“Another Disappointment in Albany”
Review of Albany Marriott

Albany Marriott
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Once a year, my wife and I travel to the Albany area to attend a family picnic. Last year, we were very disappointed with a Marriott property in East Greenbush (which also received a negative review from me and which I made a point not to return to), so we were looking for a new hotel to stay at in the area. I generally have a preference for Marriott properties, so, despite the extra 15 minutes or so travel from the picnic and the additional cost, I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, the time and money were not justified.

There are three elevators in the hotel. Only one was working. When I arrived, the front desk at first wanted to give me a room on the first floor. I like higher rooms, so I asked if they had anything on a higher floor, and they did give me a room on the 6th floor. That would have been fine, except that this might have been a good time to mention to me that they were having problems with the elevators. Had I known that, I probably would have opted to stay with the first floor room. Instead, we got to wait for long periods of time for the elevator, sometimes having to wait for a second trip because it was full. Every time we used the elevator, people were crammed in like sardines. It was very uncomfortable and not what I expect when I pay the rates that they charge for a room.

On the first night there, I wanted some ice for a beverage. However, the ice machine on the 6th floor had an "Out of Order" sign on it. So I walked down the stairs to the 5th floor. Same story. Finally, on the 4th floor, I was able to get ice, then had to wait for the elevator again. As I got back to the 6th floor and walked by the ice machine there, a man was filling a cooler from the "out of order" ice machine. For some reason they had put "out of order" signs on machines that worked perfectly, so I got to wander around the hotel wasting time in search of ice.

Also, I found the hotel to be too noisy. There were several high school age sports teams staying in the hotel, which was fine. In fact, we enjoyed watching and talking with some of the kids at the pool. However, it also seemed that there was almost a constant barrage of noise from the hallways and other rooms. On our second night there, around 10:00 or so there was a lot of laughing and squealing in the corridor. I opened the door to find several young girls playing with a soccer ball in the hallway. I'm not blaming the hotel for the fact that kids will be kids, but the construction seems to be such that noise carries very well, and it makes it difficult to relax in the room.

Finally, in this day and age, I find it a bit offensive to have to pay an extra fee to have internet service in the room. Most hotels I have stayed at offer it on a complimentary basis, and especially at the higher rates charged by this hotel, it seems to me that it should be included in the room cost. We are Silver Elite members with Marriott, which means that we can receive complimentary internet service, but the cost was added to the bill anyway. I had to request at checkout that it be removed. I assume that, had I not contested the charge, the hotel would have been more than happy to keep my money. There was no notice in the room or on the bill that, as a silver elite member, I could have the charge removed. Again, not the level of service I expect from Marriott hotels.

On the positive side, the room was clean and comfortable (except for the noise issue) and the clerk at checkout offered me extra Reward points to make up for the inconvenience. I appreciate that, but it's not enough to get me back to this property. We expect to be back to Albany next year for the family picnic, and the search for a good hotel will continue...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThomasM718

Reviewed July 13, 2013

The hotel was clean and conveniently located. Wolf Road offers everything that one would need...there is a mall near by in case you forget something, multiple choices for dinning AND a Dunkin donuts with a drive thru right across the street :)

I had a problem with my AC, called the front desk and went out for dinner. When I returned, the room was icy cool. They were very attentive.

The bar located in the hotel was really nice. It offers pub tables, regular tables and couches so you have your choice. Very comfortable and pleasant atmosphere.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor which was really convenient.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife, our daughter and I had a very pleasant stay at the hotel May 17 to 19. After leaving I realized that I had left the charger for my camera plugged in on the desk. When we got to Syracuse we called and the employees, upon hearing my situation, promptly went to the room and found the charger. I believe we spoke to Brett and he got the unit back to me a short time later.
The next day I realized that I had also left my glasses in the room. I initially called and was told none had been found. My wife called a few days later, spoke to Katie. To our pleasant surprise Katie searched through the “Lost and Found” room, located my missing glasses and also promptly mailed them to me.

. The courtesy, attention to excellent customer service, plus concern for us and efforts bythe hotel employees on our behalf were greatly appreciated and so much more than we have experienced in other hotels in these difficult economic times. It was a very pleasant surprise and very reminisant of the "good old days" when this was the rule rather than the exception..

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Fastidious1776
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We checked in to this hotel and when I went into the bathroom, the bathtub was covered in sand and there was black dirt around the drain of the tub. They did not sound surprised when I called down to the front desk and said sometimes "dirt can bubble up from the drain". This was more than something bubbling up. They offered to come and clean the tub, but my only thought was how clean is the rest of this room! They changed my room, but were not very apologetic at all. The lobby is nice enough but the pool is on that level and so the whole lobby smells of chlorine. We had the breakfast buffet which was very overpriced for the offerings. One day they charged my son as a child and the next day as an adult. In fact, we had the Continental buffet and they charged us all for the hot buffet. Luckily, I noticed the mistake on the bill. Overall, mediocre at best.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed here only because I was bumped off my flight to Pittsburgh and needed something close to the Albany airport. Very short stay because I got to the hotel at 8:00 pm and left at 4:30 pm. Nonetheless, I wanted to write a review because I was very impresed with the service.

I had left my Iphone charger at the office and was pretty desperate for one, The front desk did not have one so I asked the main server in the concierge lounge if he could try to find one. Rafik went to the concierage, Mary Anne, and in 30 minutes they came up with one. I then went to the bar to have dinner and had a wonderful conversation with Erica. This is what travel is about. The rooms were pleasant Marriott rooms - not amazing but perfectly fine- but if I am in the area again I will come back to this Marriott again because of the service and the people. There is a Courtyard across the street and it may be very good as well, but I was extremely happy with this property because of the three people mentioned above. I stay in Marriotts a lot and I'm please to point out exceptional service when I find it. Kudos to those I mentioned.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gate75
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of a WW2 reunion group for US Paratroopers in June 2013. The rooms were clean, large and comfortable but the general feel of the hotel is very impersonal. There was very little effort to make either us or the veterans welcome and it seems that the answer to every request for service is either 'no' or 'charge it to your room'. We felt that $9.95 a day for Wi Fi was too expensive and were told that four years ago it was free. The staff were professional but it seems that the management of this hotel do not put much emphasis on service. The exception is the Bell Men who were unfailingly cheerful and helpful.

We only had one meal at the hotel which was supposed to be a 'banquet'. The started was the flavourless salad followed by prime rib which in my case was almost stone cold and completely without flavour.

Since we returned to UK we have had a long e-mail from the hotel but at no point have they ever asked us for feedback. I wonder why and can only conclude that they don't care.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We spent a weekend at this hotel as we came for our cousin's graduation.A very average hotel.no complaints.Service also average.Very poor lay of breakfast.Nothing special.Very ordinary food.Not an extravagant hotel.But reasonable for the rate.
The room was very comfortable, clean and spacious.Ideal for lodging.
Wouldn't mind staying again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family