“Unique property - 4 stars”

The Desmond Hotel Albany
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Unique property - 4 stars”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here and loved the property. The indoor courtyards and colonial atmosphere is very unique, and we are regular travelers. The front desk service was exceptional, David and Tim were both great at helping us during check-in and when we had questions about lunch. Our room was very nice, and my wife loved the four-poster bed. The overall service was first class, the rooms were exceptionally clean. We look forward to coming back soon for a longer visit.

1 Thank yankees2000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel has become a joke it has become absolutely laughable. when I was younger I had come to this hotel many times and was very impressed with it, this is not the case anymore. they use to have a gorgeous pool and hot tub in the center of the hotel which has now been moved to a small disgusting, poorly maintained room in the back of the hotel. the room was okay but it was actually the staff who made me never want to stay here again. The staff treated us poorly and wouldn't serve us when we came to their bar. They even called in another staff member to watch us as we were se ated, I have never been treated so poorly at a place I was trying to have a good time at. I felt as though I was being watched and I was treated rudely by the bar staff and became so uncomfortable I decided to leave. To think we spent my girlfriends birthday there, and were treated like this, is absolutely appalling and they should be embarrassed.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Sacsac4546
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed here for a charity event. Thankfully, I don't have to go back. The motel has an interesting decor for events, but overall it has a nice motel/transformed motor lodge feel to it. It certainty isn't a high class or posh hotel. It is near the airport and is better than an traditional airport motel. After you check in, you have to drive around the back to enter the rooms/hallways near your room. The rooms were clean and nice, but warn. The beds were so-so. The elevator didn't work well and would stop an inch or so past its mark and would rebalanced itself when the doors opened. For the event, for some unknown reason, they shut down the one bar. So 400 people had to get drinks (including water and soft drinks) from only 2 bar tenders. Also, they kept the outside door open and then when people came in, the second door would open. This shot the 10 degree weather into the event area and everyone was freezing. The lobby was cold too.

The worst part about this motel was the Simpson Grill. I got the feeling that they felt if they charged a lot for a meal, then it was posh and nice. For lunch, there were 6 or so of us. The one lady got up for a minute and we didn't notice that the waitress took away her full salad while we were distracted by another. Another, guest had a severely undercooked chicken in her chicken sandwich. I have had better food as well. My burger was cold. You can't replace the chips with french fries or a salad. For that price, quality, and location, you should be able to 1) get fries to start off with and 2) be able to substitute. The service wasn't the best and it took a long time to eat. The restaurant wasn't even full. The food was mildly warm, not hot.

The next morning three of us had breakfast. The bill came to $82. I am use to expensive breakfasts in Chicago, DC, NYC, Philadelphia, and Europe. But, this was equivalent to a Friendly's or Perkins. The location, service, and quality of food did not warrant the attitude nor the price. My breakfast was cold. When we asked for butter for the English muffins, the waitress told us they were already buttered. We showed her that they were dry, so she got us butter. Problem was that our muffins were already cold when she brought them. And then she came back 10 minutes later with the very cold and hard butter. Cold butter on a cold muffin. The coffee was so-so, maybe Maxwell house and they charge as much as a latte at most places.

I've dropped more on breakfast in other cities. But this place doesn't even come close to warranting the prices breakfast for three for $82! What bothered me the most was when I looked online the The Colonial, which is what I ordered, came with beverages included. Yet, I was changed an additional $8 and I don't think it was on their menus in the restaurant. I thought the price was included, but they said it wasn't. I checked and online it still says it is. To me, that is completely unacceptable and a bait-and-switch. Thank heavens, I don't have to go back to this place. When questioned, it was like "Well, if you can't afford it." I can afford it....the problem is this was an over priced motel and the Grill was not worth the money or the attitude.

Room Tip: If you are not there for an event, make sure your room doesn't overlook one of the interior cour...
Binghamton, NY
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at the Desmond for one night in February 2013. The hotel is conveniently located adjacent to the airport (which you can definitely hear) and Interstate 87. A lot of restaurants nearby on Wolf Road. The room was sized well, and as previous reviewers have said, with paper thin walls. Wasn't too big of a deal, but I could hear my son crying in the room while I was down the hall getting ice (about ten rooms away). The ambiance in the hotel is great, almost as if you are in a little village. The fitness facility is interesting, as the weights and equipment is in the pool area and not in a seperate room. Did not eat at the restaurants so I can not speak to the food. The condition of the room, and the hotel itself, was a little dated, but not terrible. The television was new, the beds were somewhat comfortable, and the bathroom was modern. Would definitely recommend to others and will consider for future travel to the area.

1 Thank IzZzalot
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel 5 years running now and it has always been a pleasure. I attend a conference every year and the staff and the rooms are always excellent. Although Albany does not have much to offer, the hotel is well situated on the main road and not far from the shopping mall. it is a nice facility, easy to navigate and staff is always helpful. Several small meeting rooms as well as one auditorium with video for presentations. Nice restaurant and bar as well as indoor pool and exercise room. Ask for a room that faces the inside courtyard. Nice cozy lobby to sit and visit and catch up with friends.

Room Tip: off the inside courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My recent experience at the Desmond was a pleasure from start to finish. When I called to inquire about the check-in time they offered to have a room ready for me by 1:00 p.m. When I asked about check-out they told me it was noon but that I could arrange a later checkout time if I needed it. The food was delicious, and the service prompt, in Simpson's Grille at both dinner and breakfast. (Breakfast is served daily until 11 a.m. except Sunday, when it is served until noon.) The decor is lovely, from the pretty furnishings and wallpaper to the inviting fire in the lobby fireplace. It is a completely non-smoking facility. True, the noise from other guests participating in a convention can be frustrating, but I have encountered that at many other hotels. The Desmond is very near the airport, The Colonie Center mall, and lots of other retail and restaurants. It's very convenient to access from the Thruway and the Northway. I have stayed at "luxury" hotels in large cities where the staff were not nearly as courteous. I would definitely stay and dine at the Desmond again.

Room Tip: If I were to do it again I might ask if it's possible to be located further away from convention...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We only live an hour from the Albany airport but when our flight was not due in until after midnight, I decided to stay at the Desmond instead of driving home. You never can tell what the weather will be like and I knew we would be tired. The free parking while we were on our trip mostly paid for the room-a great value.
Room service was great. They arranged for a sandwich and a cocktail to be left in the room before they closed at 11 pm. It was perfect as we were weary and my husband was really ready for his favorite drink.
We had breakfast before going on our way and it was very good.
It made the ending of a great trip just right.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple