“Nice hotel. Convenient location. Met expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Desmond Hotel Albany
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice hotel. Convenient location. Met expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I'll be honest, I had expected less. This is very similar both in decor, style, and price to a hotel I stay at closer to home due to business. And I don't particularly care for that place of lodging. This hotel, not an issue. Convenient location for my business needs this week, close to the airport, affiliated with my Corporate Rate Policy. Check in was easy, room was ready, room was neat, clean, and as desired. Hotel is large. Indoor center space almost seems like a bit of a waste, as I didn't see a single person use it all week, but whatever. Food was good, albeit a bit expensive. Housekeeping was adequate. Only ding was a tinge of a musty smell in carpet hallways, but it was not bad. Free, convenient parking. I'd stay here again and recommend.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ryan T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Forest Hills, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

This was my third annual consecutive stay at the Desmond and while many hotels seem to get worse with age, this one most certainly has gotten better. Upon arriving, we were pleasantly surprised at the setup of our room when we walked in. Classic music was playing from the television and there was a plush robe on the bed with chocolates on the pillows to which my girlfriend commented "are you sure this is our room?" Because it was like walking into a fairy tale. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly as we asked for quarters several time to play pool. The restaurant staff was very friendly as well. I am looking forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jim B
Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Although from California we've been staying at the Desmond since 1982, the property has never looked better. You'd swear it had just opened last week. The attention to detail is amazing, and trust me we are very detailed people.

Upon arrival the Bell Hop was at our car almost immediately, the counter staff welcoming and so pleasant. Our favorite room was set to go, the rate was remarkable given it is summer time and high season.

We had one of the best dinners of my life (age 60) at the Schrimshaw Restaurant, I've never seen Salmon Wellington on a menu, it was terrific. The staff Pat, Shelly and Richard were a remarkable team and made sure all the details were in order. The piano music was such a nice surprise, we had just arrived from Cape Cod where it was so crowded we had to "yell across the table at each other to be heard" The piano music made the evening extra elegant, extra special.

Our room was in immaculate condition, they had redone the shower and it is A+ My wife and I are clean freaks and the room was in perfect condition.

Breakfast at Simpsons is among my favorite on our vacation, their oatmeal is homemade and is absolutely the best. Toast and coffee were piping hot which is so important to me, I have a real thing about cold food, especially toast !

Can not recommend the Desmond highly enough, we just wish we lived closer so we could spend more weekends at the Desmond, it is without a doubt one of our favorite Hotels in the country.

Room Tip: We prefer a room overlooking the parking lot as it is exceptionally quiet, also we love to open the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rob_B260
New City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

My brother James has lived in Albany for 30 years. I live in Rockland County (30 miles North of New York City) in New City, N.Y. I come to visit my brother, niece and nephew,
at least 3-4 times every year. I always stay at least 2 days each visit and therfore I make reservations at hotels in Albany. This is my first time staying at The Desmond Hotel. My mother is now 83 years old and I bring her with me to visit my brother.
The hotel staff, at all levels, (i.e. Supervisors, Managers, Front Desk, etc.) could not have been nicer to both my Mom and I. They were extremely friendly, courteous, and were all genuinely kind and caring towards my Mom and I. I had locked my keys and cell phone in my care right after checking out. To say the least, I was not very happy about this. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and went above and beyond to help me resolve this. They stayed with my Mom while I had to go outside to my car when help arrived (I have AAA). I would like to mention the staff members names, for they deserve recognition for their kindness, positive attitude and genuine caring. Meagan and Grace at the Front Desk. Two very beautiful, young ladies with alot of positive energy and patience. Mohamed, the Front Office Manager, positive energy, kind and caring. They all worked well together and always had a smile on their faces.
I am a Registered Nurse, a profession where we should have genuine caring for another human being. So, it was obvious to me, that Meagan, Grace and Mohamed,
really cared. They were not pretending to care. It was evident to me that they truly enjoyed helping not only the customers, but each other. The Desmond Hotel is very fortunate to have this kind of staff working for them. I most definitley would return an highly recomend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Maureen C
New Hartford, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Before writing this, I checked other reviews. Since most were glowing I wanted to read the poor ones. And... I have to ditto all the poor ones. The Desmond has been touted as a great destination so 9 of us reunioned there. Upon arriving most of our rooms were not ready at check-in time. While our wait was not long - it didn't appear that the facility was fully booked to cause this delay esp. since check-in is at 4 pm and it was a Sunday. Rm 166 - first thing visible is ink stain on bed comforter. Pull that down, hole in blanket. Bed sheets clean but bed poorly made. Rm a bit outdated but smelled ok. In previous posts the manager explains about the updating plans. Don't tell me about that. I should not have walked into a room and noticed the bed linen things first. Because we were gathering for dinner I didn't check out anything else. Go to take a shower at 11 pm and wow. Weird - looks like water facet thingy is broken. Work at it - hot... or cold... can't manage in between. And so it goes for two nights. Upon check out I was offered an apology and supposedly give $20 credit each night. But desk clerk kept making errors and instead I watched my total grow. After some discussion and reconciliation - I was promised that my final AMX bill will be correct... I hope so. Am waiting for the AMX posting. Restaurant food and service were good. Funny thing though... Person in our party inadvertently left tip off breakfast charge receipt (really an honest error) but when I was checking out of hotel a restaurant employee literally found me to tell me no tip was added. While this was an honest mistake (and taken care of) I felt weird having someone find me to tell me our group owed a tip. BTW the menu says a tip will be added for groups of certain sizes so my friend assumed it was added. But I guess they don't follow there own policy. All in all - Desmond has a good reputation - needs to get on with their updating and stop resting on there laurels.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Norjean
DesmondAlbanyGM, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Albany, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear guest,

We apologize for the issues that you experienced during your recent stay with us, and we agree that this was not up to our usual standards of exceptional service that we pride ourselves on. Please know that we do not take these matters lightly, and your comments are dealt with immediately upon receiving them. While we will be starting room renovations soon, that is not an excuse for the cleanliness and functionality of a room and your issues have been addressed with our management team. Again, we apologize and appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback.

Tyler Desmond
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is a lovely hotel with interesting layout around courtyards and mock village streets. Excellent service, family-run. We loved the nautical prints and antiques around the hotel. Very nice rooms, comfortable beds, great breakfast in the Grill. We attended a very nice private luncheon event in one of the courtyards. Surprisingly inexpensive for the quality. Free pick-up service at the airport, which is just around the corner.

Room Tip: If you are there on the weekend, you may want to avoid the main courtyard rooms, as there may be eve...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DCWendo
Orchard Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years. It is consistently a great place to stay. The staff is friendly (thank you Janet at the front desk for being so helpful, patient & funny!), the room service is outstanding (love the turkey club!), and the rooms are always clean & inviting. When visiting Saratoga raceway I prefer to stay here for under $150 a night as opposed to paying a lot more for a lot less in Saratoga Springs. It is a quick 22 minute drive to the track from the Desmond.
I highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking at the interior courtyard...lovely!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends