“worst place ever”

Red Carpet Inn Albany Downtown
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed June 22, 2013

this place is the most nasty place i been to. the guy at the front desk is rude n he tryedd to keep my change n i checked out ten mins after i checked in n they made me pay for a whole day n wen i asked to talk to a manger they thrend to call the cops n have me arrested. my rating of this place wouldnt even be on the board bc it was so low

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My fiancé & I booked this hotel a half a week in advance for our trip to Albany, so the price was lower than the daily average. Upon arrival, the place didn't look the best, and I was expecting a run downed room. But I was delightfully surprised by the inside. The room was on the larger size, & same for the bathroom. The counter space by the sink was minimal, but it worked for the couple nights we were staying. The tub was large enough for a curvy gal like myself to take a nice hot bath in. There were menus in the room, which was a perk, & the food was delivered right to the room.
We did have a couple negatives, as expected for the price range. TV was pretty small & the pillows were pretty flat. But the largest negative was that the grounds were littered with trash; which all night long the wind was tossing around plastic cups that echoed threw the parking lot. Me being a light sleeper, it was not a restful stay. Despite the bad, the room was the cheapest in town, so I know I fully got my moneys worth.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sanjiv P, Manager at Red Carpet Inn Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Red Carpet Inn for your stay in Albany. I'm glad you were happy with the room and were able to enjoy the bathtub. I do apologize for the trash and plastic cups that the wind was blowing around the property. The open layout of the rooms coupled with the property being on a hill sometimes causes the wind to stir quite strongly, and in general we've been dealing with a windy spring season. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the capital region.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here on a few occasions. The location is adequate, the rooms I've had have always been clean and well-maintained, and the staff (well, the one guy who always seems to be manning the front desk) is courteous, friendly, attentive, and helpful. This place is far from the Ritz, but it's a fine little spot to crash while you find yourself in Albany. For the low price it's impossible to go wrong here. The Red Carpet Inn is my destination of choice every time I'm in the Albany area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Sanjiv P, Manager at Red Carpet Inn Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm glad you were satisfied with your accomodations, and if there is anything else we can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to inform us.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed just one night to be close to the airport. Person checking in just before me was charged $10 less, told for the $55 rate he would get a recently renovated room. Well, I paid the $55 plus tax/fees and expected the renovated room. Instead we got a room with buckling ceilings that we thought were going to cave in during the rain that night, a hole in the bathroom door, bugs crawling on the wall early the next morning, peeling paint on woodwork, and definitely not clean. We then had to call the desk for restaurant info as my husband wanted Chinese delivered. The clerk recommended a place, gave us the number, we called and it took 45 minutes for the worst food ever to be delivered. Thats a different review though. I took pictures of the bulging ceiling and the bugs on the wall. Was not worth the money for even one night but unfortunately it was late and I had a very early flight the next morning. Told my husband that next time we would be better off just sleeping in the car! I didn't expect top of the line for $62.70 (total w/tax/fees), but I at least expected clean!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all! Prices are inconsistent and rooms are unsafe & not clean!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sanjiv P, Manager at Red Carpet Inn Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay. The particular room you had, despite the newer bathroom and furniture, did have the older style tile ceiling. There are however no leaks in the room at all. We would have attempted to move your room if we had notification at the front desk of your concerns. I spoke directly with the clerk who attended to you, and the Chinese restaurant number he gave you was indeed a respected, full service restaurant and not just a delivery-only style restaurant. Again, it is our goal to work with you to ensure a pleasant stay, and would have attampted to do so if given the opportunity.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Ok, so you get what you pay for. I totally get it.

Cheap - yes.

Sketchy - oh yes.

I've had my share of hotel stays, but this is the very first hotel where I was compelled to sleep with extra-large scissors right by my pillow.

Immediately upon entering the Inn, I breathed in smokey air. I imagined that this was how it must smell like when the smoke area's of Atlantic City casino's are emptied out. The man behind the check-in desk was creepy - he made me uncomfortable - very quiet straight face with the slightest hint of a smirk and looking right at you - like deep eye contact-at-you. Got my room key and walked into a room which also smelled smokey and absolutely musty. Yeah, I could have reported that to the front desk, however when I called the front desk and asked the same man if he had utensils b/c my mother wanted to eat, he had replied, yes, it's in my pocket. Omg, gross and pervy and no, I'm not even joking. Yeah, he was probably only a 70yr old man, but he creeped the hell out of me enough to keep a scissor by my bed - that and the strange "storage" unit the size of a trailer right across my door and pick-up truck parked slanted across two parking spots next to it....my imagination ran wild of all the Jason and Psycho movies I used to see when younger.

Other than that, the room had it's basics. My bed was comfortable enough though the other bed sank low on one side. They did also have a clean refrigerator and microwave as well. The tub and sink were not moldy, but clean - however the shower curtain did have that wet gym clothes smell. The bedding - miraculously they looked clean, however they also had absorbed the smelly must that was in the room.

Check out was better - there was a kind old lady who was prepping the coffee station.

It's a great deal if you're looking for just a place to sleep - but would not recommend as the inn lacked quality air. Extremely musty. The service - I just asked for utensils, which I had to go to the front desk to get from an older man who left me questioning if he was trying to be funny or inappropriate. Oh, and a detail worth mentioning - they obviously have that turn-lock inside locking the doors, but there was no latch....

But yeah, next time, I'm shelling out even an extra $200 if I have to.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Sanjiv P, Manager at Red Carpet Inn Albany Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for your review and feedback. We strive to keep our guests happy, and these reviews help us in doing so. Just to put your mind at ease concerning some of the things you've mentioned, the fellow who was working at the desk upon your arrival is a long time employee with whom we have had no similar comlaints or comments. He works different shifts and may have been a little tired at the time of your late arrival. Also, the mini storage is currently being used to hold new furniture as we install it in the rooms, and the truck is parked diagonally taking 2 spots in front of it in order to keep guest cars from parking directly in front of its doors. I will look into the smokey smell you mentioned, and can assure you that the "vibe" you got was some sort of miscommunication or misunderstandng between you and the desk clerk. If you however feel differently, please call me directly at our property phone number so we can discuss your concerns. I'm glad you were satisfied with our new bathroom, and able to take advantage of the fridge and microwave.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Fairly reasonable rates for weekly and longer-term stays. Average nightly rates. Does have some discounts for AAA, senior citizens, and non-weekends. LOUD neighbors, taxi drivers stay here?, as the walls are thin and you can hear evrything and I do mean everything. There was no radio, alarm clock, or dryer. Interesting wall paintings. Large mirror in bathroom. Bed is rock hard. Lots of free parking. I like that it is close to everything- gas, food, downtown, library, and lots of stores. My
Room could have used a good cleaning - the floor/rug was very damp and does not dry up. Maybe it's the a/c or fridge leaking, as I have no idea. Light over bed does not work as the plug looks like it was cut-off. No light in the shower.
The free shampoo/conditioner, ice, couple of nice touches. Phone in room.
I could have use a small desk, and a free outlet or two in the room to power up a cell phone.
Not sure why they would put a family? with lots of kids? on top of me? (2nd floor). What's with the pounding until 1 am?
TV remote could use an upgrade and a new battery. Adult channels would have been a nice option.
Lots of free maps and menus in the lobby. Friendly check-in person and helpful, too.
Smell of smoke ( cigs and dope?) in the hallway is scary esp at night. had to use frebreeze out there.
Overall, I guess you get way you pay for.

Room Tip: I didn't rate swimming pool - i didn't see one. but, the gazebo looks nice in the back. ser...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dranon
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I'm writing form this hotel using the free wifi. King size bed, clean sheets, unexpected microwave and refrigerator. Larger than expected bathroom. Basic motel room. No complaints. Park at the door for easy unloading. It is a "non smoking room" though it had clearly been smoked in at some time.and there was a faint oder fo the spray used to cover it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jroihl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albany
Ramada Plaza Albany
Ramada Plaza Albany
#36 of 50 in Albany
Comfort Inn Albany / Glenmont
Cocca's Inns & Suites Albany Airport
Travelodge Inn and Suites Albany
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown
Red Roof Inn Albany Airport

Been to Red Carpet Inn Albany Downtown? Share your experiences!