“No Free Wireless!”

Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Albany
New York Hudson Valley Region
“No Free Wireless!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

This hotel is as lovely as you'd expect a Marriott to be and all the staff was warm and welcoming from the front desk clerk to people I'd pass in the hall. The room was clean and comfortable BUT... no free wireless anywhere even in the business center. Come on, Marriott, every hotel offers this today. This was an unexpected charged that really upset me. With so many other first-class hotels within two miles of this one, I certainly won't be returning.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Haverhill, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2009

I stayed at the Albany Marriott over the weekend. I was waiting my turn to check in, and the hotel desk attendant called for the next person in line. I walked up to the desk, and she says, "I'm sorry, but I think that gentleman over there (not in the line) is next." I'm slightly stunned, but say, ok....and she proceeds to ask the man in she can help him. He responds that he arrived after me, and she checks me in.

I had booked my room back in June through the Marriott site for parents weekend at a local college. I had requested a king size bed, because I am very tall, sleep on my stomach, and my feet hang off the end of a regular sized bed. I had my confirmation with me on my iPhone. The woman proceeded to tell me that she could not give me a room with a king sized bed because she has to save them for people who are rewards members (I am) and who requested a king bed (I did). She said there was no way she could give me a king-room for 2 nights. She kept reiterating that her reservation in the system had no request for a king bed, and she can only do what the system tells her.
So, I took the double room as I had no option at that point.

There is parking outside the lobby for check-in which is clearly marked that there is a 15 minute time limit. We had to park in the garage to check-in because the lobby lot was full. Many of the same cars were there several hours later. I guess it's ok to park near the lobby and disregard the signs if you wish.

My room was clean. The bed was comfortable. The pillows are awesome! However, as others have noted, the rooms were very noisy. The person in the room next to me was talking on the phone for over an hour, and I heard the entire conversation clearly through the adjoining doors. I turned up my tv so I didn't have to listen to the conversation. I also heard the neighbors get up in the morning, discuss their plans for the day, and argue about what clothes to wear.

Our room was cleaned after our day of excursions, but the cleaning people didn't leave any soap, shampoo, conditioner, or toilet paper. At 11 pm, I had to call to ask for these things to be delivered, most notably needing the toilet paper.

We did use the bar to bring a glass of wine to the room. The glass of wine was very small, and for the house wine of Pinot Grigio, it cost $8.50...with tip, it cost $20 for 2 glasses of wine. Kind of nutty.

You have to pay for the internet, even the wireless. I wanted to use my iPhone on the wireless network, but chose not to pay.

There was 1 cup of coffee in the coffee maker for the room. No free coffee at this place! With all the bells and whistles, in addition to the higher cost, you think you would get free coffee.

I have stayed in the Troy/Albany area several times. Although Marriott has a reputable name, this was one of my least favorite yet more expensive stays. I would pursue other options.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flade
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

Room was obviously not yet renovated, hence the cheap price. No Problems though...just dated. Bedding was quite nice. Service as always top notch. One of the better places to stay in Albany.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2009

I was travelling with a very good friend, and we booked two rooms at the Marriott in Albany.
And I must say that everything about this hotel was satisfactory, and I would have given it a 4 star rating had it not been for a couple of issues.
First and foremost, there is an infurating problem found in some badly managed hotels called -The cleaning staff does not know how to read a 'do not disturb sign'-
My friend who was staying on the fourth floor had to put up with a loud conversation from the cleanning staff, just outside his room, with great outbursts of laughter , at around 8 a.m. on a saturday. He told them to please be quiet, pointing out that he had put up his 'do not disturb sign', which, with some common sense indicated his presence in the room. Those merry members of staff did walk away, only to return a little later to carry on the conversation where they had left it, with similar brio.
Now I was on the fith floor, and my 'do not disturb sign' proved to be equallly transparent, as a cleaning lady swung my door open the next morning, with the finesse of a rugby player. Not even a knock on the door, just -Bang-Crash-HELLOO HOUSEKEEPING!!
So it is interesting to ponder on just why we have those 'do not disturb signs'.
My guess is that the sooner the rooms are done, the sooner those who clean them are out.
Well, that's something guests should not have to put up with in my view.
To be fair, we have addresed these issues with the management, who seemed genuinly concerned and even offered us a complementary meal in their restaurant.
The only other problem had been various mix-ups at check-in which took almost half an hour to complet, even though we had our fully paid reservations, with all the references printed out. It really should not have taken so long.
Having said all that, the Marriott at the weekend rate of 103 dollars, booked via an internet travel site, proved good value as the rooms were very clean and roomy, tastefully furnished, with a nice big bed with six pillows and good quality bedding. Plenty of towels too. The rooms we had were on opposit ends, and were both quiet enough to sleep with the window open should you wish. A good tea/coffee making machine was a plus, and so was the big flat screen TV.
So yes, despite what really is down to management problems, it is overall a good hotel, and if you are in the area, I would totally recomend it.
Perhaps the answer would be to bring your own doorstop and some earplugs.. just an idea.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank travellingKoalas
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2009

We stayed at the marriott this past weeeknd. It has clearly had a nice face lift in the rooms. It has a nice fitness facility and a spacious lobby- but flat screen tv's without HD (same in the rooms- only 3 stations were HD)
The beds were comfortable, room well appointed. However the shower had no water pressure and if you turned the water up for more volume you only got scalding hot water.
The staff was not very professional- took forever for a very simple check in. One other thing I could not believe was that they charge you for internet access, either in your room or in the business center- unacceptable in this day and age. Although the rates were reasonable, I would llok for another place next time.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights in August as my husband was on business in the area and I came with him. I had a lot of free time so used the room and facilities more than usual.
This Marriott is an older building, but the reception areas and rooms have been renovated. The price would probably be higher if it was a newer Marriott. Our room was on the 8th floor (the top). We experienced a persistent rumbling noise maybe from generators a/c machines during the night. Didn't sleep much at all. The bed and linens were very comfy. The bathroom was small with not much space to put toiletries. We had a fridge in the room which I find very convenient. We paid for the concierge room which I loved. My husband used it for a quick takeaway drink and snack as he was leaving before 7am each morning and had no time for a full breakfast. They have breakfast and hot and cold snacks at 5:30pm, with drinks supplied throughout the day. The concierge lady on the daytime shift was wonderfully friendly and helpful.
There are outside and inside pools, had a great time relaxing by the pool.
Pros: I liked the spacious reception, the outdoor pool, the concierge room and concierge staff. It is close by a reasonably sized shopping mall and loads of chain restaurants. There is loads of parking, some of it covered.
Cons: The WiFi was down the whole of our stay. Whilst these things sometimes happen, the reception was uninterested and unhelpful when I called to ask why I couldn't connect. Desk staff need to have better customer service. You had to pay to use the computer in the business center which in this age I think is ridiculous. The persistent rumbling noise during the night was awful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
new york city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

We stayed 3 nights during racing season( really busy) and were pleasently surprised to see that the entire hotel has been recently renovated. The lobby has a huge seating are with plenty of couches and chairs if you wish to relax. There are both indoor and outdoor pools a hot tub and a huge fitness center was added. We didn't eat in the restaurant so I can't comment on it. All of the staff we encounted were friendly and efficient.
We had access to the concierge lounge and the concierge Joan was just amazing. If you wanted something she didn't have she would run all over the hotel to find it for you. She even packed cans of soda and snacks for us to take to the track. She walked around speaking with everyone as if we were all old friends. When my husband said he likes milk with his inroom coffee she had a container sent to our room- we had a refrigerator.
Our room was clean and comfortable although you would think an upscale hotel would use queen instead of double beds. A negative was that internet access cost something like $15 per day with fees they added on.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family