“There's something very charming about The Desmond”

The Desmond Hotel Albany
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am just back from a family weekend getaway at The Desmond. As others here have written, I agree that the staff is stellar and the food is consistently excellent. I was surprised to observe that the staff was mature, ever-present, inquisitive, responsive and genuinely concerned with our overall enjoyment. The kitchen deserves a real compliment. The consistency of the food is remarkable. Although the furnishings could use some slight updating (i.e. a coat of paint or stain in the common areas, plush bedding) there is something totally charming and welcoming about this hotel. It was nice to see that the hotel is busy with events, too, such as a business conference, a family reunion, a cultural association event, and a baby shower. This demonstrated how the facility is connected to its community. Since my room was an outside facing room, none of these events interrupted my stay.

Room Tip: Outside facing rooms are not subject to noise from events held in the interior courtyards.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,232)

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I wish TripAdvisor had a wider range for its ratings because this is a good place... it's not average but also not very good. I'd suggest it is primarily a business hotel... VERY convenient to the airport and highway. The property is nicely decorated, well-maintained... but the housekeeping is not up to the standards evident by other discrete departments within the property. (For example, I found a discarded, chewed pink piece of gum on the rug under the desk. Some previous guest missed the waste can... and housekeeping missed the gum. Likewise there were other misses around the property, including in public areas. The room was nicely decorated and bright. The mattresses were cheap. Food was very good. Staff, all throughout, we're very friendly, caring and attentive. There are not many places to stay in and around Albany. This property would be my first choice. It does need a little tweaking, but you will do just fine staying here. A solidly GOOD place... But TripAdvisor offers no "Good" rating option.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

While I've stayed in various hotels, this one beats them all for two reasons: The staff, from top to bottom, were all unbelieavably friendly & helpful. There's nice and there's friendly. This staff deserves 5 *****! The "cherry on top", if you will, was the food. The Desmond has 3 restaurants within the hotel, one being a pub, one being Simpson's Grill and the other 3rd is for those who prefer fine dining (The Scrimshaw). We chose to eat at Simpson's Grill, which was so amazingly delicious, I went back the 2nd day (both breakfast & dinner). Kudos to the che(s) because I was wowed by my meals each time. I've eaten in many fine dining establishments and my meals was equal to them all. My room had 2 queen beds and I will have to admit that the carpet did have an old stain in it, but the room was clean, which is what counts. Perhaps I should take 1 star away for the stain but I just don't feel they deserve it. I would recommend this room without hesitation!!!

Room Tip: Mine was on the left side of the hotel - on the 2nd floor. Friends stayed on the 3rd floor and comp...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marion C
Reviewed March 25, 2013

WOW. I'm a bus driver who delivered a busload of Hispanic teenagers to a conference at The Desmond and this place delivered for me. The first day I needed carts to take the luggage off the bus and Tim gave them to me and then put the racks in a safe place. TY. And the rooms are wonderful. Can I take it home with me? Great night sleep. Today I really needed to mop my bus and the front desk provided one and followed up to make sure every thing was good. TY. Let's not forget the hot tube! Sandra was a great host in the bar on Saturday. Great stay.

Room Tip: STAY HERE!!!!! book outside room for more privacy
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I joined a group at the Desmond. Checked in at 12:30 am tired. Room was upgraded and excellent. Staff very efficient and friendly. Will consider using the Desmond for future groups. Jay cloutier very easy to work with.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have been staying at The Desmond since I was a child long before it was The Desmond. I love the hotel and its unique feel. You really feel like you are not in a hotel but on a colonial street or square.

The rooms are always well appointed and well maintained.

We love the Scrimshaw restaurant and the hotel so we will make the drive from Syracuse for a quick romantic getaway. A very relaxing place that we always enjoy.

Room Tip: We enjoy the "indoor balcony rooms" that open onto the enclosed "square". We li...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen L
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The Desmond is an excellent place to hold a conference! The room accomodations as well as the conference accomodations were great. All of the staff worked closely with our organization to help everything go smoothly and the food was delicious. I would highly recommend the Desmond for a conference of any size.

1  Thank Vicky B