“Very mediocre Marriott”

Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Albany
USA
“Very mediocre Marriott”
Reviewed July 25, 2007

Had a two night stay at the Albany Marriott. Very mediocre hotel in need of some serious updating.

The good: The staff for the most part was reasonably friendly. They also have a free shuttle from the Airport which was very nice. The bed was reasonably comfortable.

The bad: Where to start. The room I had was in pretty mediocre shape. Some mold in the shower and some wallpaper falling off the walls. Not the worst hotel i've ever stayed in, but definitely not up to Marriott standards I am used to. My room had two double beds. One set of sheets had some large stains on it. The other did not. The shower in the room was the worst shower I have experienced in years. Very bad water pressure. Took ages to shower, though ample hot water.

The food at the hotel I ordered from roomservice was the worst I have ever eaten at a hotel. The eggs were inedible. The hashbrowns were cold and soggy in the middle. If you stay here, skip the room service.

Plus the hotel has no wireless in the rooms, only wired internet - and they charge you $10 a day for it.

If you need to stay in Albany, I would not put this hotel on the top of my list. There are a few brand new hotels in town and better hotels near the Airport.

Stayed July 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Stayed one night. The staff is professional and unbelievably helpful and nonplussed by crowds. Our phone reservationist was especially resourceful in getting us an early check-in. We had surprisingly wonderful food, beautifully presented, served at the bar (Thai dumplings, barbequed chicken quesadillas), and the night-shift bartender was knowledgable and attentive. In the morning, despite the huge breakfast buffet crowd, the waitstaff for our large party was unflinchingly courteous and efficient. Amazing service. (This hotel should not to be confused with the Courtyard by Marriott right across the street). Only one downside: no in-room safe.

• Liked — professional staff, pool/whirlpool and excellent food/bar
  • Disliked — no in-room safe
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
New York, NY
Reviewed July 16, 2007

I like this Marriott. The property is older and the lobby is totally boring, but the rooms are renovated and the beds are quite comfy. However, it's pretty expensive as far as Marriotts go - I've never stayed here for less than $150, and I don't think it's worth that much. I'll stay again when the rates are a little better.

Stayed August 2006
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2007

I stayed at the Marriott over a weekend, so arrived on a Saturday afternoon, and departed Monday morning for parts west.

There were lots of graduations in town that weekend, so the hotel was pretty fully booked, and they were busy while I was there. But the desk clerk handles my checkin quite smoothly. Before heading up to my room, I checked with him to make sure that the room was not too far from the elevator. He checked, and needed to re-assign me to a different room. I'd put in a comment on the website when I booked, but it had been cut off.

So I got to the room (826), which overlooked the back of the hotel (and the still green pool). The bed was nice and firm, and the toiletries are Bath and Body Works, with a pleasant orange ginger scent. The arrangement of the room was good as well.

I tried the restaurant my first morning and room service the next, and found the eggs benedict and coffee to be of good quality and heated enough both days.

There is also a little shop in the lobby that makes Starbucks coffee and sells sundries, paperbacks, local maps, and sweets. This came in really handy for me when I was in a hurry, needed a coffee, and didn't want to stop again somewhere else.

My only problems were technical ones. I could not get the internet to work until the 2nd evening I was there. I'm a technical writer by trade, so am not a dummy, but it took some doing to get hooked up. You have a choice of 2 different types of cables, and I couldn't get either of them to work for some time. Eventually, it connected. But I get very cranky with no internet.

Also, my BIG gripe was the TV. When I went to flick it on ON the box, I noticed that the Power button was completely depressed into the button cavity and was loose and floating around in there. So I had to turn the set on with the remote. However, the loose connection in the set caused a buzzing which made me have to hike the volume up to hear the program.

I reported the problem with the TV my 2nd day, and they immediately sent an engineering person up to check it out, but I told him they were going to need to replace the set. He seemed to agree when he looked at it. I told him not to worry about it, since I was checking out in the morning-- just to replace it for the next guest. He said OK.

So management is aware of the problem. If you check into 826, and the TV is fixed, you'll know the hotel cares about its guests. If the crummmy TV is still there, you'll know there is an issue with dealing with guest complaints.

You're right near a lot in this location. Just outside the hotel driveway across the street is an Olive Garden, a Red Lobster and a Burger King.

If you go out the main driveway and turn left onto Wolf Road, you have lots of other options for shopping and dining. There is a Macaroni Grill on the left, and a Borders and a mall further down, also on the left.

I had a delicious dinner at the Barnsider Restaurant on Sand Creek Road. Turn out the hotel drive and make a left on Wolf, then a right on Sand Creek.

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank miselainis
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I only stayed one night in this place, but it was quite comfortable.
The staff people were friendly and efficient and very helpful. They let me check into my room early with no problem. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was quiet. The AC was kind of noisy, but I fell into a deep sleep, so that all worked out fine. About the only negative was that the bathroom. The grouting was moldy and needed to be replaced. And the bathroom door was literally separating because of the bathroom moisture. But these things are minor in my mind. I would stay here again, no question. The bed was much more comfortable than Holiday Inn which is up the road.

• Liked — The friendly, efficient staff is their best attribute
  • Disliked — The bathroom was moldy, and in need of repair
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank TheCat751
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2007

Im a Marriott Silver Elite memeber, and this was a very horrible experience. The room and building were VERY rundown, and as I sit in my room, I must let others know. The bathrooms are very outdated and not clean in my opinion, brown stains around the toilet seat cover, mildew in the tub, outdated bathroom hardware, also VERY small. Furniture is very outdated, uncomfortable desk chair. The A/C ran very loud, and only on high cyle, and was dirty. Even the placard on the back of the door had grease stains, and a magic marker spot indicated where your room was located, there were no hotel room pricing that is usually on the back of the door. The "At Your Service" button on the phone just rang and rang, until someone from the bar picked up, and said I should just dial "0". I arrived at 3pm, at was given a room facing the green pool that had a LOUD generator running non stop until I finally called, and they shut it off around 6pm(they were pumpiinig the nasty water out of the pool). For Marriott, this was NOT up to standards..I will of course continue to book with marriott, but not this one when in Albany.

• Liked — It was a mile from my office
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, Furniture/Amenities, very old and outdated.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank tampan
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed March 18, 2007

We spent two nights here for a family event. The hotel is updated, clean and very comfortable. I would like to remark on the service of the staff which was quite excellent. I have never commented on bell service before but this was the very best service by a bellman-- quick, informative, friendly and respectful -- I have received in a long time. The front desk service was also excellent in arranging a 4am shuttle to the airport. Our party used a "hospitality suite" and that also was excellent.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family