“Bedlam” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Bedlam”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2007

Construction is never fun, and I wish my travel agent had notified me that there was construction and moved me to another less hassle-ridden hotel. I've had good experiences at the Marriott before, so I was unprepared for the bedlam of its current state.

The third floor, where my room was, looked like something out of Beirut. Exposed wires, unfinished walls and ceilings, weird smells. My room was OK, insulated from the mess, but it hadn't been refinished yet.

Since the enire front lobby is bing reworked, all the front desk was squeezed into the gift shop. This was clearly tough for them, and they were a bit cranky as a result. I can't blame them, though... management had put up an overly long black curtain to divide the surrogate front desk area from the gift shop proper. The curtain was like a death trap: I saw at least three employees trip over the mounds of excess fabric at their feet and go flying through the curtain. I'd be cranky too. Unfortunately, as a guest, cranky staff are sometimes hard to deal with.

I won't give the Marriott one star, due to my previously positive experiences, but I won't be in a hurry to come back either.

• Liked — It's close to my client and to the airport
  • Disliked — It felt a bit like Phnom Penh
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank DrewV

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2007

I got a newly renovated room so I thought this was going to be great. I was very wrong. My room smelled of new paint. I understand the room being new but the the hotel should have allowed time for the room to air out before making a guest stay in a room with paint fumes. There were still rooms on my floor that were being renovated and there is was a lot of noise in the morning.

The room itself looked like it had just been thrown together while i was driving into the parking lot. The phone did not work, it was dusty, the clock was about 6 hours and some odd minutes off.

In the morning I realized they had not given me a hair dryer. After 20 min and 2 phone calls (from my now working phone) I got a hair dryer that should have been mounted on a wall. It was very hard to manuver and very dirty.

The AC was also horrible. I woke up and room was very muggy. I had to stand in the hall way just to cool off. I looked at the AC and it was at its minimum low temp and was running on high,

I complained in the morning on my way out the door. The guy at the desk found it odd they gave me an old hair dryer since all the new rooms were supposed to have new ionic hairdryers.

Whan I came back in the evening the only thing that had changed was that they removed the lid on my AC that covers the control panals. It still smelled of paint fumes and no new hair dryer.

Lastly I guess its too much to ask that I iron my clothes. The ironing board was broken, I thought about compaining but could not be late to work again!

The room was also very poorly lit, but had good beds.

Never again. I will stay at the Hampton in.

• Stayed October 2007
3 Thank frequenttraveler4

Travelers are raving about these Albany hotels

Highland, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2007

Yes indeed, there is some construction going on here. During my stay they were working on the 5th, 6th, and 7th floors according to the front desk. I was given a room on the 4th floor and was concerned about the possible construction noise . . . especially in the morning as I had no need to get up early and wanted to sleep in. I was pleasantly surprised that the noises were infrequent and not very loud. Maybe I was at the lucky end of the floor!

The rooms could use a facelift but overall I found it comfortable. The beds have been upgraded already and are soft and inviting. The bathroom is clean and functional although I had one towel rack that was a bit touchy (the bar didn't always stay in place). The small refrigerator worked fine too.

My only complaint is that they do not offer wireless internet even though it is stated on their website and in their info book that it is available. They charge everyone $9.95/day for high speed internet. I opted to use a dial-up connection at $0.99 per local call since I was just checking email and playing around on the net.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I had to call down on my first night since my room did not have a 'Do Not Disturb' sign. They told me the concierge would have on sent up and place on my door so I wouldn't have to wait up for them. Sure enough, it was there when I got up the next morning. Actually ended up with two signs!

• Liked — The comfortable beds
  • Disliked — No free or wireless internet access
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2007

Beware of the construction. Information at arrival says construction only between the hours of 8:30 - 6:00 pm. For two days they've started at 7:15 am and worked through 7:00 pm. And the manager can't (or won't) do anything about it. Hotel is badly in need of an update although only updates seem to be new wallpaper and towel rack -- should be doing a lot more. On the plus side, staff is very friendly and sympathetic.

• Disliked — Out-dated rooms. Will still be even with renovations.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank WeeklyTraveler1
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

We just returned from a great long weekend visiting Saratoga Springs but staying in Albany!. The Albany Marriott Hotel which is on Wolf Road has a GREAT special while they are remodeling. For the price of a general room plus a few dollars extra, my husband, 16 year old son and I were able to stay Friday through Monday and get free breakfasts, the buffet was probably the best hotel breakfast, 2 free tickets to Saratoga Race Track per day and free race programs, and a bottle of EXQUISITE champagne! The Albany Marriiott hotel staff are the friendliest we've ever encountered at a major hotel. They bent over backwards and were geniunely friendly from the restaurant wait staff to the chef, to the housekeeping staff, manager. The drive is about 1/2 hour from Saratoga Springs but is an easy ride because Route 87 is just a couple of miles away. By exiting at Exit 14, you can easily reach the Race Track. The shops and restaurants are also fun in Saratoga Springs. But the room prices for even the "family motels" are very over priced with race season. The Albany Marriott advertises their Race Specials starting at $179 per night including all the features I listed above. Plus, it's a family friendly hotel with both an indoor and outdoor pool, great exercise room, business center with 3 computers and good parking. The beds and rooms are very comfortable. An added plus is the laundry room available. We just picked up our son from camp. Of course he had NO clean clothes. The front desk told us of the laundry room which was inexpensive ($1/ wash and $1/ dry) but included laundry soap and bleach if you so desired. This is a great deal! Linda

• Liked — Great friendly staff; great food; comfortable beds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Bozeman, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2007

I stayed here for three nights on business. The hotel indicated that it would soon undergo a refurbishment. It certainly is badly in need of one.

The rooms were old and sort of musty, with old carpeting and furnishings. The bathroom was small and at the end of my stay, the towel rack fell off of the wall. Most annoyingly, the HVAC unit is extremely loud. It shuts on and off frequently and can not keep the room at a constant temperature. To get to sleep, I had to turn the unit off completely, because I did not want it rumbling to life every 15 minutes.

The gym is terrible--one of the worst I have seen in a long time. The indoor pool area seemed a bit grimy; it was certainly no place to relax.

I had lunch at the hotel one day, which was fine. ABout what I would expect from a hotel of this caliber.

The only saving grace of this property is its helpful and accomodating staff. When I was there, they were working with a full house, but the staff did not act overworked.

If this hotel gets a good renovation, it will be a much better property.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2007

Had a two night stay at the Albany Marriott. Very mediocre hotel in need of some serious updating.

The good: The staff for the most part was reasonably friendly. They also have a free shuttle from the Airport which was very nice. The bed was reasonably comfortable.

The bad: Where to start. The room I had was in pretty mediocre shape. Some mold in the shower and some wallpaper falling off the walls. Not the worst hotel i've ever stayed in, but definitely not up to Marriott standards I am used to. My room had two double beds. One set of sheets had some large stains on it. The other did not. The shower in the room was the worst shower I have experienced in years. Very bad water pressure. Took ages to shower, though ample hot water.

The food at the hotel I ordered from roomservice was the worst I have ever eaten at a hotel. The eggs were inedible. The hashbrowns were cold and soggy in the middle. If you stay here, skip the room service.

Plus the hotel has no wireless in the rooms, only wired internet - and they charge you $10 a day for it.

If you need to stay in Albany, I would not put this hotel on the top of my list. There are a few brand new hotels in town and better hotels near the Airport.

Stayed July 2007