“A pleasure to stay ... everything you want and more.” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Desmond Hotel Albany
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Syracuse, New York
“A pleasure to stay ... everything you want and more.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel is a very nice place to stay. Close to everything. Friendly staff, warm fireplace burning, nice comfortable rooms, great restaurant and bar. We experienced the total hotel. Its a great facility!! I WILL be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

The Desmond has a lot of nice attributes making for a unique stay at their facility. I like that they have a real fire in the lobby to sit by. The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable and the room layout was nice. I would suggest improving the shower head from the old water saver type. I understand water is expensive but other hotels in the area provide a good shower, and this one is lacking. I also suggest moving away from the glass wear in the bathroom. There have been enough news stories about how glasses are not cleaned properly in hotels to scare anyone and when I went to use a glass and there was lipstick on it those stories only confirm my previous suspicions. The only thought running through my head is the cleaning lady finishing with the toilet and moving right on over to the glasses in the room. For business this is a great hotel given that they have a nice bar and restaurant. I probably would not stay here again specifically because of the poor showers but if that were changed, I would gladly stay again. Hotel staff was friendly, and I paid $140.00 per night.

Room Tip: End rooms are cold in the winter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Recently had one of the best experiences in the Albany area. Catered a dinner during the SUNY Aux. Services Assoc. conference in January. Being in the service industry every one at the conference expects great service and food - once again the staff outdid themselves. The catering Manager Don Edmonds was one of the best I've ever dealt with, the catering staff, same as last were once again so attentive and personable. again - this was an all around fantastic experience!!!!

Room Tip: My room was on the courtyard and was excellent
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank steve o
Poultney, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed because they offered free parking and a shuttle to the airport. I will never stay at this hotel again. The food was terrible, room service never answered the phone -- I had to call the front desk and give my order, it was extremely noisy, the room was not clean, and when I returned from my trip, my car was snow-plowed in and there were some extremely scary men in a van waiting for me (it was 1:30 in the morning and 21 below zero) who acted as if they wanted cash to un-bury my car. NOT WORTH IT -- I WILL PAY THE $5.00 a day at the Albany Airport Economy Lot who have extremely friendly and helpful drivers and they never snowplow your car in.

Room Tip: Stay at the Marriott instead.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mary Jane M
DesmondAlbanyGM, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Albany, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Please know that we value our guests and take their feedback very seriously. We were very concerned upon reading your comment about the "men in a van", and researched the situation immediately. These men were members of our kitchen staff whose shifts had just ended. We deeply apologize for their ungentlemanlike conduct, and unprofessionalism by asking for compensation to assist you. We are also sorry to learn of the other issues you encountered, as we are an award winning hotel for both our food and our customer service and we value our guests experiences greatly.

Tyler Desmond
Rhinecliff, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Overall, a great place to stay. Clean, efficient, nice atmosphere and accommodating staff. My only disappointment was that the plug for the bathtub didn't work. I didn't pursue it, and I would assume that it would have been corrected immediately if I had, given the high level of professionalism their staff demonstrated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for the romantic package. We had a nice dinner in Scrimshaw. However, when we returned to our room around 10 pm we found extremely loud music playing in the rooms next door to ours and people laughing and yelling. There was clearly a big party going on. The noise was so loud in our room we could clearly hear what the people were saying. Also, our room started to smell like smoke because people were clearly smoking next door. The hotel promotes itself as a non smoking facility. We called the front desk to complain twice and the response was minimal. The music was turned down for 15 minutes and then returned to the loud level. By 1130 pm it was clear there was no way we could sleep there so we packed our bags and left. While checking out in the lobby we saw several other party goers arriving and asking the front desk where the room number was. We had our wedding reception at The Desmond and have returned several times for the romantic package stay. We have always been impressed with our stays, however this stay I was extremely disappointed with the fact that the hotel staff was tolerating the loud party with such a lack of consideration to other guests. We were not charged for the partial stay, but still it was a huge inconvenience as we had to drive home in the middle of the night exhausted on icy roads. I was very disappointed that The Desmond would allow such a party to occur in their facility and I strongly feel that it compromises their reputation of quality. Awful
Experience!!

• Stayed January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
DesmondAlbanyGM, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Albany, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry for the noise issue that you experienced during your recent stay with us. A birthday party occurred that evening, and parties such as this are allowed as long as the noise level does not distract other guests. Our front desk managers spoke to this group on several occasions regarding the noise, and then moved their room location to a different area. Again, we are very sorry that this affected you and your husband. We look forward to having you return and use your gift certificate for a quiet, romantic evening.

Tyler Desmond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed here because our pipes froze - ugh!!! Anyways the staff was very very nice. The room was cute and affordable for the area. The service in the bar was good. The food wasn't great in the bar but we weren't looking for a great night out. We were just looking to lay our heads. I would stay again if I needed to and would recommend to family and friends visiting the area. Many thanks for making us comfortable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family