WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Courtyard Albany Airport

Courtyard Albany Airport
Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Nice hotel, ideal location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

If you want a clean, comfortable and conveniently located hotel-then stay here. Right off the highway, near the airport, and steps away to lots of restaurants and shopping. The rooms are adequate and clean. For a quick overnight stay in Albany, this hotel works. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

I travel a lot for work and I am a Marriott Platnium member. I usually avoid staying at the Courtyards because despite the fact they market this as the hotel for "business travelers" it is anytinng but that.

I was running late and called ahead to make sure they knew I would be there. As a frequent traveler I know the later you check in, the chances are you will get the worst room. So I called ahead to let them know I would be checking in later hoping they would assign my room. I checked in at about 10:30pm. No recognition of my Platnium status, no welcome smile. Checked in and was told that for my Platnium status I can receive a free cup of coffee in the morning or an item from the "market" (basically a candy bar). Really , a free cup of coffee in the morning? That's what I get for being Platnium? If I stay at a regular Marriott you get access to the conceirge lounge for breakfast and basicall dinner at night. If I stay at a Residence Inn everyone gets free breakfast. At a Courtyard ..the so called hotel for business travelers you receive nothing..well a free cup of coffee. So much for loyalty. It is just bizare to me that this chain of the Marriott brand hotel markets the business travlers and the most loyal business travelers, staying over 75 nights a year at Marriott brands, you receive nothing but a cup of coffee.

I think I stay at a Courtyard every couple of years and then I am reminded why I don't stay at Courtyard hotels.

This hotel is old and outdated. After checking in I knew that my room would be the worst of the hotel despite calling ahead and despite being a Platnium member. Sure enough, I walked the long hallway down to a small corner room that was freezing with the heat not working correctly. Outdated bathrooms, carpet and old beds.

The person who checked me in could was not necessarily rude but just not very friendly.

I was immediately sorry I book a room here. For that matter, sorry I booked a room at the Courtyard.

No paper delivered to my door, no breakfast but hey for your Platnium status we will give you a free cup of coffee !! She didn't even offer me the points which I thought was standard.

I would never stay here again and I will never stay at a Courtyard again. Just find it very bizare that a hotel that markets to the frequent business travelrs does not recognize them.

I really need to rethink my whole Marriott loyalty. Maybe it's time to switch brands.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any "good" rooms here.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Tina R, General Manager at Courtyard Albany Airport, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your feedback. It allows us to share with our staff what our guests think of our hotel and also helps other travelers make decisions about where they want to stay. I want to sincerely apologize and let you know we are always looking for ways to provide better service for our guests and have taken your comments into consideration for further improvement. We strive to offer excellent service for all our guests and I am sorry that we fell short of that expectation. We appreciate your loyalty as a Platinum member and wanted to let you know that starting March 3rd of 2014 not only do Platinum Members receive a Market item or Starbucks beverage but this is in addition to 400 points which is automatic upon check in. Again, I apologize if this was not communicated properly by our staff. Thank you for your feedback and I hope we will get the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a few days on business. This courtyard is located in a prime location for shopping and eating and is very close to the airport property but just far enough to avoid the noise of planes or traffic.The only downside was there was a small cafe in the lobby so free breakfast isnt there.. it appeared by the setup even coffee required payment. The rooms were we kept, staff was friendly, pool, weight room and the wifi was good. I would surely stay here again when in the area.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

We were very pleasantly surprised (and happy) with this hotel. We got a great deal on the price (we'd booked about four months in advance and paid for it) and paid less than $100 during the Christmas holidays. The staff was pleasant when we arrived late -- and even helped us with amenities (toothbrushes/toothpaste) after some lost luggage with a smile and sympathy. The bed was very comfortable and my husband couldn't stop talking about how comfortable the pillows were. All in all, we were impressed and happy with our choice and -- if we arrive into ALB late again -- we are likely to be back if we can get the same rate.

There were only a few downsides (only two of which were under their control). First, the location of the toilet was very poorly executed. There was literally 2 inches between the front of the toilet boil and where the door is. So don't even think about closing the door while you're sitting down. Second, we arrived at 10:50pm and didn't have our luggage, which meant we arrived after the last free shuttle went to the hotel (11pm). So we ended up just renting a car a bit early. Third, we had the misfortune to be there when a group of high schoolers were there and they were very loud running up and down the hall. But once they went to bed, the insulation in the rooms was okay. The front desk was also apologetic about this when we left.

Overall -- a big thumbs up.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Stamford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Stayed here on business. Average Courtyard. You know what you are getting here. Would have rather stayed in Marriott across street, but they were booked. The room was very clean, and the furniture was in in very good shape. The lobby is very nice as well. Nice chairs to work in, as well as a great bar with beer/wine, and light snacks. Great for if you do not want to leave the hotel. There are a couple very good places to eat right across the street. One is the Macaroni Grill, and the other is a Seafood place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Nice Courtyard near lots of eating options. Front desk staff was cheerful, helpful and efficient. Room was clean and up-to-date and in-room ventilation was also very good. Was here for only one night after a long 4 hour drive and had a good nights rest and productive work session.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Destin, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

My son wanted to treat me to a special night at this hotel while on a trip together to NY...he had spent his last money on this room and we looked forward to a fabulous experience. The room was over $200 for one night. I asked for a senior discount and was told it would be $169. When the bill came, it was $194.66. Wish they had told me the REAL price sooner. The clerk was not friendly, no smile. After entering the room, we called for a wake-up call...no answer. Then tried the front desk number, no answer. This was at 9:45 pm. We had to set the clock alarm. I got up the next day and went down for coffee and a little breakfast and was told it was not included with the room because I had a special rate. I'LL SAY!!! I spoke to the manager and he had no apology, not even a coffee to offer me. The night before I stayed in a Quality Inn for $59 and had coffee, a Danish and a banana that was free for all guests. They even had waffles and eggs. I will never stay at a Marriott again, and would encourage others to avoid them...the name no longer means an upscale experience. Also, the coverlet on my bed smelled like dirty laundry...I told the manager and he did not apologize, just looked surprised and said he'd tell the maid.

Room Tip: Pick one in another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family