“Perfect for our anniversary celebration”

The Desmond Hotel Albany
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Beautiful courtyard, had a balcony w/ french doors right over the courtyard and coi pond. Just beautiful! The front desk woman told us our room was facing the outside, so I asked for a courtyard view and she immediately switched us and gave us a 3rd floor room overlooking the courtyard and the coi pond. We left our door open at night so we could hear the sound of the water. The pool was nice, not as warm as I would've liked, but there was a hot tub and it was nice and hot! I worked out the next morning, two tvs in the work out room and had an eliptical, treadmill, bike, weights. Everyone was extremely helpful, the hotel is just beautiful. There's nothing like this in the area, not your typical hotel...so much character and charm just made it a great stay

Room Tip: Four poster King bed - awesome!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LauraRahz
Write a ReviewReviews (1,278)

Reviewed June 28, 2013

we were a group of 26, all from williston, nd. The Desmond staff organized our 2 nite stay...the rooms were lovely, the appointments, gracious, the continental breakfast, delightful. It was just great to have their shuttle service from the airport, shopping, etc. Their restaurants and tavern...so pretty, inviting. And the food--delicious. While our stay with them was only a small piece of our journey, it made a lasting impression---it is a destination unto itself!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 1456turbo
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Clean, comfortable, well furnished rooms. Great facilities and a FANTASTIC staff. I was here for a convention and couldn't have been more pleased with the choice of the Desmond. Great food, ample parking, easy access - they have it all. Please consider it for your next event or visit to the Albany area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Skip D
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I attended a conference the second week of June 2013. Breakfast and lunch were provided as part of the conference and if you haven't tried the famous Desmond Bread Pudding and Custard, you don't know what you are missing. I dined at Simpson's twice (highly recommend the Drunken Goat salad). The macaroon cookie served at the end of my meal at Simpson's were also an unexpected and welcome pleasure. I enjoyed happy hour at The Tavern. The only time I left the premises was to embark on a dinner boat excursion to Lake George. I flew in from San Diego, and The Desmond was big enough to satisfy this city girl. I would compare it to the Hotel Del Coronado for charm and service. Even though it rained every day, I was able to fit in walking indoors, around the courtyards, and interior hallways. The stairwells connecting floors were easily identified and indoor friendly. I shopped at the gift shop for unique souvenirs. Monitors in the business suite provided up to the minute travel info and weather conditions. I enjoyed the people I met and the place I got to know. Thank you Mr. Desmond, for creating a home away from home. Eat, Sleep, Work, Repeat.

Room Tip: I recommend room M23. It is a corner room on the second floor. King Size Canopy bed. The 5 windows i...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 610Desmond
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

stayed for conference recently so only had breakfasts from menu . nice selection for all tastes . lunch buffet was nice but would like more fruit and vegetable choice. beds super comfortable . staff extremely nice. room prices bit higher than comparable in Ireland . proximity to airport is 10 min. but no noise from airport . shuttle bus between airport and shopping mall very helpful

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank 2top
Reviewed June 12, 2013

A place that is sure to remind you of bygone eras. We had a wonderful room overlooking the atrium, and while the decor is a bit worn, the service and location were excellent! A place we will be sure to return when in the Albany area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AR R
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We loved our room. Great value. Lovely canopy bed. Comfortable sitting area. Really charming hotel & great service. My husband forgot his phone & someone (Tim) from the hotel went to get it from our room and drove to the airport with the phone before we took off.

Room Tip: Ask for the M section :)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple