“Always Top Notch”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bakersfiled
“Always Top Notch”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We love the Desmond. We make an effort to enjoy the quaint atmosphere, well furnished rooms and attentive staff each time we travel through Albany. This facility will remain on the top of our recommended list.

Room Tip: Be sure to enjoy all the fine facilities!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Bordentown, New Jersey
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Desmond for two nights while visiting friends and we loved it. Couldn't be happier with our room that overlooked the courtyard. We both love the colonial charm this hotel has and highly recommend it. We also stopped by the Tavern for a few drinks and appetizers - good food and good service.

Room Tip: Recommend a 2nd floor room with a balcony overlooking one of the courtyards.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rutland, Vermont
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was very surprised when I arrived and checked in, this hotel is beautiful! Just like something out of the olden days. Both Eric and Janet were fabulous at the front desk, gave very helpful directions and went out of their way to suggest restaurants and even make reservations at them for me. I had a gorgeous room overlooking a fountain, the room was a nice size. The only thing was that the courtyard did get a little noisy at times, and I found it a little odd that there was no safe in the room. I didn't have a chance to try any of the restaurants, but will for sure next time I go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard
1 Thank Samantha T
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

After a series of major delays, we arrived in Albany at 3:30 AM. We called a couple hotels and everything seemed booked. So we started driving and found the Desmond. The clerk gave a late check out so we could sleep in. The hotel and room was clean, very comfortable and homey in a good way. We explored a bit on our way to the in-hotel restaurants (very good!!) and found a huge, beautiful indoor atrium, with cafe style eating. Thoroughly enjoyed our few short hours and would love to go back again!

• Stayed September 2013
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2013

While in Albany last week on a business trip, I decided to try another hotel as I usually stay at the typical chain hotels. According to the website, The "Desmond" was ranked "Best Local Hotel" in six consecutive years. I'm writing this review today to share with you my experience at the "Desmond" as it was by far the worst hotel experince I've ever had in all my years of traveling. Where should I start? Building E of the hotel where I stayed smelled awful from the minute I walked in. The smell continued down the hallway and into the room. I chalked this up to the fact that the hotel is old and could probably use some updating. You would not know that the hotel is in need of an overhaul as it boasts comfortable colonial charm. Sure, the website is very nice as is the walk from the parking lot to the front door. That is where it stops. The drain plug in the first room I was given was laying in the tub. I asked for another room and found the same thing. The plug and mechanism pulled out and again laying in the tub. Maintenance advised me that both rooms drain on the same line and offered to come up and snake the drain. I was moved again and on to my 3rd room. When I went to take a shower I noticed that the water was not draining and filling up the tub. At this point, I didn't have time to change rooms AGAIN and ended up taking a "bird bath" washing in the bathroom sink with soap and a wash cloth. The sheets were stained and one of the pillow cases had something "black" stuck to it. The bedspread smelled and the blanket was a cheap vellux blanket that you would expect in a cheap motel. The mattress was old and uncomfortable. The bathroom door and wall paper had splash and drips on them. Clearly the maintenance of this hotel and the house keeping are lacking. The staff was pleasant and very apologetic. I will not stay here ever again or recommend this hotel to anybody traveling to the Albany area.

Room Tip: I do not recommend that you stay in any of the buildings on the south side of the hotel. Specifical...
2 Thank Sidney H
DesmondAlbanyGM, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Albany, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear guest,

We sincerely apologize for the maintenance issues that you experienced, and agree it was not up to our usual standard of excellence which is why upon check-out we did not charge you for the cost of your stay with us. We were very thankful to hear that our staff was pleasant and apologetic when they assisted you with this situation. We take all guest feedback seriously, and the issues you encountered have been rectified. We hope you give us a second chance to prove your experience was not the normal Desmond experience.

Tyler Desmond
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel is probably the way it was when LBJ took the oath as President. This is nothing like the large chain hotels that I typically stay in. Colonial decor from the seventies and small town values. Very responsive staff. Friendly assistance. The room is large with 2 queen beds. Lots of towels and soap. Coffee machine and flat screen TV. Plenty of parking. Nice gift shop that is stocked full of whatever you want. Very nice indeed. A pleasant change of pace from the Marriott and Hilton brands that I love.

Room Tip: Choose one over the courtyard or the parking areas. Your choice.
Commack, New York, United States
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have been staying at the Desmond for over 30 years and it is always wonderful coming back. This trip was for pleasure - a weekend at Saratoga- and although I didn't win at the track I felt like a winner as soon as I checked into the hotel. We were greeted by Kristine and Meagan at the front desk and they were exceptionally accommodating. Arrival was a breeze and they made sure we were satisfied with the room and informed us of the amenities of the Desmond and the surrounding area. We will be back! Mel Stern

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends