“No complaints”

Howard Johnson Inn - Albany
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed January 15, 2014

For the price, I don't think you can do much better. Plenty of space, good amenities (free wifi is always a plus, and it's fast too), good location - lots of places to eat nearby, and most of them will deliver to your room. I saw some other reviews that complained about it being dirty, or having a smoky smell in a non-smoking room - I didn't experience these issues. My room was always clean and tidy.

The staff here is very friendly too. I stayed here a few days a week over the span of a few months for work. I could have chosen a more upscale hotel, but decided to stick with this one mainly for that reason.

I really didn't have any complaints. The shower took a few minutes to heat up in the winter, and the continental breakfast could offer a bit more, but I think they're doing the best with what they've got.

Room Tip: Room 118 is where they serve the continental breakfast, so I guess go with 116 or 120 if you want to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 26, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed December 24, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed December 14, 2013

was clean but badly in need of remodeling. staff was nice. ok for 1 night. location idea on a busy street . restaurant on site, only 2 miles from airport. big hotel lots of rooms but rooms do need lots of help

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Do yourself a favor and keep driving. There are other hotels around that have to be better than this place. I was traveling for work and the company booked this for me. At first it looked fine, check in was quick, and there was even a restaurant/bar attached to the motel. That's where the good things ended. I was put in a room in the very back of the property, so it was very deserted. Walked into the "non smoking room" and was greeted by the smell of stale cigarette smoke. It was like it was a smoking room at one point, and they just tried to cover the smell. The room was freezing! No heat on at all. Turned the lights on and saw the stained carpet, stained bedspread, and the filthy refrigerator. At this point it was late and I was hungry, so I turned up the heat and went to the restaurant while the room heated up. The restaurant was nice, it is a Thai and the bar was well stocked and had decent food. Came back to the room and it still was pretty cold, but better. Walked in the bathroom and saw that the toilet seat was only half attached, and the floor was so sticky that my shoes were sticking to it. It was obvious to me that the housekeeping was basically non existent. I put 2 towels down on the floor to walk on. Besides having the stained bedspread, the bed was pretty comfortable. The best part came in the morning when I went to take a shower. I turned the shower on and it came out in just a stream. At first I was confused and thought maybe it was like a shower massage type shower head. When I looked up I realized there was no shower head! I had been taken off. I was able to make it through a shower without a shower head and went to the office to show them the video I took of the water coming out of the shower. At first they didn't seem to see the problem with it, until I said "there is no shower head". The woman told me "oh we must have missed that". You think? All she offered was that I could go take a shower in another room. No offer of a refund or anything like that. I told her I was fine and that I just wouldn't be staying there again. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank anthspin68
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Very disappointed....dirty .,,, old bedding and in need of a total rehab..will never stay at a Howard Johnson's again
It was a. Very negative experience.. Should be closed down or totally rehabbed

Poor excuse for a hotel

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Conveniently located in the city. Easily find your way around the city in and outskirts. Clean comfortable good breakfast bar. Friendly service and Desk is willing to help. Makes you feel it a home away from home..

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family