“YOU HAVE TO READ THIS - GREAT HOTEL!”

The Desmond Hotel Albany
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
“YOU HAVE TO READ THIS - GREAT HOTEL!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

While I've stayed in various hotels, this one beats them all for two reasons: The staff, from top to bottom, were all unbelieavably friendly & helpful. There's nice and there's friendly. This staff deserves 5 *****! The "cherry on top", if you will, was the food. The Desmond has 3 restaurants within the hotel, one being a pub, one being Simpson's Grill and the other 3rd is for those who prefer fine dining (The Scrimshaw). We chose to eat at Simpson's Grill, which was so amazingly delicious, I went back the 2nd day (both breakfast & dinner). Kudos to the che(s) because I was wowed by my meals each time. I've eaten in many fine dining establishments and my meals was equal to them all. My room had 2 queen beds and I will have to admit that the carpet did have an old stain in it, but the room was clean, which is what counts. Perhaps I should take 1 star away for the stain but I just don't feel they deserve it. I would recommend this room without hesitation!!!

Room Tip: Mine was on the left side of the hotel - on the 2nd floor. Friends stayed on the 3rd floor and comp...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Marion C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

WOW. I'm a bus driver who delivered a busload of Hispanic teenagers to a conference at The Desmond and this place delivered for me. The first day I needed carts to take the luggage off the bus and Tim gave them to me and then put the racks in a safe place. TY. And the rooms are wonderful. Can I take it home with me? Great night sleep. Today I really needed to mop my bus and the front desk provided one and followed up to make sure every thing was good. TY. Let's not forget the hot tube! Sandra was a great host in the bar on Saturday. Great stay.

Room Tip: STAY HERE!!!!! book outside room for more privacy
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I joined a group at the Desmond. Checked in at 12:30 am tired. Room was upgraded and excellent. Staff very efficient and friendly. Will consider using the Desmond for future groups. Jay cloutier very easy to work with.

Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have been staying at The Desmond since I was a child long before it was The Desmond. I love the hotel and its unique feel. You really feel like you are not in a hotel but on a colonial street or square.

The rooms are always well appointed and well maintained.

We love the Scrimshaw restaurant and the hotel so we will make the drive from Syracuse for a quick romantic getaway. A very relaxing place that we always enjoy.

Room Tip: We enjoy the "indoor balcony rooms" that open onto the enclosed "square". We li...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen L
Waterloo, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

The Desmond is an excellent place to hold a conference! The room accomodations as well as the conference accomodations were great. All of the staff worked closely with our organization to help everything go smoothly and the food was delicious. I would highly recommend the Desmond for a conference of any size.

1 Thank Vicky B
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Man, does this place need an upgrade. I stayed for a conference - as I imagine most guests do - and hope I never have to go back. The decor is dated: floral print wallpaper, a bedspread circa 1980, green carpeting, plastic flowers in the room. The sink in the bathroom barely came up over my knees (I am 5'9"). My room smelled of disinfectant when I arrived, but luckily I was able to open a window and air it out. I say "luckily" because half of the rooms open up not to the outdoors, but to a covered, interior courtyard.

Room service breakfast was $28 for eggs (which I suspect may have been powdered), greasy hash browns and sausage that I managed to eat one bite of. Lunch in the downstairs bar was decent, and the service overall was good.

The hotel has two interior courtyards that are meant to evoke ... well, it's hard to say what, exactly. Colonial era town? Upstate NY kitsch? Village square? I suspect they were going for whimsy, but it ended up feeling flat-out bizarre. This is a strange hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that open to the interior courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DesmondAlbanyGM, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Albany, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us as a recent guest. We apologize that you found your room service breakfast to be unacceptable in both pricing and quality. We thank you for bringing this to our attention. Based on comments from you and other guests, we have introduced lower pricing while continuing to always work towards delivering the highest quality and freshest product-which includes never using or serving powdered eggs at The Desmond. We appreciate your feedback and hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Tyler Desmond
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here and loved the property. The indoor courtyards and colonial atmosphere is very unique, and we are regular travelers. The front desk service was exceptional, David and Tim were both great at helping us during check-in and when we had questions about lunch. Our room was very nice, and my wife loved the four-poster bed. The overall service was first class, the rooms were exceptionally clean. We look forward to coming back soon for a longer visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family