“A little dated, but definitely a unique experience”

The Desmond Hotel Albany
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at the Desmond for one night in February 2013. The hotel is conveniently located adjacent to the airport (which you can definitely hear) and Interstate 87. A lot of restaurants nearby on Wolf Road. The room was sized well, and as previous reviewers have said, with paper thin walls. Wasn't too big of a deal, but I could hear my son crying in the room while I was down the hall getting ice (about ten rooms away). The ambiance in the hotel is great, almost as if you are in a little village. The fitness facility is interesting, as the weights and equipment is in the pool area and not in a seperate room. Did not eat at the restaurants so I can not speak to the food. The condition of the room, and the hotel itself, was a little dated, but not terrible. The television was new, the beds were somewhat comfortable, and the bathroom was modern. Would definitely recommend to others and will consider for future travel to the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank IzZzalot
Write a ReviewReviews (1,278)

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel 5 years running now and it has always been a pleasure. I attend a conference every year and the staff and the rooms are always excellent. Although Albany does not have much to offer, the hotel is well situated on the main road and not far from the shopping mall. it is a nice facility, easy to navigate and staff is always helpful. Several small meeting rooms as well as one auditorium with video for presentations. Nice restaurant and bar as well as indoor pool and exercise room. Ask for a room that faces the inside courtyard. Nice cozy lobby to sit and visit and catch up with friends.

Room Tip: off the inside courtyard.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My recent experience at the Desmond was a pleasure from start to finish. When I called to inquire about the check-in time they offered to have a room ready for me by 1:00 p.m. When I asked about check-out they told me it was noon but that I could arrange a later checkout time if I needed it. The food was delicious, and the service prompt, in Simpson's Grille at both dinner and breakfast. (Breakfast is served daily until 11 a.m. except Sunday, when it is served until noon.) The decor is lovely, from the pretty furnishings and wallpaper to the inviting fire in the lobby fireplace. It is a completely non-smoking facility. True, the noise from other guests participating in a convention can be frustrating, but I have encountered that at many other hotels. The Desmond is very near the airport, The Colonie Center mall, and lots of other retail and restaurants. It's very convenient to access from the Thruway and the Northway. I have stayed at "luxury" hotels in large cities where the staff were not nearly as courteous. I would definitely stay and dine at the Desmond again.

Room Tip: If I were to do it again I might ask if it's possible to be located further away from convention...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We only live an hour from the Albany airport but when our flight was not due in until after midnight, I decided to stay at the Desmond instead of driving home. You never can tell what the weather will be like and I knew we would be tired. The free parking while we were on our trip mostly paid for the room-a great value.
Room service was great. They arranged for a sandwich and a cocktail to be left in the room before they closed at 11 pm. It was perfect as we were weary and my husband was really ready for his favorite drink.
We had breakfast before going on our way and it was very good.
It made the ending of a great trip just right.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elizxabeth
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was the first time I have stayed at this property. It was a very different and unique atmosphere. The lobby was warm and inviting with a nice fireplace to get you warm as I checked in on a cold winter day. When walking to your room you'll pass into two separate courtyards with a very colonial old time feel to them. It was enjoyable walking to the room. My room was in the second courtyard and I was on the 4th floor. There was only one elevator but it never took too long to arrive. The room was very nice with modern conveniences like a fridge and microwave and nice flat screen TV. The high speed internet was excellent, no pass codes, just turn it on and you are good to go. The bed was comfortable and the room was very soundproof. I had an outside room facing the Albany airport and I never heard a plane or other guests. Here is the reason I'm giving 4 stars and not 5. The toilet was a water saving style, which is good. The toilet paper used was recycled paper, which is good for the environment but bad as a toilet paper. The issue was every time the toilet would flush; the toilet paper would break up and back wash into the toilet. This made it look pretty bad as you would always look down and see broken up pieces of toilet paper. This caused another flush which defeats the water savings. They have a nice pool area, two restaurants and a very nice bar lounge. I would recommend this property for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, has a cool vibe. Looks like you're outside with townhouses all around and a pretty Central Park. Problem with this place is that the walls are PAPER thin! You can hear everything. The first night I was up listening to people slam their doors all night. It was incredibly annoying. Food was good but very expensive. Staff was very nice.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Having stayed at the Desmond while attending a business conferences for many years, I had a "favorite" room. For this year's meeting I made a special request with my assoication for that particular room (a small, one floor suite). My association blocked the room for me with the hotel. Unfortunately the hotel chose not to honor that request. When I arrived to check in I was told that they had a "problem" with the suite so they were upgrading me to a much larger suite. The only "problem" was that the hotel had given my blocked room to someone else in our group. OK, soI got an upgrade. The problem with that was that the suite they put me in was two stories, when I specifically requested the one floor suite. The lower level was so cold (in spite of the space heater that was added) that it was unusable. The added amenities in the suite included a jacuzzi and sauna (not used), so in effect I ended up paying for a suite when the only part of the suite I used was the bedroom and bath. I would have had the same comfort in a regular room at a significantly lower rate. The Desmond won't do that to me again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business