“Clean, nice, free wireless, parking and breakfast!”

Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown
Ranked #15 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed August 21, 2012

It was getting late on our drive back home and needed a hotel to stay at for the night. Through priceline, we were assigned this hotel. We got in at 9pm on a Saturday night. The property looks new and was very clean. The 2 people at the counter were helpful, answered all our questions and brought us another set of towels right away. Our room was clean and spacious with 2 double beds, a chair and a desk with another chair. We were travelling with children and we needed to eat, front desk kindly gave us food flyers and we ordered from our room (the Chinese restaurant was amazing for the price! I highly recommend it).
Breakfast in the morning was also very nice. Bagels, croissants, muffins, fruits, omelettes, meats, cereals, tea, coffee and juices.
I can't comment on the area because we didn't see much of it but as for the hotel itself, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 15, 2012

The area seemed seedy and I was skeptical about safety while traveling with a child. The location could have been better but once we were on the property a sense of calm prevailed. Only one of the people at reception wore a HI uniform and ID tag. Our room was nice eventhough it faced the highway and the Hudson River. Thought it was going to be noisy but, suprisingly, it was quiet except for the occasional Harley that passed. The breakfast was a fair offering. Staff at Reception was extremely helpful. When asked how to get to a certain restaurant, Laurie printed up a map before our conversation had ended and she even came outside to show me how to leave the tricky (tricky to the navigationally challenged) parking lot. The shuttle bus brought us to The Egg (2 minute drive) for our event. Once we got our bearings, the area was a piece of cake. It was perfect for our purpose in Albany.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Terrible location,
Unsafe surroundings,
Unclean rooms,
Very distant from any activities or shopping centers.

-We were checked into a room that was already occupied and walked in on other guests.
-Not enough parking, ended up having to park my car in an abandoned lot next door with no security.

For a hotel with a trip advisor "excellent service award" on the front desk, this doesn't say much for Trip advisor. You should probably review the rating you gave to this establishment.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MtlWelt
KimDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Albany - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your experience. Many guests are comfortable with our downtown location and feel quite safe in the city. While the governor has not decided on the Convention Center project, our surrounding buildings will remain in their current state, and, unfortunelty, we have no control over that.
I will share with our front desk associates and our housekeeping staff your comments regarding their room choice and the cleanliness of your room. It is our priority to have rooms that are clean and comfortable in which our guests can recharge. We are truly sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.
Thank you again for your comments!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My recent stay at this hotel, which I've frequently stayed at, rates a "luke-warm" okay. The king-bed room was very clean and very quiet. Interestingly, I've been assigned this very room during other stays. A lamp was missing from the room night stand, although I managed without it. The cover plate for the shower handle was loose but did not affect functionality. The sheets were "pilled" and somewhat worn. In the breakfast area, a coffee-stained tablecloth was still there twelve hours later so I picked a different spot instead of a preferred larger "round" table. The free hot and cold breakfast buffet offered similar options to what I've seen before and was fine. Room rates at this spot are reasonable compared to other downtown Albany hotels.

Room Tip: My preference is to be away from the elevated highway along the front of the hotel to reduce traffic...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We chose the HIE for it's proximity to the Lowe's in Glenmont as we were working on a house in Feura Bush. Nice property, helpful staff and a shuttle bus is available for close surrouding areas. On my reservation, I asked for a high room facing away from the highway but received a room on the 2nd floor facing the highway. I was afraid of traffic noise but it never bothered us. However, I may have to request my preferences in person and see how that works. This hotel is nothing fancy but it's nice, updated, clean and the staff is helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were staying in this hotel with our twindaughters of 3 years old. We were very satisfied with the hotel. The location was perfect. We had a room on the side of the highway, but the room was totally free from traffic noise. The staff was very friendly and polite. There is a nice park at the Hudson riverfront and access to the pedestrian bridge is close to the hotel. Albany was actually a very nice place with a couple of restaurants close to the hotel. I don't think the environment is unsafe at all! The breakfast is not very special, but that has something to do with us being from Europe, I guess! We are used to other food.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Literally overlooks the highway noise from the traffic is constant. Rooms ridiculously small. Whole lobby reaks of chlorine. If your life depends on it and your desperate stay here. Otherwise go somewhere else. I tried once I checked in but learned too late. Save yourself the misery.

• Stayed: June 2012