Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown
Hilton.com
  • Pool
$129
$69
CrestHill Suites Albany(Albany)(Great Value!)
$107
$91
$122
GardenInn.com
$139
  • Breakfast included
$137
$110
All reviewsexpress breakfasttimes union centerfree shuttletrain stationroom was cleancinnamon rollsshuttle servicehudson riverthe hotel offershi expresswalking distancefree breakfastalbany downtownlight sleeperflat screennew yorkpool and hot tub
Reviewed November 25, 2009

I have stayed in this hotel before. It was in march 1994 when it was a Ramada hotel. I remembered the location next to the busterminal very well when I decided to head for Albany again. So I opted for this hotel because I travelled by bus from Boston. But the hotel is also in downtown Albany. They called me when I was in my room to ask me if everything was fine! Next morning I was offered a free shuttle to the Amtrak station. Room very good, altough it was facing a highway so I could hear the traffic. But it didn't affect my sleep. Free wifi is a plus but sometimes slow. Breakfast almost perfect, but orange juice tasted like water. Overall a good hotel!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank A.Brouwer
Reviewed November 9, 2009

This hotel is not terrible unless you are placed in an exterior "highway" or "bus station" facing room.
At least that's what I was told.
I was fortunate enough to be placed on the inside of the hotel facing the interior parking lot. Sounds quite beautiful I know, but at least I had quiet nights.
I wouldn't walk around at nights in the area either, but then again, there's not much going on in Albany after 5 PM to be walking around for...
The hotel itself wasn't bad. The staff was courteous, quick and polite during check in and out. I didn't have much need for them during my stay but they were always smiling- by the middle of my first week there, they knew me by name and used it when ever I was in the lobby or when I left or returned from my day.
The rooms were CLEAN, spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was large and clean with nice towels for a HIE. The TV had some recurring issues with reception on the cable channels that weren't remedied during my 18 days, but I was told it was the satellite service- nothing could be done at the time. My friends in the hotel had the same issues during our stay. Free WiFi was available in the rooms and common spaces. There is no refrigerator or microwave in the rooms but a small "cooler" and a microwave in the lobby to purchase some goods to bring to the room if you desire. Continental breakfast was served everyday but i did not have the opportunity to sample it as I was out every morning before service began.
There is an indoor pool and a fitness center that has an awkward feel about it- glass walls that are in full view of the lobby for everyone to watch as you use it, but so be it- It COULD use some maintenance though. The fitness center is more of a treadmill, a bike and some free weights - better than nothing, but not really a fitness center.
Self service laundry is available in the hotel which was a WONDERFUL convenience being I had an extended stay here. And, despite my mentioning that I wouldn't recommend walking around the area, there is an OUTSTANDING steakhouse directly across the street and a bar with a talented chef 2 blocks away that are well within the safety zone - ;)
I didn't pay for my stay so as far as value, I can't honestly make a statement about the value of this hotel over others in the area (and there are others) but I wasn't unhappy here- Just as long as you get an INSIDE ROOM!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank StuntJo
Reviewed October 14, 2009

We went to this hotel for the conference. I did not expect to have the whirlpool room so we did use the whirlpool every night which was really nice. I was going to use the pool but it was "facing" the lobby due to huge windows so I wasn't comfortable. The staff were wonderful and very helpful. The room was very nice and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was good! If we happen to be in this area...downtown Albany then we will like to use this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2009

We were very pleased with this room for our one night stay.

THE GOOD: This hotel is right in the heart of downtown and easy to find. It obviously didn't start life as a Holiday Inn Express; the public areas are more grand. The clerk working when we arrived was super nice, suggested a great pizza place, called to make sure our room was okay. The room itself, a kind suite, was huge, with a whirlpool tub big enough for three people. The bed was comfortable, as was the fold-out sofa. The best part, though, was the breakfast. They had protein! This is very important for a good start to the day, especially for diabetics, yet most hotels only serve sugar and starch. I was pleased to be offered eggs and sausage as part of the complimentary breakfast.

THE BAD: The free wi-fi is great, but it would be even better if they offered wired connections as well, so we could have a secure connection to check email. I used their business center instead. There was a tiny niche for a closet, no robes, and only one TV.

THE UGLY: The blanket on our bed had a mysterious white substance on it. We simply set it aside as it wasn't needed -- the fluffy duvet was good enough. Our room's window was a few feet from a freeway overpass, so the traffic noise was quite noticable.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2009

My husband was in Albany for a conference so I went along. While there was not much at all to see or do in Albany, the hotel was amazing. We arrived at the Amtrak station and called for a ride, they were there in less than 10 minutes to pick us up!
After checking in we went up to our spacious king room which was beautiful, clean, and tidy. Then we received a phone call from the front desk to make sure everything was okay!
In the morning we had a good breakfast, all you can eat is always good :) Then they provided a free shuttle for my husband to get to his conference. That afternoon I booked the shuttle to meet my husband for dinner but it was not available so they provided a taxi for me! I was blown away that they would do that! (We also got the shuttle to the airport when we were done).
The pool looks nice enough, we never used it, but it also has huge glass windows facing lobby and looked like it would be uncomfortable to swim in.
The staff were amazing, so friendly and personal.
Definately stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business