“Great hotel, but could be more environmentally friendly”

Hampton Inn Albany-Western Ave/University Area
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Great hotel, but could be more environmentally friendly”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel is spotless, spacious and quiet, with a very friendly staff. My one concern is that the breakfast is served entirely on paper plates and plastic ware. I'm sure the argument to my complaint will be that with the high volume of guests it's not feasible to use and wash dishes, but that's precisely my point: it's actually unconscionable to create such a tremendous amount of waste day in and day out. I urge you to rethink how best to serve your guests and at the same time keep so much unnecessary garbage out of our landfills. When you throw something away, there really is no "away" -- it's much better to reuse actual plates and utensils.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank musician1
ExpressAlbany_NY, General Manager at Hampton Inn Albany-Western Ave/University Area, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your review of your hotel! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Also thank you for your commitment to a better planet. We agree with you and love that you speak out about ways that businesses can improve their operations.

While we do use disposable products in our breakfast bar, it really has little to do with volume and much to do with the feasibility of storing and correctly cleaning the china. This is actually a goal for us to work towards.

In the mean time we are always looking for ways to lessen our carbon foot print.

Currently we participate in a few programs to help us do so. Here are some of the larger initiatives:

Clean the World is an exciting program that collects hotel toiletries and recycles them; providing much needed help to children across the world. for more information-

Conserving for Tomorrow is a linens reuse program that promote water conservation and decreased use of detergent.

IHG Green Engage an IHG an online environmental management platform, that provides us with a roadmap to develop and operate more sustainable practices.

As we move forward to becoming a better environmental citizens we will try to keep all our guests informed!

Kathy Tabora

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Longueuil, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at this location 1 night before taking plane to florida. Close to airport, clean and large bedroom, park stay and fly rate, taxi going and return to airport was included, breafast also provided. 7 days parking included. Was a good choice. Staff were very helpfull

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kool K
Happy to hear that our Park and Fly rate was helpful to you. I am curbing my jealousy over your Florida vacation! :)

Thank you for taking the time post this review. We hope you enjoyed your trip and we look forward to seeing you again sometime!

Quincy, MA
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I liked everything about this hotel. The atmosphere was lovely, the room setup was comfortable and convenient--even an iron and ironing board. And...the staff was outstanding. The staff at reception were friendly and helpful, the young woman working at breakfast was so welcoming and friendly and even found some soy milk for me, and the room cleaner stopped me to ask if everything was ok and whether I was having a good stay. I really liked my experience with this friendly, welcoming hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Muffale
Thank you for such a nice review of your stay with us.

Kim is definitely an asset at the Breakfast Bar, very happy to hear she was able to accommodate the request. She is part of this amazing team I am blessed to work with. I appreciate you giving them such compliments. Although I am delayed in saying thank you to you, we did read this to the staff shortly after it was posted!

Utah
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked 2 rooms for an overnight stay in early July 2013. The hotel is brand new with large rooms and large comfortable beds. Check in was quick and easy, and the breakfast was the best of the 8 different HI properties we booked on our trip. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sanders2of2
A big belated thank you for your review. I will let you in on a secret, we are not brand new, but we keep working on maintaining the hotel so it looks and feels like a new one! We just did some major renovations to stay up to date for our guests!!

Thank you for letting the staff and our owner know all their hard work and investment paid off!

Staten Island, New York, United States
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I went to Albany with a friend and my Mother for a small weekend shopping/tour of the area since my friend is soon to be attending the college of St. Rose. The location of the hotel was perfect, the school is right down the street. It was easy to get to and when we arrived (which was very late after a 3 hour drive from Staten Island) the front desk staff was very friendly. Our room was very clean with lots of charging outlets and Bath and Body works soaps and lotions which was a nice plus. The bed was very comfortable. Other than the loud air conditioner this place was very quiet. In the morning the continental breakfast is amazing with a giant variety of foods to choose from. Eggs, bacon, danishes, pancakes, cereal, oatmeal, toast, muffins, cinnamon buns and fresh fruit just to name a few. Plenty of comfortable seating as well. The Fitness center is very small and was stuffy during my morning workout but that didn't bother me too much. I asked them to put the AC on and they happily did. The pool is small too but can't complain, it's kept very clean. I would definitely stay at this hotel again when I visit Albany.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Alicia M
ExpressAlbany_NY, General Manager at Hampton Inn Albany-Western Ave/University Area, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Can't wait to say welcome back! What a nice review;, thank you for sharing.
We look forward to seeing you again sometime in the future. Hope your friend enjoys their time at St Rose, its a nice college.

Orchard Park, New York
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was conveniently located near major routes, within a couple miles of Tripadvisor's highest rated local restaurants and right by a university and a drive-thru Starbucks: who could ask for more? There was an outdoor area with a few lounge chairs and tables...plus a grill! A large group had a cookout while I was there and it looked like they were enjoying themselves (hogging all the seating, but I didn't mind...got to sit out the previous day). The outdoor area was in a slightly odd location right next to the parking lot, but if cars were parked there already, they gave some privacy. (If cars weren;t there, I'd me nervous about some bozo jumping the curb and running over me.)

This was a quick in-and-out trip, so I didn't explore too much...the pool area looked nice for this type of property.

The breakfast was actually pretty decent, too. I was going to pass on the omelettes, which looked like some sort of frozen thing heated up. But, I knew I wasn't going to have a lot time to eat elsewhere, so I partook. They were quite edible! Pastries were decent; bagles, cereal, pancakes made on site (rather than the ubiquitous waffles...I think the pancake maker serves more, faster), fruit. sausages. muffins, yogurt...really not bad if you just need some food to start your day.

The bed was comfy. It was quiet. And the staff was exceptionally friendly. You had to drive to eat a meal, but not far. There was even a large strip mall just a stone's throw away.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sue K
ExpressAlbany_NY, General Manager at Hampton Inn Albany-Western Ave/University Area, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for the very nice detailed review. The team is working hard and getting though an amazing summer, working hard and smiling the whole time! So nice of you to comment on the results. Incidentally, that Starbucks is chipping away at my daughters college fund ;)

Kathy Tabora

p.s. I'm knocking on wood.....no bozo's on patio so far!!
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My parents, 16 month old daughter and i stayed here for 2 nights on our way to and back from Cape Cod. The service was amazing. The front desk staff is very friendly especially the young man who remembered us on the way back (our keys and check in papers were all ready). The breakfast is delicious and varied. The only complaint was upon checkin in to one of our rooms, we found a bar of soap in the bathroom with a "hair" in it. The rest of the room was very clean but the toilet paper roll hadn't been replenished. If you're on your way to Cape Cod and need a halfway stop, I would recommend this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed July 2013
I have to say a resounding "I'm sorry" here. We have discussed this with our housekeepers. The soap absolutely should be hairless. Plus, toilet paper should be replenished. If you can shoot me an email with the room number it might help us figure out how we missed that!

Given that, we really appreciate your review, very kind of you.