days ago with my Hubby and the room was nice, clean, and comfortable. The folks at the front desk when we checked-in were not friendly but it wasn't a big deal. All we wanted was a late check out and they gave us an extra hour. There is a lobby and a breakfast room, we didn't try the free breakfast. There is also free wifi. The shower/tub was a little small, okay for me but not so much for my Hubby. The pillows were flat the ac clicked on and off during the night. Otherwise the king bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was nice with a long counter. There was also a comfy chair and foot rest in the room, plenty of light and a desk. This is also a great location!

Room Tip: The third floor is nice and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel.

I was disappointed to hear that our front desk associates did not provide the level of service that we expect of them. In addition, I was sorry to hear about the disappointing aspects of your room experience. We will continue to improve upon these areas.

That said, I appreciate the many kind words that you had for our hotel. I hope that we have the opportunity to host you and your husband again in the near future!
Great Neck, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here, while attending a wedding. The bride picked this hotel as the place for her guests, as friends of hers stay here every time they visit Albany. The hotel was an excellent value. The staff, including front desk, housekeeping, and the breakfast staff, were all friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean with good mattresses and a nicer brand of toiletries than expected at this level of hotel. Breakfast, which is included, has some hot items available along with the continental items. All in all, this is an excellent place to stay, when you are traveling for an event at SUNY, etc., where you basically need a comfortable place to sleep, a convenient breakfast, and helpful staff.

• Stayed May 2013
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor readers. Happy travels!
New York, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I was in Albany for a work trip and decided to pick this hotel because it was close to where I needed to be for work and I got a good price through the United website. I typically choose Hampton Inns for my work trips but figured I would give this hotel a shot.

The hotel itself is in a good location (right off the highway and near SUNY Albany and some restaurants) and the lobby is in pretty good shape. They gave me a few menus when I checked in which I always appreciate and were friendly enough.

The room is not great. It seems pretty old and the bathroom was dingy. The shower definitely needed a good scrubbing and when I went to grab a towel after showering, I saw a nice black curly hair sitting right on the top of the towel. Blech. The bed was not very comfortable and the blankets are super thin so it can get really cold in the middle of the night.

I went to the gym, which was basically just a hotel room with a few machines in it. There were towels left all over the floor and none of the tvs on the machines connected to headphones properly.

Breakfast in the morning was fine, nothing special. I was really surprised to see such great reviews for this hotel so maybe I had a one-off experience here. Regardless though, I will be sticking to the Hampton Inn from now on.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank mgott26
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to expectations. I can understand how frustrating it must be to try a new hotel after reading many positive reviews only to end up disappointed. We take the cleanliness and upkeep of our hotel very seriously and I will be sure to follow through with our team members to make sure that future guests do not have a similar experience.
Pune, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed here for two weeks. Its just off Interstate so if you are traveling out of Albany its a good location. But other than Dunkin donuts there is pretty much nothing around. You have to drive about 4-5 miles for anything that you would need! The place is decent and recently the prices have increased quite sharply! One thing that bothered me was the bright light in the parking lot. If you are on any of the floors facing the parking lot, you will not be able to sleep as the curtains cant be drawn to prevent the bright light from entering your room. I woke up multiple times during the stay thinking its dawn already..but it were just the bright lights. Other than that nothing much to write about. Value for money....paid $135 per night (including taxes), complimentary buffet, and free wifi. No refrigerator or microwave in the room!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have too much light from the parking lot into your bedroom...so avoid these!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ptat14
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
I appreciate your taking the time to review your stay at out hotel.

I am sorry to read that you were bothered by our parking lot lights while you were at our hotel. All of our guestrooms are appointed with blackout curtains in addition to the decorative curtains (which are fixed in the "open" position) and the sheers. Because these curtains are located nearest the window they may not have been apparent. In the past we have left the blackout curtains covering about half of the available window but as a result of recent feedback we have closed them further, leaving about a quarter of the window visible. I hope that this will prevent future guests from feeling a similar frustration.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had reserved one room on a recent trip to Albany, but ended up needing an additional room for our two daughters. No problem, the desk clerk working the early evening shift on 3/21 went out of his way to be helpful. He placed us near each other and made us feel welcome and actually gave us a better rate for each room than what I had received on the initial internet booking. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The only drawback came in the fact that there was no mini refrigerator in our king room, but we used the one the one in the other room, so no big deal. The indoor pool was immaculate, but unfortunately the hot tub was closed. I've stayed in most of the hotels on Washington St. near SUNY, and for the money, this one was worth the stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your kind words. We hope to add refrigerators to all of our rooms in an upcoming renovation but I am happy to hear that at least one of your rooms had one for this stay.

We hope to see you again soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were comfortable at this hotel. It wasn't spotless but it wasn't dirty either. The rooms were decent and they accommodated us with any special requests. When we couldn't get into our room due to the key card devise not working they were very nice and relatively quick to remedy the situation. The pool is kept surprisingly clean as well. We were there for several days on our stay and the only issue we could find is the coffee is not good. We had to go to Dunkin Donuts each morning for coffee. All in all, I can't complain otherwise and we will use them again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany University Area, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us.

I am sorry to hear about the challenge that you encountered with your keys but am happy to hear that it was rectified to your satisfaction.

I am also sorry to hear that our coffee did not meet your expectations. While this is not a common issue that I hear about, I will be sure to investigate to see if there is an opportunity to improve our coffee service. I am glad to hear that the Dunkin Donuts down the street was able to meet your needs during this stay.

We are happy to hear that you will be back. We look forward to your next visit!