“Good Place to Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
West Haven, Connecticut
“Good Place to Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

This was my first trip to Albany to look at Colleges for my High School Senior. There were many places to choose from but I decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Express. It was centrally located, had a great free breakfast, the staff was friendly and knowledgeable and the rooms were good size and very clean. I also joined their Priority Rewards program because if my child wants to go to school in Albany, I need a place to stay! They even had snacks for you when you check in and snacks/coffee all night long.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ExpressAlbany_NY, General Manager at Hampton Inn Albany-Western Ave/University Area, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We certainly hope your child decides to come to school. It is a great school and we would love for you you keep staying with us! :)

Kathy Tabora

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Paramus, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed for one night on a Friday. The hotel is about 1/4 mile off of the Freeway, and is adjacent to some woods, so there's no traffic noise. I was welcomed by a courteous smile and speedy check in at the front desk. My room on the 4th floor was a king bed with a small sofa bed. The rooms are beautifully appointed with modern decor and subdued pastel colors, similar to the Indigo hotels.

Amenities include: small refrigerator, microwave oven, clock radio with CD player and audio jack (no ipod/iphone connector), iron and iron board, and two bottles of water.

In the bathroom are: Plenty of towels, shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, makeup remover, shoe mitt, two bars of soap, coffee maker and free coffee.

The TV in the room was 32" LCD by LG, which was big enough for the room. The bed was on the soft side of firm, but comfy, and plenty of pillows, each marked as "soft" or "firm" to match your preferences. Hotel has wifi, and it's easy to logon: no annoying nag screen every 24 hours...just find the hotel network from your tool bar and connect. The desk is large and the chair is very comfortable with adjustable height, for working a couple of hours.

The breakfast is standard affair found at most Holiday Inn Express hotels these days. They had their signature cinnamon buns, eggs, bacon, biscuits, a nice choice of cereals, fruits, yogurt, a selection of pastries and breads...pretty much everything you need to fill up. Plenty of newspapers were stacked and the "Den" area was nicely appointed to enjoy your meal. I like how the coffee station was away from the rest of the buffet area, and right by the front desk, so that you can get a quick fill up and avoid the breakfast crowds.

The staff here are so nice...everyone was friendly and attentive. They had a courteous and friendly attitude while maintaining professionalism. Even the front desk staff was helping out to clear tables and change garbage bags in the breakfast area, striking up quick friendly conversation with guests, while making sure that guests were not waiting at the front desk. (It was a busy Saturday morning with lots of families) It's rare to see that these days and I hope they keep up the good job.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rice_Krispies
What an wonderful and detailed review! The staff was overwhelmed by it and made me promise that the" thank you" came from all of them.

So on behalf of the entire team,

Thank you very much!

and we promise to keep doing our best so we can keep up to the expectations we have set for you.

Novate Milanese, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

checked into this hotel for a week long stay for a conference at SUNY and had a few issues, but the staff helped take care of the problems i had. The rooms are pretty standard for holiday inn express, with nice bedding and good AC/Heating. The issues I had were with my Television, and the channels. the TV only seemed to get 7 channels, which I thought was pretty bad for this day and age I mean seriously, prisions probably get more channels!

All in all the hotel is clean and comfortable and I would recommend it for those who are here for 1-3 nights, as there isnt much entertainment in the room as far as TV goes.

Thanks to the staff again for helping me out!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ExpressAlbany_NY, General Manager at Hampton Inn Albany-Western Ave/University Area, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write an honest review and share your experience. I am very sorry that you experienced inconvenience while you were with us, but happy to hear the staff was able to assist.

I also must apologize that we were unable to fix the television. We absolutely do provide more than 7 channels; all told we offer 44! While not a stated mission, we would hope we can provide better television viewing that one might find in prison! I am checking with our staff so we can find out why we were unable to fix that problem during your stay. If you have any further details taht might help me such as room # or date of stay, I can be reached via trip advisor email or at the hotel direct.

Thank you again. Guests such as yourself help us locate and repair that weakest part of our service or amenities so we can keep pushing to provide a great stay for our guests.

Fair Haven, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

After reading all the positive reviews about you, my wife and I have targeted you for our next stay. Our former favorite inn was the Best Western near you which is on its way downhill. We are switching. Too bad you don't have the bar B.W. has. Great place. Add one to your extablishment, please, with lottery options and hire Bob from the 1228 Lounge (BW).

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adrian A
ExpressAlbany_NY, General Manager at Hampton Inn Albany-Western Ave/University Area, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Welcome! We look forward to having you stay with us. If there is anything we can do in advance to make sure your stay is perfect please don't hesitate to let us know. You can even email me directly through TripAdvisor if that is easiest.

OMG, I have to say I LOVE Bob! If we had a bar here I would totally try to poach him! ;)
I used to go in frequently, but then life changed so I did not attend as many events. About two years went by, I walk in and he not only remembered me but remembered what I drank, down to the brand of vodka!
Now THAT is amazing service!

Crawfordville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

The young people and all the staff make you feel right at home. They were the nicest and most friendly people I have ever met the staff at the hotel should be recognized by there company. thak you for a wonderful stay in Albany

Room Tip: Staff will take good care of you
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tom M
ExpressAlbany_NY, General Manager at Hampton Inn Albany-Western Ave/University Area, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the to post a review. We really appreciate them and make sure to share these with the staff. It provids a great pick me up at our morning meeting!

We made sure to recognize all the young people and even us old ones too! :)

Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We felt really special by the personal attention by the staff. Especially Ann Marie who was so helpful, even managed to do a hotel reservation for our onward Journey to NY city. Thank you so much. We felt really at home. Well done!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank NarayananManoj
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. AnnMarie received a copy of this and we shared it with the entire staff.

Wishing you well on your travels adn we hope to see you again some day.

Islip. NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had a recent trip to Albany, New York for work oriented relations and chose the Holiday Inn for my stay, as I have so often in the past. This time is no diffrent from any in the past, clean rooms,nice area, a relativly decent breakfast selection, heated pool and most importantly friendly staff. One staff member in particualr by the name Nick actually came out and shook my hand upon arrivial,it was suprising to see an employee so warm and welcoming. In the future if I ever get a chance to revist the Albany area this would certainly be a top pick.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Stephan G
Thank you very much for your review. The entire staff works very hard at what they do and Nick is truly a shining star among them.

We read your review to the staff and presented Nick with a copy!

Thank you very much for helping us show everyone what a truly fantastic job they are doing.