“My kingdom for a plug”

Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown
Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The staff are very helpful, the location is right in downtown Albany, it's a fine place for the traveling business person, but gosh darn it there's hardly any place to plug in a lap top or cell phone. The hotel is right downtown, very near the waterfront. The walk up to the Capitol is a bit daunting, but for the healthy it's no big deal. All in all it is a fine place. Offers a good breakfast, just about the same as in all other Holiday Inn Expresses. But the big draw back is that there just aren't any electrical outlets in the rooms. In order to just use my lap top and charge my cell phone over night I had to unplug the coffee maker and table lamp. Other hotels have lamps, gang plugs, and other options which provide convenient plugs for these apparatus, but not here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the interior courtyard are a bit quieter than those which face the freeway. Although I hav...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown

Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Pros, location right next to interstate and bus station
Great continental breakfast, clean and comfortable. Didn't use the amenities but they looked decent.
Cons, located right next to the highway and bus station
It's loud and has a weird layout and is in kind of a dilapidated area but walking distance (a few blocks) to downtown restaurants and arena.
It wouldn't be my top choice but I would stay again if everything else was full. Probably best as a stop over place due to closeness to major interstates and bus station.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here for a night, at the beginning of the Labor Day weekend. We drove, and took advantage of the on-site free parking. If you arrive at the airport, or train station, the hotel will send a free shuttle to pick you up. If you arrive by bus, you can walk to the hotel, as it is adjacent to the bus station.

The room was clean and quiet. The mattress was nice and firm. The A/C was strong - and quiet. We slept well. The breakfast buffet is included in the room rate, and includes bacon and eggs.There is an indoor pool and hot tub, but we did not have time to partake of either.

This hotel is a great place to stop over, if you are heading north to Lake George or Canada; or a great place to stay if you have business in Albany, or are going to the track or the orchestra at Saratoga Springs.We will stay here, again, when we are heading north.

I am sorry that an earlier reviewer trashed former Governor Rockafeller. He was a man of great vision. Who among us would not have wanted to live - and die - like Nelson Rockafeller?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
KimDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear CJIMI,
I am happy that you chose our Holiday Inn Express Downtown for your Labor Day layover. Thank you for your review as I appreciate your nice comments. I look forward to seeing you in the near future. Your business is very much appreciated.

Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Excellent HIE with lovely staff. But.
The hotel is not just downtown, it's downatheeltown. Rockerfeller's aerial roadways may have wowed the citizens 50 years ago but they cut the city off from its heart, the river. The city moved up the hill, leaving behind empty shops, bomb-site car parks, the bus station and this hotel. The 12 lanes of roads create too much noise for the double glazing to cope with and you wouldn't want to go walkabout at night. Having said that, the staff will happily transport you to and from anywhere you want to go.
We enjoyed our stay and would happily return but it's as well to be warned what you will find.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Umpalulu
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Times Union Center for a concert we were attending. We got to Albany early and went into the hotel for directions to the venue and, even though we were hours early, were informed our room was ready for check-in. The room was clean and comfortable. It was a short walk to the venue and a short drive to the Crossgates Mall. The only downside was that the jacuzzi in the pool area was out of order and, when we went to use the pool the water was ICE Cold. We were only there for one night so we didn't inform anyone about the pool water. Had we been staying longer we would've brought it to someone's attention. The hotel offers a free continental breakfast, free wi-fi and a shuttle for guests to get around the area. We were only walking 3 blocks but had we needed to get further we certainly would've taken advantage of the free shuttle service. The staff at the front desk was very courteous and if we stay in Albany again we wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul M
KimDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Charliebrown:
Thank you you for taking the time to leave a review on stay with us. I am so pleased that everything was great during your stay. I will make sure we heat up the pool before your next stay! We hope you'll come back soon and visit us.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here the night before we took train to NYC and we were very pleased with the entire hotel. We parked car and left it until our return from NYC with no extra charges. The front desk staff were excellent from recommending restaurant to getting cab. The room was spacious and clean. Perfect for us!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly L
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I just spent the weekend at the HI EX and will be back next weekend,as well. I liked what I experienced. The property is well kept and I particularly enjoyed the employees who want to please you. The room and facilities are just fine with the mattress in the room one of the best I have ever slept on. I like it very firm and was not disappointed. The room was clean and the room staff kept it that way. Front desk folks could not be better. Fitness room is a little sparse, but the included breakfast was fine.
The neighborhood is a bit rundown, but that is not the hotel's fault. At no time did I feel unsafe.
Great price from Priceline.

Room Tip: Rooms and the hallways are quiet. No preferences noted.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family