“Not very restful”

Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Not very restful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2010

First impressions of the Albany Marriott were favourable: very large room (two double beds) coffee machine, friendly staff...

However my stay was marred by the INCREDIBLY NOISY aircon which woke me up every time it came on during the night. In addition the coffee machine produced the most vile coffee I have ever tasted, infact I'm not sure it was coffee at all.

There were a few things that were good, such as a proper hair dryer and a newspaper on one of the two mornings I was there but other irritants such as the mirror being positioned so high on the wall that when you sit down you can't use it. So hair drying must be done standing up. And 24 hour internet access was $13.95. WHEN are hotels going to stop charging for internet, it's outrageous.

On the whole it was ok but I would have been unhappy if I'd stayed for leisure.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Wheeker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2010

I stayed in the Marriot this past weekend for one night. The parking is ok, a little crowded when there are events. The staff is quite friendly and helpful. The room was quite large, but not as clean as I would have wished. When I first walked into the bathroom I noticed hair in the sink. Faucet was dirty and speckled with toothpaste. The shampoo that hotels provide gratis was clearly used. I called the front desk and a house keeper came up to clean the sink again, when she left, there was still toothpaste on the faucet so I bought cleaner and cleaned it myself. There was also hair in the tub, pretty disgusting.

The bed was quite comfortable and the desk was huge. I was disappointed that we had to pay so much to use the internet, most places I stay provide wireless internet for free. The fitness center was GREAT! Large, plenty of machines, free weights and and a nice pool too. The restaurant was expensive but the hotel is surrounded with reasonably priced places to eat, Olive Garden & Red Lobster are right across the street. The hotel is right down the street from 87 so it is convenient to get to.

I don't know if I would stay here again, I think I would try one of the many other hotels in the area. I hate strange hair, but if you aren't easily skeeved like me, you might like it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank taraj65
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

Was staying at this hotel for a 2 day convention- ordinarly stay when in Albany at the Courtyard across the street, but the room was part of a meeting discount, and would be getting more Marriott points, so I booked it.

Day one of the convention, left room 7:30am, came back 7:30pm. Loose change I had placed on the bureau holding the TV was gone. Took that in stride, at least until I went to bed.

The bedcover was neat as a pin when I came back, but when I pulled it down to go to sleep, found the sheets had not been straightened out, but had essentially been left unmade under the bedcover.

Reported both to the front desk last day of my stay. "BeBe" was shocked and appropriately chagrinned. However, i supect that this is not the first time such shenanigans had occured.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DOTDude
Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2010

I had to attend a few seminars for school in early February. Really nice hotel. They did an EXCELLENT job with the food, great lunch and dinner and a pretty good continental breakfast. Great variety and plenty of vegetable options. Conference rooms were nice and well set up, but either boiling hot or cold. They had trouble regulating the temperature; I noticed this even when I’ve been to conferences in other hotels. Wireless is not free I paid for it in my room but it didn’t work in the conference room area. Attentive front desk, they called a cab for me which came immediately. Checking in was a little annoying I found a cheaper rate on hotels.com, it took 20 minutes for them to find my reservation because I didn’t go through the hotel website. The room was very nice, the only problem was the door was difficult to open, the door handle would stick a bit. Would stay here again but will deal with not using the internet, not worth the price.

Chittenango NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

I attended the Empire State Tourism conference at this property in 2010. From the time I checked in to the time I left the staff was friendly, gracious, helpful and a joy to interact with. When we needed help setting up or tearing down, or ice for the hospitality suite, or an extra garbage can it was available almost immediately. I would highly recommend this property to anyone planning a meeting in the Albany area.

New York Hudson Valley Region
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

This hotel is as lovely as you'd expect a Marriott to be and all the staff was warm and welcoming from the front desk clerk to people I'd pass in the hall. The room was clean and comfortable BUT... no free wireless anywhere even in the business center. Come on, Marriott, every hotel offers this today. This was an unexpected charged that really upset me. With so many other first-class hotels within two miles of this one, I certainly won't be returning.

Haverhill, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2009

I stayed at the Albany Marriott over the weekend. I was waiting my turn to check in, and the hotel desk attendant called for the next person in line. I walked up to the desk, and she says, "I'm sorry, but I think that gentleman over there (not in the line) is next." I'm slightly stunned, but say, ok....and she proceeds to ask the man in she can help him. He responds that he arrived after me, and she checks me in.

I had booked my room back in June through the Marriott site for parents weekend at a local college. I had requested a king size bed, because I am very tall, sleep on my stomach, and my feet hang off the end of a regular sized bed. I had my confirmation with me on my iPhone. The woman proceeded to tell me that she could not give me a room with a king sized bed because she has to save them for people who are rewards members (I am) and who requested a king bed (I did). She said there was no way she could give me a king-room for 2 nights. She kept reiterating that her reservation in the system had no request for a king bed, and she can only do what the system tells her.
So, I took the double room as I had no option at that point.

There is parking outside the lobby for check-in which is clearly marked that there is a 15 minute time limit. We had to park in the garage to check-in because the lobby lot was full. Many of the same cars were there several hours later. I guess it's ok to park near the lobby and disregard the signs if you wish.

My room was clean. The bed was comfortable. The pillows are awesome! However, as others have noted, the rooms were very noisy. The person in the room next to me was talking on the phone for over an hour, and I heard the entire conversation clearly through the adjoining doors. I turned up my tv so I didn't have to listen to the conversation. I also heard the neighbors get up in the morning, discuss their plans for the day, and argue about what clothes to wear.

Our room was cleaned after our day of excursions, but the cleaning people didn't leave any soap, shampoo, conditioner, or toilet paper. At 11 pm, I had to call to ask for these things to be delivered, most notably needing the toilet paper.

We did use the bar to bring a glass of wine to the room. The glass of wine was very small, and for the house wine of Pinot Grigio, it cost $8.50...with tip, it cost $20 for 2 glasses of wine. Kind of nutty.

You have to pay for the internet, even the wireless. I wanted to use my iPhone on the wireless network, but chose not to pay.

There was 1 cup of coffee in the coffee maker for the room. No free coffee at this place! With all the bells and whistles, in addition to the higher cost, you think you would get free coffee.

I have stayed in the Troy/Albany area several times. Although Marriott has a reputable name, this was one of my least favorite yet more expensive stays. I would pursue other options.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple