“I had a pleasant 2 day stay here”
Review of Albany Marriott

Albany Marriott
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Is it overpriced for Albany, yeah maybe a little. Things to improve: Need a small refridgerator as a standard thing. Also, no HBO or premium cable channel??? Seriously, that has to be fixed. Now for the plusses.

Nice up to date bathroom with more upscale shampoos and soaps, not your typical Paul Mitchell the lower scale Marriotts give you. It was nice having a bar near the lobby where I was able to grab a late bite and have a couple of beers. Bed was comfortable and the room was nice. Not sure about the WiFi fuss. I am Gold level and my WiFi was free and worked just fine. It was a nice upgrade from staying at the Springhill which happened to be sold out, as was everything in Albany at the time.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

Dear Stephen W,

We appreciate our feedback and continued loyalty as a Gold Member.

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

The service was great and the room was very clean. Only complaint would be that they charge for internet and no free breakfast. This Marriott's most expensive hotel in the area and they nickel and dime you. 13.00 a day for internet?? Really. I'm surprised they didn't charge me for parking.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Dear Ed S,

Thank you for your review, We are delighted that you were happy with the stay with us. We do have some rates that include breakfast, so you can inquire about those packages, when you will make reservation for your next stay.

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Simply not what I have come to know as Marriott quality. The ribeye was less than good as well. This must be a franchise Marriott as it just seemed to be outdated. Normally, the quality of both the food and service are impeccable. That was not what we encountered here. We even had to look for the short order cook at the breakfast buffet, which was overpriced for what they had. The pool was just so so as well. Don't really know what else to say...just so so.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Dear AFairAssessment,

Thank you for taking the time share your experience with the Albany Marriott. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Haven't stayed at this hotel since our daughter was undergrad 20+ years ago. A cookie cutter Marriott, and not a whole lot has changed in 20 years. The room is average, bed is comfortable, as it should be, front desk is perfunctory, but not overly welcoming, bathroom is clean and air conditioning is quiet. There is an indoor and small outdoor pool. Nothing exceptional, just average.
One surprise was that there was not open restaurant when we arrived at 9:30. The restaurant was set up for breakfast and nobody was around. There is a Starbucks/bar in the lobby, and we were able to grab a coffee and very, very limited dessert selection (with a 23.00 tab). We like Starbucks and although the barista was courteous, I wish there had been more selection and all prices posted.
As I have said in many numerous reviews of this area (have been coming to this area at least 6 times a year for 25 years), there are many quality hotels in the area to choose from at competitive prices. Choose wisely.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time share your experience with the Albany Marriott. with the feedback of the rooms, service and overall amenities that were available while you were in ouse. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory as that is not our goal and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Room: The room seemed cramped with a couch, king bed, desk, dresser, TV and coffee table. The bathroom sink area/vanity was tight which, since I was only staying for one night, wasn't too much of an issue. Pros: Comfy bed (standard for most Marriotts), ample towels, nice amenities (shower gel, lotion, shampoo/conditioner, soap) and covered paper cups for coffee. Cons: Cramped room and loud air conditioner.

Fitness: Awesome. The gym was packed full of equipment - 5-6 Life fitness treadmills, 4 Life fitness ellipticals, 2 Life fitness upright cycles, a variety of strength pieces (rear delt, leg raises, lat pulldown, abs and a cable station), two foam rollers, 3 stability balls, 2 large mats for stretching/abs and two benches. The gym was the best. They offer complimentary lemon water, bananas and apples.

Internet: I was so disappointed. I wonder when Marriott will realize offering free wifi in guests' rooms is the way to go. They even charge $13 bucks to use the computer in the business center. Furthermore, you have to pay per page to print a document.

Overall, when I return to Albany, I won't stay at this hotel. I loved the gym but it's not worth $250 a night if I can't print a document for work.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Todd R, General Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Safmls1,

Reviewed June 15, 2014

I'm a Marriott Platinum and I usually love Marriott hotels (hence why they are my go to "brand") - but for some reason this hotel hit me the wrong way from the moment I walked in. There was nothing terrible about it, but something seemed "off" - probably due to the fact that it's an older hotel. The two issues I really had with the hotel which is why I'm giving it three stars instead of four, is that: 1) the wireless internet signal is very weak; and 2) there is no free computer either in the concierge lounge or in the lobby (the business centre computers cost a fortune).

Most Marriotts have free computers and printers in the lobby for their guests to use. The ones that do not at least have a free computer and printer in the concierge lounge. Charging $10 for a few minutes of computer use is unacceptable in the 21st century.

One great thing, the workers in the lounge are great and the front desk was pretty good.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Todd R, Manager at Albany Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear Soly44,

You’re a valued guest; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Internet usage for Platinum and Gold members is complimentary that includes guest room and any work that you may need to have done in the business center. Our internet connection in the lobby is also complimentary for all of the guests.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I am a Marriott Rewards Person at the Silver/Gold level. I stay at a lot of Marriott and expect a level of consistent high quality and usually get it That is what surprised me about my three day stay.
When I arrived I was told that Internet service was extra but the service was so slow that they did not charge for it. Either way it was disappointment. First, I stay, as a business traveler at Marriott because I need to internet and second, had I not complained, nothing would have been done. I also found a little bit of food in my room on the floor. That was unexpected. Need to do a better job vacuuming. The TV would not allow me to select channels which was due to a faulty signal box which they needed to replace. One of the lamps was giving off this consistent electrical whine until I shut it off. The door was very difficult to open and the mechanism required a great deal of force. I complained twice and no one came to fix it. My room advertised having a frig abut there was not and I had to have them deliver one which would not fit. Some people were enthusiastic but others left you the feeling that they were doing you a favor. Many of the staff were new and just out of college. I went to the business office to use a stapler. There was none. When I went to the front desk they told me that they did not keep a stapler in the business office because people would steal them. When the front desk gave me a stapler I have to return it because there were no staples. When we finally got staples in the stapler, it was such a cheap stapler that it jammed. This is a cheap, bottom of the barrel, hotel, that goes not cater to the business traveler. Th upholstery was frayed.
On the plus side the front desk was very efficient. I did not try the pool or the health club. There is a Starbucks that opens at 6:00am
This is a cheap Marriott. Its the type of place that is more family or team orientated.

Room Tip: Select the highest floor possible because they have been updates. Those floors 5 and above have been...